Son got busted Vaping

Ok, so last night he got busted at all places, church parking for his youth group while sitting in his truck with his friends! And you guessed mom busted him as she got there late and wondered why his lights were on. And now we know why his bank account is low. He said he started this summer after his good friend died racing ATVs. But not sure if that is true. I think the whole high school peer pressure had something to do with it. And our good friend at church came out and talked to him, he is Outagamie Cop so hopefully that helped.

But big question how pissed should I be? I kind of chalk it up to growing up and most of us have done way worse but I don't want to make light of it and not sure what I should so he really knows that is bad for him. Plus with him racing it will hurt his endurance for sure!

Thanks

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sensitive and stubborn age for sure.  Don't think I would make a big deal about it.  Talk to him like an adult on why you feel its wrong.

Just now, 2strokemerc said:

I wouldn't be happy either, but at the end of the day they have to find their in life on their own. You can give some guidance but that's about it.

Yes kind of the same place I am but my wife is a little more mad. I said it could be way worse at his age. So, I will tread lightly to get my point across. Just making sure I'm not out of line. As long as he learns I'm ok

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2strokemerc said:

I wouldn't be happy either, but at the end of the day they have to find their in life on their own. You can give some guidance but that's about it.

i kind of agree with this.  in the past 4 years my sons been busted smoking weed,  drinking, sneaking out of the house to hook up with chicks,  sneaking chicks into his room in the middle of the night.  its a sore spot in my house because growing up i did all that and my wife was the non drinking virgin prude through most of her HS years.  

We piss tested him for awhile,  took shit away but end of the day they need to figure out their own shit.  He's getting a little better as we come up on HS graduation  hopefully he won't fuck up too much once he goes to college.  

• Platinum Contributing Member

A bunch of 8th graders at my kids school just got busted "vaping" in the school bathroom last week. Happy neither of my kids were involved, and their response when they told me was "those kids are idiots". Made me happy. Old cat man I hope your son realizes its was stupid and doesnt need that in his life anymore..:bc:

4 minutes ago, old cat man said:

Yes kind of the same place I am but my wife is a little more mad. I said it could be way worse at his age. So, I will tread lightly to get my point across. Just making sure I'm not out of line. As long as he learns I'm ok

Sounds like what a good dad would do.

• Like 1

Just now, Rigid1 said:

A bunch of 8th graders at my kids school just got busted "vaping" in the school bathroom last week. Happy neither of my kids were involved, and their response when they told me was "those kids are idiots". Made me happy. Old cat man I hope your son realizes its was stupid and doesnt need that in his life anymore..:bc:

I hope so, when I get home this weekend there will be some long talks about this. As he has always said smoking is bad. And last year he broke up with is girl friend because she smoked pot, so not sure what changed or if his friend dying this summer really is part of this.

7 minutes ago, old cat man said:

Mine (wife) is like that too and she felt she could exert her authority over our son (almost 18 now) so he just tells her to blow. :lol: We are learning but he's generally a great kid.

Kind of a tough spot Frank. Nick has been a really good kid up until this point. You guys have been keeping him busy and he has stayed out of trouble. I would talk to him and let him know this is the first strike in a 2 strikes and your out game. Maybe ask him to do some research on the hazards of ecigs. Maybe ask him to find a few videos and put together 5-6 minute power point presentation on the harmful effects of electronic cigarettes. He could present his findings to the family and make a comittment not to continue to subject his body to such harm. 

Ask him to do a little research on the subject in lieu of punishment  

Just a thought. . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, old cat man said:

I hope so, when I get home this weekend there will be some long talks about this. As he has always said smoking is bad. And last year he broke up with is girl friend because she smoked pot, so not sure what changed or if his friend dying this summer really is part of this.

if that is the case might be worth it to have him talk to someone.  My son actually showed some maturity and asked about seeing a counselor this fall,    his identity had always been tied with him being a star athlete so tearing his ACL a second time and missing his senior football season was devastating to him and he started making poor choices again.  

1 hour ago, old cat man said:

Yes that is for sure! I had grandma die years ago for smoking and not a good way to go! And these aren't any better.

Not to be a downer but vaping is one red pubic hair away from getting into weed and medicinals. We have a bunch of kids around here who vape and coincidentally the first ones we observed are both struggling heroin/fentanyl addicts. It's not an innocent thing. Find out what was in the vape and act accordingly. Tough age but tougher if he gets deeper. I know this will trigger some here but just my $.02.

Edited by s pump

2 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I'd do what I could to get my kid off that shit.

Neal

Yup.  But all kids will go through the expirimentation phases.  Hopefully he doesn't have an addictive personality.

15 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Omfg. I can't believe what I'm reading here. :lmao:

:lol: My first thought was "vaping what" too.  Certainly this is no big deal if it's just "bacco".  But, I see the concern also.  I bet my kid has already his some green...but I bet she hasn't "vaped".  Such a different society now.