Dow 26,000:

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

How any thinking human can’t see the total detachment from reality in the market is beyond me. The longer this charade goes on the worse the collapse will be. 

Ok.:lol:

Good to diversify and also to invest internationally, but if the us crashes the other markets will drop with it.

On 1/16/2018 at 9:36 PM, ActionfigureJoe said:

Who’s fault will it be when it comes tumbling down? 

:lol:  up almost 9000 points since your prognostication right after the election.  Just stop. 

• Haha 1

Morningstar recently did a nice article on one of the best "real" money managers in the business and one of my personal favourites.

He is quite unique, I like his slogan “if you don’t attack the market differently, you will never beat it.”, pretty much sums it all and yes he can back it up and has.

But like Lipton tea, "Only In Canada".:lol:

https://www.morningstar.ca/ca/news/193466/meet-the-buffett-antithesis.aspx

10 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

I fear a massive SELL OFF coming. 

Well what are you going to do?

The guys who actually manage the "real money" and actually put their own money where their mouth is don't bother wasting time trying to predict futures.  Whether that means equity markets or beta bonds.

So here is yet another AC jewel with an article on what the best economists predicted vs actual interest rates.  Hey guess what, they all got it wrong, what a surprise.  Don't bother wasting your time with losers who can't get anything right cause the guys who continue to outperform certainly don't.:bc:

Graphic  

https://www.edgepointwealth.com/en/Insights/Commentary/2019-Q2-Fixed-income-commentary

On 7/4/2019 at 6:32 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

Morningstar recently did a nice article on one of the best "real" money managers in the business and one of my personal favourites.

He is quite unique, I like his slogan “if you don’t attack the market differently, you will never beat it.”, pretty much sums it all and yes he can back it up and has.

But like Lipton tea, "Only In Canada".:lol:

https://www.morningstar.ca/ca/news/193466/meet-the-buffett-antithesis.aspx

Arguably one of the best in the business and a track record second to none speaks on the current state or the markets.:bc:

Take it for what its worth or just keep arguing about racism.:lol:

Inverted yield.:lol:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/markets/inside-the-market/article-fidelity-investments-portfolio-manager-mark-schmehl-remains-bullish-on/

Fidelity portfolio manager of $10.5-billion is staying bullish on markets. Here’s what he’s buying and selling

Fidelity Investments portfolio manager Mark Schmehl is bullish on the markets right now, in part because most investors aren’t.

“I’ve never seen so many people so scared at the same time, especially when the market is going up,” says Mr. Schmehl, who oversees about $10.5-billion in assets. “The fear and negativity are overwhelming.”

Whether it’s worries about trade wars, the inverted yield curve, or low interest rates, Mr. Schmehl says the concerns are largely overblown.

“I think the most important thing right now is to ignore the nonsense. There is always something to worry about. The end of the world [in markets] never shows up when everyone is waiting for it," he says. "[It happens] when everyone is happy and excited. I’ve never been more bullish because everyone is bearish.”

This approach has been working for the growth-oriented investor. The F-series of his $2.4-billion Fidelity Special Situation Fund, which is generally available for fee-based advisers, has returned 27.9 per cent year-to-date as of June 30. The return was 1.1 per cent year-over-year as of June 30, dragged down by the market correction in the last half of 2018. Longer term, the fund has a compound annual growth rate of 14.4 per cent over the past three years and 12.7 per cent over the past five years. These returns are after the management expense ratio of 1.1 per cent. The fund’s holdings included stocks such as Etsy Inc., Shopify Inc., Canada Goose Holdings Inc. and Suncor Energy Inc. as of the end of March, the most recent information available.

The Globe and Mail recently spoke with Mr. Schmehl about what he’s been buying and selling.

Describe your investing style.

I like really bad companies that are getting better – those are great stocks. I also like really good companies that continue to be great or are changing something in their industry. Those are the stocks I gravitate toward. If it’s not getting better, it’s usually a boring company that doesn’t change much over time, or it’s getting worse and it’s not a stock you want to own. I tend to invest in the tails of the market. About 80 per cent of stocks are in the middle and don’t change that much over time – they can be good or bad, I don’t pay attention to them much because nothing is changing. I like watching fundamental improvements in a company more so than valuations or some other random metric.

What’s your take on the markets right now?

When you look under the hood, there is no question the world economy is slowing. The question is: Does it continue to slow down and we get a recession or is the slowdown baked in and, as central banks start easing, we continue to bump along at the lower growth rate? The latter seems more likely.

In the fourth quarter, we were pretty much priced at a recession. My fund from June to Christmas Eve was down about 36 per cent and now we’ve come back up. I think the markets have figured out the economy isn’t going to go into a recession. It’s just going to slow down and we’ll be back to where we were two years ago, which is slow and boring growth, which is good for growth stocks because growth is scarce.

