Let’s talk Jeeps!

On 1/12/2018 at 1:51 PM, Zambroski said:

So, it’s getting time for a couple of new rides.  My wife and daughter have both expressed interest in Jeep.  My daughter wants the new 2018 Compass (doesn’t like old style) and my wife is considering the GC or Cherokee.  I can go a used one with her as I’m cheap.  Of course, I want the Trailhawk version of each but...meh.

Anyway, I had a wrangler years ago and it was a mess reliability wise, but better than most.  So, any input if you have these more recent models would be nice if you have some miles on them.  Good and reliable or still just “Jeeps”?  Years to avoid if used? Etc...

@Woodtick  I know you have a couple...so??

I have a 14 g c Limited. It's been Stone reliable but I don't really enjoy driving it for some reason. It might be the breathy 6 cylinder or the back and forth side to side ride quality when not loaded. I think they're pretty good rigs but really not an enjoyable car to drive. I think I have 70,000 or so on it now with nothing but a new set of tires.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:09 AM, Sporty Girl said:

So far other then the gutless I love it. I have the 4x4 and it's great in the snow. Really don't need the 4x4 unless it's really bad.  Only thing i dislike about it is road noise and lots of blind spots.

Blind spots are one of the things I hate about the Grand Cherokee as well. Looking out the left side the mirror and roof pillar block about 40 square feet in front of you. Not sure what they were thinking.

14 minutes ago, s pump said:

Blind spots are one of the things I hate about the Grand Cherokee as well. Looking out the left side the mirror and roof pillar block about 40 square feet in front of you. Not sure what they were thinking.

a pillars on a  lot of vehicles have gotten that way,  it's part of what the wife hated about the explorer.  

• 2 months later...

So...picked up a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.  Damn thing is nice as hell.  Every option including one of those glass panaramic roof deals.  That is cool!  Now, my wife and daughter can decide who gets that one.  It's amazing how antiquated it makes even a 4-6 year old vehicle look.  I mean...fuck me!  It's like  a space ship in that thing.  All computerized and fancy smancy.  40k miles, southern car...at about 60% of the cost of new!  YEP!  That's how it's done!

Jeep GC.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ZamHammer said:

So...picked up a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.  Damn thing is nice as hell.  Every option including one of those glass panaramic roof deals.  That is cool!  Now, my wife and daughter can decide who gets that one.  It's amazing how antiquated it makes even a 4-6 year old vehicle look.  I mean...fuck me!  It's like  a space ship in that thing.  All computerized and fancy smancy.  40k miles, southern car...at about 60% of the cost of new!  YEP!  That's how it's done!

Jeep GC.jpg

That's a nice car

Welder guy called today and said that my custom D30 front axle housing is done.

It's been sleeved, gusseted, and turned 4.5° to compensate for the 4.5" lift I have. Now I just have to swap the axle guts over and put it in. Pretty stoked to get some handling back after driving my GC around like a shopping cart. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

It's been sleeved, gusseted, and turned 4.5° to compensate for the 4.5" lift I have. Now I just have to swap the axle guts over and put it in. Pretty stoked to get some handling back after driving my GC around like a shopping cart. 

Pics or it doesn't count! ☺👍

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

:lol:

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Pics or it doesn't count! ☺👍

YUP!

2 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Are you doing anything with your front driveshaft after rotating it 4.4°? My wrangler lift kit came with a new front double cardan driveshaft . Even that seems unhappy at highway speeds. Thinking I may be looking at a full built rolled front axle.  

48 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

You put a 4.5 lift in the GC? What are you running for tires? 👍

Yeah I've had it on it for almost two years now. Clayton long arm. 

I'm running duratrac 265/60? on 18" jk wheels with 1" spacers.

7 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Are you doing anything with your front driveshaft after rotating it 4.4°? My wrangler lift kit came with a new front double cardan driveshaft . Even that seems unhappy at highway speeds. Thinking I may be looking at a full built rolled front axle.  

No, I have a double cardan on it already, it came stock on the overland GC's. In order to get it to quiet down though I had to rotate all the caster out of it. I'm at like -2° caster and stock is supposed to be -6 to -7°. That's why it drives like a shopping cart right now. I only get a little bit of noise if I'm in 4wd, but i can do 80 on the highway with no noise at all in 2wd.

Now that I've had the cut and turn done, I should get all that caster back and still have a good driveshaft angle.

A double cardan driveshaft is supposed to line up almost perfectly with the pinion shaft to eliminate vibration at speed. 

If you have it adjusted properly and you're still getting noise, your shaft may be out of balance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, ZamHammer said:

Jeep GC.jpg

We love ours. Bought it new back in August :bc:

Snapchat-630412428.jpg

Just now, DAVE said:

So all that jeep bashing when you had the girls hummer was just was hot air.... @Woodtick

Yes it was. I bought this Jeep new in 08. I wheeled with a Hummer club I’m still in out in Moab. I’m not a brand blind Phaggit like AMG. 

AFC21AD5-629E-4BC3-9710-A3D72F0A488E.jpeg

0050E54F-880B-4C8E-A4D8-9499B2F54B0C.jpeg

711B66B0-08BE-45FC-ADD4-A0C0DB4315C7.jpeg

DB10D8F3-256E-4452-A660-0E7FE152F179.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm,        With all this jeep talk im thinking i might just go down south n pick up something rust free,, driver back east and see what i can get up here.

these thing are fetching stuupid money around here. 

Anyone here lookin???

14 minutes ago, old indy said:

Hmmm,        With all this jeep talk im thinking i might just go down south n pick up something rust free,, driver back east and see what i can get up here.

these thing are fetching stuupid money around here. 

Anyone here lookin???

Im thinking of getting one next winter as a 2nd vehicle while im in AZ.

47 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Nice @Zambroski ,we love ours. Just put 4600 miles on it in two weeks.

Yeah, this thing is quite nice. I mean, impressively nice.  Nothing like my older previous jeeps for sure but that kinda goes without saying as they were older (and one was a wrangler).  My daughter drove me up to the store in it yesterday.  It's just plain bad ass.  I think she is laying the claim for it.

• Thanks 1