Horwood Lake Lodge Timmins

brother groove

10 hours ago, brother groove said:

Looking for opinions on this place, is it worth the 8 hr drive? Anyone been this year? Thanks Brother Groove

Were headed up to Cochrane tomorrow...ive fished Horwood lake...but never stayed at the Lodge....unless you like riding around the city trails...more riding options up in cochrane.

5 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Were headed up to Cochrane tomorrow...ive fished Horwood lake...but never stayed at the Lodge....unless you like riding around the city trails...more riding options up in cochrane.

adventure inn? 

Just now, DAVE said:

Packys wrecked that place apparently....thrift lodge accross from the old husky is the plan it looks like.

they did yes but new owners were in last year and fixing it.  I met them at the sled show in 2016 i believe.  (oct show) 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, DAVE said:

The map says the trail from foleyet to Timmins is closed.

Their Facebook page says they headed that way tonight, groomer/brusher, and going as far as Star Lake which is just short of half way to Foyelet.

Always slow to get that section open since the Foyelet club folded a few years back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Their Facebook page says they headed that way tonight, groomer/brusher, and going as far as Star Lake which is just short of half way to Foyelet.

Always slow to get that section open since the Foyelet club folded a few years back.

Still...no much riding around there(horwood)....unless you go offtrail.

21 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

they did yes but new owners were in last year and fixing it.  I met them at the sled show in 2016 i believe.  (oct show) 

Seen some posts on Facebook. People are staying there again and it seems to be doing well.

Even seen posts that people are staying at the Chimo ......lol

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

Seen some posts on Facebook. People are staying there again and it seems to be doing well.

yes the chimo was a real shit hole many many years ago not sure if it still is :lol: 

8 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Still...no much riding around there(horwood)....unless you go offtrail.

They have been advertising themselves as an off trail destination. They post on 705 Snowmobiles all the time.

THE SLEDDERS ARE COMING.
We have snow in Timmins and more is coming this week
Come and enjoy some great off trail riding

Be safe , and ride wherever you want, we will not tell you to stay on the trails, In fact we may entice to jump off and play in the bush or fields.

Where we want you to get off the trails and play in the fields, ditches,hill sides ,old unplowed roads and trails.

9 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

yes the chimo was a real shit hole many many years ago not sure if it still is :lol: 

They must have fixed the place by now. It was falling apart 15 years ago, last time I was there.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They have been advertising themselves as an off trail destination. They post on 705 Snowmobiles all the time.

THE SLEDDERS ARE COMING.
We have snow in Timmins and more is coming this week
Come and enjoy some great off trail riding

Be safe , and ride wherever you want, we will not tell you to stay on the trails, In fact we may entice to jump off and play in the bush or fields.

Where we want you to get off the trails and play in the fields, ditches,hill sides ,old unplowed roads and trails.

Well there ya go. Offtrail it is. :lol:

Ill be riding a titanic sized 1200 gsx special edition...so it will be trails for me. :)

44 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

43 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

I didn't know the Chimo was in Africa. 

That being said, when I was passing thru Cochane on a season salvaging trip to Kap', there didn't appear to be much activity @ the Chimo. There is another motel 'attached' to the Chinese restaurant.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAVE said:

We will be in cochrane (thrift lodge) on Friday

11 hours ago, DAVE said:

It says 180 klms of groomed trails, are they really just "city trails" or are the trails ofsc?

3 hours ago, brother groove said:

It says 180 klms of groomed trails, are they really just "city trails" or are the trails ofsc?

Horwood Lake is out near Foleyet, halfway between Chapleau & Timmins. C101F (or whatever it is called nowadays) is the only OFSC trail in the area.

doesn't really seem the best choice if you are looking to trail ride.  Lots of places up there with better trail access, and probably easier to drive to.  Looking at your current sleds I don't think you are really set up to head out and boondock  in the backcountry all day.

14 minutes ago, Culprit said:

doesn't really seem the best choice if you are looking to trail ride.  Lots of places up there with better trail access, and probably easier to drive to.  Looking at your current sleds I don't think you are really set up to head out and boondock  in the backcountry all day.

Yea, I agree on the boondocking, just jonsing for a dam ride somewhere. Dont really want to drive 9 hrs to find snow !

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, brother groove said:

Yea, I agree on the boondocking, just jonsing for a dam ride somewhere. Dont really want to drive 9 hrs to find snow !

my advice would be to drive to Kirkland Lake and destination ride from there.    KL to Cochrane is an easy ride.  Cochrane to Hearst is pretty easy and a nice ride as well.   If you haven't ridden up there its worth the drive!  I wouldn't recommend Timmins to stay at, as others have said.  I get confused in town there, have only been through a couple times but I always feel lucky I didn't get lost.

So, why not school them in English, proper hygiene, and offer to pitch in and clean the place up?  We are all descendants of immigrants...... :)

On 1/18/2018 at 11:09 AM, Renegade X said:

Because the place smells like shit, they can't talk proper English and oh ya it smells like shit.