Let’s talk Jeeps!

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I’ve been driving up north since the 70’s and while those little suv’s will get you there you can’t beat a long wheelbase and some weight. Tahoe, Suburban, sequoia, expedition...you get the idea.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I’ve been driving up north since the 70’s and while those little suv’s will get you there you can’t beat a long wheelbase and some weight. Tahoe, Suburban, sequoia, expedition...you get the idea.

My Cammander is a beast in the snow, it's both heavy and a long wheel base. @Arctic Cat Destroyer Wasn't in it at the time, but he sledded down some of the trails I took it down.

IMG_3704.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG

25 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My Cammander is a beast in the snow, it's both heavy and a long wheel base. @Arctic Cat Destroyer Wasn't in it at the time, but he sledded down some of the trails I took it down.

IMG_3704.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG

Jeep's have always been great off road vehicles IMO. My only problem with them in the past was:

1. Reliability

2. They were prone to rust. 

Personally I think my next vehicle could be a grand Cherokee. I love the new models. 

1 minute ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Jeep's have always been great off road vehicles IMO. My only problem with them in the past was:

1. Reliability

2. They were prone to rust. 

Personally I think my next vehicle could be a grand Cherokee. I love the new models. 

Those two things are my biggest concern.  I don’t wanna chase mechanical or body rust issues.  I take really good care of my vehicles but some just fall apart no matter what.

Just now, Zambroski said:

Those two things are my biggest concern.  I don’t wanna chase mechanical or body rust issues.  I take really good care of my vehicles but some just fall apart no matter what.

The v-6 pentastar? Has been pretty rock solid for years. The other mechanical issues of the Dodge products of the past has greatly improved. My observance is around 2011-12 there was a big improvement in quality. I don't think I could own anything pre 2011. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

My 08 is rust free. I don't feel the newer Jeeps have the rust problems like the old ones.

IMG_2945.JPG

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My 08 is rust free. I don't feel the newer Jeeps have the rust problems like the old ones.

IMG_2945.JPG

Yeah.  I think a lot depend on the vehicle design.  I got tired of chasing rust on my Silverado’s.  Enough already.  Not doing that again.

3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

IMG_2945.JPG

My bud has a grand cherokee, I don't know what year it is it's older but it is rusting like an sob. It's probably a mid/late 2000's model. He says he still likes it and continues to drive it. 

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

Kind of hoping they do a Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer update. Probably won't come with solid axles though...

I saw a concept Jeep truck that looks pretty sweet, that had solid axles. I doubt we'll see it on the road though.

There’s a grand wagoneer coming built on the Durango chassis. Looks like a puffed up GC.

• Thanks 1

I had a 92 Cherokee back in my college days and had a shit load of fun with it off roading all over copper country.  I’ve had an ‘03 BMW X5 since 2011.  I was really looking for an ‘04 or newer to get the X drive transfer case but couldn’t pass this one up.  Can’t say it’s been trouble free but mostly it’s stuff like door handle carriers and window clips.  The wife doesn’t really care for it though - she says it feels too heavy and the steering is too stiff.  When it came time for her to get a new ride this past summer we ended up getting a 2017 Ford Escape and it’s friggin sweet.  But it’s only friggin sweet if you pretty much get one fully optioned like we did.  That means getting a Titanium trim level and then also finding one with the 2.0 L turbo and 4wd.  If you’re considering Grand Cherokee prices though, it should be in the same realm.  If you want something even nicer, the Lincoln MKC is basically a slightly wider track version of the Escape and is available with the 285 hp 2.3 turbo.

We didn’t even consider the Jeep lineup, having heard too many reliability issues, mainly transmission.  

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Why would you buy anything else than fully loaded?

You should ride with her before you say that.  I’ve put my brake foot through the passenger side floor so many times, I just leave the hole there now.  I have to replace the mat a half dozen times a year.

• Haha 1