2019 Ram

• Gold Member

What’s every bodies feeling on the 48 volt belt driving starter/motor that comes on every model of the ram and the electric front air damn that auto deploys at certain speeds.

i think chevy knocked it out of the park on there new truck...  trail boss trim only though as the rest of the models look mediocre.  But  finally round wheel wells, centered steering wheel and the ford 10 speed.  One thing missing is the 3.6 twin turbo v6 from the Cadillac.  The v8 are great high rpm car motors but truly lack the down low torque for daily driving.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rump-rider said:

I like the look of it but I like the made in Murica GM's more. :bc: Almost went with a Ram last time I bought, but fuel economy and lack of Auto 4wd steered me away in the end.

Don't know what you mean. My ram with the hemi and 8 speed was better in every way than the gm and ford competing models in 2015. Better fuel economy and I have auto 4wd....

47 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Don't know what you mean. My ram with the hemi and 8 speed was better in every way than the gm and ford competing models in 2015. Better fuel economy and I have auto 4wd....

i think everyone had auto 4wd in 2015 :dunno: 

55 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

What’s every bodies feeling on the 48 volt belt driving starter/motor that comes on every model of the ram and the electric front air damn that auto deploys at certain speeds.

i think chevy knocked it out of the park on there new truck...  trail boss trim only though as the rest of the models look mediocre.  But  finally round wheel wells, centered steering wheel and the ford 10 speed.  One thing missing is the 3.6 twin turbo v6 from the Cadillac.  The v8 are great high rpm car motors but truly lack the down low torque for daily driving.

I watched some more detailed videos from some jabronie "Mr Truck" on both.  From what I gather the starter/motor thing actually replaces the alternator, and charged whenever the brakes are used or some such nonsense.  It doesn't help increase the hp/torque ratings, but is more meant as something to enhance acceleration at lower speeds.  As long as its a reliable high mileage piece, I can sort of get the point.  Generally, the few vehicles I've driven with that auto stop/start feature were semi annoying.  I really like both the new trucks, I'd have to see them up close and drive them.  Seems like the Ram has a fancier interior with that giant 12" screen, reclining rear seats, etc.. but thats probably splitting hairs.

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Good tech, all to improve MPG's, vehicles with 48 volt systems are supposed to see a 15-20% increase in MPG's.

My CT6 has the 3.0 TT and I was surprised how well it moved the car out when I test drove it, maybe I should put a receiver on it :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Rams have always been fuel drinkers and my friends with them say the new ones are no different. And Auto was only available on the fancy trims when I looked.

• Gold Member
38 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I watched some more detailed videos from some jabronie "Mr Truck" on both.  From what I gather the starter/motor thing actually replaces the alternator, and charged whenever the brakes are used or some such nonsense.  It doesn't help increase the hp/torque ratings, but is more meant as something to enhance acceleration at lower speeds.  As long as its a reliable high mileage piece, I can sort of get the point.  Generally, the few vehicles I've driven with that auto stop/start feature were semi annoying.  I really like both the new trucks, I'd have to see them up close and drive them.  Seems like the Ram has a fancier interior with that giant 12" screen, reclining rear seats, etc.. but thats probably splitting hairs.

The thing I don’t like about it is it belt driven off the accessory system...  so it has to spin the engine to create movement.  Gm hybrid back in the day was pretty cool.  It would move those trucks on electric at like 10 mph give or take on battery alone.

i do think the ram system will make for almost seemless start/stop though as the electric motor will start everything instantly when coming of the brake pedal

Edited by BOHICA

47 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

The thing I don’t like about it is it belt driven off the accessory system...  so it has to spin the engine to create movement.  Gm hybrid back in the day was pretty cool.  It would move those trucks on electric at like 10 mph give or take on battery alone.

i do think the ram system will make for almost seemless start/stop though as the electric motor will start everything instantly when coming of the brake pedal

The only thing that concerns me is all these complex new systems and electronics on these overpriced pos's need to be reliable.  I remember when I did need a work truck for work, and having to have a couple power strokes flatbedded to the dealer because they wouldn't start.  For what they cost, they better be dead nuts reliable.

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

All about 50% too much. truck! S the $25k pickup? 

And not a basic 2wd work Truck! 

Even used ones are priced pretty handsomely.  I've been passively watching for a 15-17 Silverado 4 door with lower miles.  I could just as well buy new...

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Even used ones are priced pretty handsomely.  I've been passively watching for a 15-17 Silverado 4 door with lower miles.  I could just as well buy new...

That's why I went new a few yrs ago. Looked for 6 months and the best I could find was 1 yr old with 30k on it for $3k less.

18 hours ago, hayward said:

hey Analer, when you have 80,000 miles and your 19 ram is  a year and a half old, let me know.  I think I could afford one then.  :lol:

Got 94k on my 3 year old Ram now, you interested? Just had the 100k tune up done. :bc:

2 hours ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Got 94k on my 3 year old Ram now, you interested? Just had the 100k tune up done. :bc:

I don't know man, i'm sure it's hauled a ski-doo a time or two in all those miles.  Probly tainted from that....

Wouldn't be afraid of it at all, except for the salt exposure, which they all get in the north.  As soon as the kid gets home from her "vacation", she'll probly get her license, and then the hunt will be on.  Our 07 with 173,000 will go to her.  We have a feeling it won't last long after she'll have it.  :lol:

Edited by hayward

3 minutes ago, hayward said:

I don't know man, i'm sure it's hauled a ski-doo a time or two in all those miles.  Probly tainted from that....

Wouldn't be afraid of it at all, except for the salt exposure, which they all get in the north.  As soon as the kid gets home from her "vacation", she'll probly get her license, and then the hunt will be on.  Our 07 with 173,000 will go to her.  We have a feeling it won't last long after she'll have it.  :lol:

I drive it everyday. Runs great. needs some new shocks tho... :bc: