Let’s talk Jeeps!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Ok, you Jeep fellers!  Does this seem like a good deal?  Think I'm gonna go snatch it up today if it is.  Seems good but not sold in 25 days?  What am I missing here?

https://duluth.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-jeep-rubicon-unlimited/6609977739.html

Get your face up underneath there make sure nothing is leaking rusty or dangling. Put it in 4wd and drive it make sure everything works. Seems pricey but I haven’t looked at them in a while. 

8 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Get your face up underneath there make sure nothing is leaking rusty or dangling. Put it in 4wd and drive it make sure everything works. Seems pricey but I haven’t looked at them in a while. 

Yeah, faggot Jeep people are keeping resale prices insane!  :lmao:

It's pretty amazing what they are getting for used around here.  It just hit me as a bit cheap for a low mileage, late model Rubicon.  I think I'd prefer a two door but....would prefer a killer deal before any of it (except color).

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Has it had that plow on it from the second pic?

I'm betting so.  Can't imagine it makes for a good plow vehicle.  Do plows goof them up?

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Ok, you Jeep fellers!  Does this seem like a good deal?  Think I'm gonna go snatch it up today if it is.  Seems good but not sold in 25 days?  What am I missing here?

https://duluth.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-jeep-rubicon-unlimited/6609977739.html

Seems like a pretty good deal for sure.  The 3.8 motor is an anemic POS but they were "fairly" reliable.  Definitely not as reliable as the 4.0 straight 6 but better than the first year of the 3.6 that replaced it in 2012.  The low mileage is nice.  I would say that $23k is a fair deal if you are looking for a JKU.  

I doubt it was ever a plow truck.  If it was then you might steer clear or offer lower.  

Edited by AKIQPilot

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, faggot Jeep people are keeping resale prices insane!  :lmao:

It's pretty amazing what they are getting for used around here.  It just hit me as a bit cheap for a low mileage, late model Rubicon.  I think I'd prefer a two door but....would prefer a killer deal before any of it (except color).

I'm betting so.  Can't imagine it makes for a good plow vehicle.  Do plows goof them up?

Just a lot of wear and tear plowing all the time. Different story if it was just a guy doing his driveway.

37 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Seems like a pretty good deal for sure.  The 3.8 motor is an anemic POS but they were "fairly" reliable.  Definitely not as reliable as the 4.0 straight 6 but better than the first year of the 3.6 that replaced it in 2012.  The low mileage is nice.  I would say that $23k is a fair deal if you are looking for a JKU.  

I doubt it was ever a plow truck.  If it was then you might steer clear or offer lower.  

So do you think the pre-2012 models are solid?  I'm kinda looking around the 2010-2014 models right now. 

36 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Just a lot of wear and tear plowing all the time. Different story if it was just a guy doing his driveway.

It was just used to plow his driveway.

41 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

So do you think the pre-2012 models are solid?  I'm kinda looking around the 2010-2014 models right now. 

It was just used to plow his driveway.

Yes the 07-11 models were solid.  The motor through those years was the 3.8L V6.  It was a little underpowered but plenty good enough for daily transportation.  It had less get up and go than the I6 of previous years but got slightly better fuel economy.  In 2012 the 3.6L V6 came out and it was a much more sporty motor.  A few first year problems for the 3.6 but overall I think it was a solid motor.  

Drivetrain wise the 2011 Rubi is solid for sure.  

10 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yes the 07-11 models were solid.  The motor through those years was the 3.8L V6.  It was a little underpowered but plenty good enough for daily transportation.  It had less get up and go than the I6 of previous years but got slightly better fuel economy.  In 2012 the 3.6L V6 came out and it was a much more sporty motor.  A few first year problems for the 3.6 but overall I think it was a solid motor.  

Drivetrain wise the 2011 Rubi is solid for sure.  

:bc:

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to get one as a toy and not put big miles on, pick one up with around 100k on the clicker. They are cheaper and rust free in the south west. If I pull the plug on one, I will be making a vacation out of it.  For some reason,the Low mile Ones in the Mid west are way over priced.

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

If you are going to get one as a toy and not put big miles on, pick one up with around 100k on the clicker. They are cheaper and rust free in the south west. If I pull the plug on one, I will be making a vacation out of it.  For some reason,the Low mile Ones in the Mid west are way over priced.

I've kind of been thinking about getting a Cherokee to pair with Chondra the CRV or replace her.  If it is in the price range I'm interested it, it is most likely a rust bucket.  

Edited by racinfarmer

8 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I've kind of been thinking about getting a Cherokee to part with Chondra the CRV or replace her.  If it is in the price range I'm interested it, it is most likely a rust bucket.  

There is a few years of bad transmission on the newer Cherokee. Do some research.

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

There is a few years of bad transmission on the newer Cherokee. Do some research.

I was looking at the old boxy styles.  They are easy enough to work on and cheap enough to source parts for, I'm not too concerned.  

1993JeepCountry.jpg

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I was looking at the old boxy styles.  They are easy enough to work on and cheap enough to source parts for, I'm not too concerned.  

1993JeepCountry.jpg

If you can find one rust free, it will go for ever. It’s nothing to see them with 300k on them. The newer Fiat one has the trans problems.

Edited by Woodtick

4 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

If you can find one rust free, it will go for ever. It’s nothing to see them with 300k on them. The newer Fiat one has the trans problems.

I found a yellow one from the early 2000's with minor rust and an engine tick for $800.  Probably should have bought it.  I'm pretty sure all those 4.0's tick after 48.25 miles from new.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

1993JeepCountry.jpg

Around here you can get a very nice ‘99-‘01 XJ for aroubd $5000. Rust free. Low miles and very few mods. 

The older ones like in your picture are much cheaper than that. 

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Around here you can get a very nice ‘99-‘01 XJ for aroubd $5000. Rust free. Low miles and very few mods. 

The older ones like in your picture are much cheaper than that. 

It would be like 1/2 farm vehicle and 1/2 terrorize the pasture with it.  Cheap is good in this case.  the CRV has been pretty good at it so far.  

5 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I found a yellow one from the early 2000's with minor rust and an engine tick for $800.  Probably should have bought it.  I'm pretty sure all those 4.0's tick after 48.25 miles from new.  

That's what Lucas oil stabilizer is for

5 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

That's what Lucas oil stabilizer is for

I like the old diesel mechanics trick of a few oil changes in quick succession (sub-50 miles) with a quart of kerosene or diesel as the last quart to go in.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Probably can't build it for that, but I'd say no.  2000 with 150k on it.  I don't care how often his 16 year old daughter maintained it or drove it or whatever.