What’s your view on when the next correction or recession will happen?

We don’t know when the cycle ends. The stock market and economy will blow up when the U.S. Federal Reserve tightens too much. I think the Fed got really close in December [with the quarter-point increase]. They may have just dodged a bullet by a whisker. If they cut rates in July, I think we may be okay. If they don’t, I think we could have trouble. I think that’s what the market is suffering from right now – investors aren’t sure what [U.S. Fed Chairman] Jerome Powell will do.

What have you been buying lately?

[Without naming specific stocks] I have been active in a lot of the recent initial public offerings. I think new companies lead the market. While a lot of these new companies are expensive – which people are happy to tell me – they’re in sectors that are growing and changing. A lot of what I own is digital-transformation stocks. I’ve also been adding to my enterprise software bets, which I think will grow for the next five-to-10 years, and to health care, specifically biotech. Gold is also interesting right now. It’s another sector that hasn’t been very well liked. I don’t have any gold holdings now, but I am watching it.

What have you been selling?

We’ve been continuously selling financials and industrials for months. Cyclical stocks aren’t for me. There’s no growth in a low-growth environment. I am finding better ideas elsewhere. Also, I don’t like energy. There’s too much oil, way too much natural gas. We continue the secular shift away from fossil fuels. I have one energy position, Suncor, which is a company doing better than people think in a sector that’s really hated. On an absolute basis [Suncor] will be fine, because it’s cheap. I look at energy every day because I love sectors where things are awful, but I don’t see it changing any time soon.

What’s the one stock you wish you bought?

A stock I wished I bought a lot sooner is ServiceNow Inc. [a California-based cloud computing services company]. I watched it steadily go up for six years. I could never wrap my head around what they did. I never did the work to figure it out. I should have been all over it. I capitulated last year and bought the stock. [The stock has increased by about 60 per cent over the past 12 months and by more than 400 per cent over the past five years]. It has been a great stock for me, but it would have been a better stock if I owned it years ago.

This interview has been edited and condensed.

59 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

Aren't you making big money yet? Enough to not live in Indiana? 

My family and I havent lived in Indiana for nearly a year you fucking half wit. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 2:49 PM, steve from amherst said:

Seven trading days. That's how long it took the Dow to rocket from 25,000 to 26,000.

The trip above 26,000 was brief: The Dow lost altitude throughout the day and was down by afternoon, erasing a gain of nearly 300 points. There wasn't an obvious catalyst for the pullback.

Still, the Dow has spiked more than 7,000 points, or about 40%, since President Trump's election. The stock market boom reflects enormous excitement on Wall Street about record corporate profits and strong economic growth at home and abroad -- all of which could be boosted by the GOP tax overhaul.

"The market has certainly come out of the gates fast in 2018 after a stellar 2017," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at Wunderlich Securities.

18 months to climb 1,200 points. 

On 1/16/2018 at 3:21 PM, JEFF said:

This is Obama's economy don't you know...

Obama’s was way better. 

On 1/16/2018 at 2:57 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

So basically Trump added more to the Dow in one year than what Obama added in eight.

Wrong. 

On 1/16/2018 at 3:51 PM, f7ben said:

Yah....if you use retard math :lol:

It’s all he knows. 

38 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

18 months to climb 1,200 points. 

Obama’s was way better. 

Wrong. 

It’s all he knows. 

ah no-  there is no possible way anyone rational can say that.  Trumps is not everything he claim,  much of it was already built before he took over but in almost every measurable way it's better today.  

Over 80 all time market highs under Trumps administration in 2.5 years, despite the market being off in 2018.  Net gain in that time around 50%.  Giving Obama credit for the market rebounding to its previous all time high under Bush is more than a little disingenuous.  As such, comparing 8 years of Obama to less than 3 of Trump is pointless at this stage.  

Edited by DriftBusta

47 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Over 80 all time market highs under Trumps administration in 2.5 years, despite the market being off in 28.  Net gain in that time around 50%.  Giving Obama credit for the market rebounding to its previous all time high under Bush is more than a little disingenuous.  As such, comparing 8 years of Obama to less than 3 of Trump is pointless at this stage.  

What percentage did it climb during Obama’s first 3 ?  How much has Trumps gone up?  

Trump took a winning market and claimed it as his own. Since this thread started it’s been bland. 

Just now, revkevsdi said:

What percentage did it climb during Obama’s first 3 ?  How much has Trumps gone up?  

Trump took a winning market and claimed it as his own. Since this thread started it’s been bland. 

I’ll take, “Things financially inept and ignorant people say for $5000”, Alex!

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

I’ll take, “Things financially inept and ignorant people say for $5000”, Alex!

Dumb and dumberer pipes up. 

Still waiting to hear about that $150,000.00 gain on one trade. :lol2: