Let’s talk Jeeps!

• Platinum Contributing Member
36 minutes ago, old indy said:

Hmmm,        With all this jeep talk im thinking i might just go down south n pick up something rust free,, driver back east and see what i can get up here.

these thing are fetching stuupid money around here. 

Anyone here lookin???

Its a following. Almost cult like. Same with VW. And both have very low reviews.

If your gonna buy a used one thats a great place to look.  Last week iwas looking at a friends jeep here hes had since about 93 and although it hasent seen winter since 97 his frame is still fucked. the tubs getting rough, the floor has been patched a few times and three tail gates later it needs another. 

im thinking i grab a solid one for around 10k,  i can turn a reasonable profit up here in New England.          :dunno:

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Its a following. Almost cult like. Same with VW. And both have very low reviews.

It nuts Right,  both are crappy to start with, add a few years and they are junk around here.

Edited by old indy

7 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Yeah, no doubt.  More so with the Wrangler type crowd.  Owners always wave when the pass.  Same way with corvettes.

31 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

The prices on Used Wranglers is dropping. The market is flooded with them. 

Not  that I’ve seen up here.  Stupid high resale.

5-6 years ago, when I was browsing Craig’s, I spotted a $20k 1978 CJ golden eagle that had a documented, frame up restoration done.  BEAUTIFUL!!!! By the time my wife got tired of listening to me hemming and hawing about it a week later, it was gone.  

FAE2D479-EF2C-4835-B33C-E0586940C71D.gif

27 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Got my axle swap parts all ordered. It's a ton of shit! The last bit will be arriving this week. 

Hopefully I'll be able to get it to the shop next week and get this project done.

Did you look in to swapping out to a Carbon- Currie axle?

MTJCRTM4MzUxQkY3QzJBMkE3OUM6N2VhOGVhNzNiYmM5Yjg4YmRjMmE2NmNiYTllMGEyYmU6Ojo6OjA=

31 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Got my axle swap parts all ordered. It's a ton of shit! The last bit will be arriving this week. 

Hopefully I'll be able to get it to the shop next week and get this project done.

What axles are you putting under it?  Are you fabricating a bunch of the stuff yourself or were you able to find a bolt on kit?  Long Arms?  Do local shops in your area perform these upgrades or are you getting it into a shop where you can do all the work?

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

What axles are you putting under it?  Are you fabricating a bunch of the stuff yourself or were you able to find a bolt on kit?  Long Arms?  Do local shops in your area perform these upgrades or are you getting it into a shop where you can do all the work?

I'm just swapping out housings on a D30. Had a cut and turn done to get some caster back and had it sleeved and gusseted. Just going to put the stock varilok innards back in it for now. 

I've had a Clayton 4.5" front long arm on it for almost two years now. Been driving it around with like -2° of caster this whole time lol. Did a short arm with Clayton springs in the rear at that same time I did the front long arm. I'll probably upgrade to the long arm rear in the future. A little bit at a time seems to help my marriage lol.

I have a friend who is a wrench at the local Jeep dealer that helps me out once in a while. I'm probably going to take this to another mechanic I know who has done a couple Jeep builds, though. We'll see how much my buddy wants to do in my garage. 

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I see.  What shafts are you planning to run?  

I'm just running all stock stuff for now. Stock driveshafts and axles. I did a 242 tcase swap and did a hack and tap kit last year so I can use the same DC driveshaft in the front and the rear. 

28 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I'm just swapping out housings on a D30. Had a cut and turn done to get some caster back and had it sleeved and gusseted. Just going to put the stock varilok innards back in it for now. 

I've had a Clayton 4.5" front long arm on it for almost two years now. Been driving it around with like -2° of caster this whole time lol. Did a short arm with Clayton springs in the rear at that same time I did the front long arm. I'll probably upgrade to the long arm rear in the future. A little bit at a time seems to help my marriage lol.

I have a friend who is a wrench at the local Jeep dealer that helps me out once in a while. I'm probably going to take this to another mechanic I know who has done a couple Jeep builds, though. We'll see how much my buddy wants to do in my garage. 

Roger that.  I'm guessing you are going back to something like 6 or 7 degrees of caster?  For our crawlers we go for 0 caster.  The additional turning angle and smaller turning radius is very helpful.  We don't ever get over about 40MPH so zero caster is fine.  just don't let go of the wheel at speed, LOL.  I have 1.5 degrees of caster in my XJ.  I like some return to center capability.  

I remember now you long armed the front a while back.  After years of installing Slip Yoke Eliminator kits for people I did a hack and tap on mine back in 2014.  I too run the same length drive shaft front and rear.  These days we don't waste any money on an SYE, it's hack and tap or an Atlas.  If a person has HP they need an Atlas anyway.  For stockish power a H&T is plenty strong.  Haven't seen one break yet.  I'm spinning 44" AG tires on 5.38 geared Dana 60's.  The H&T is the least of my concerns.  

I'm headed out now to work on my Jeep.  We have a big wheeling weekend planned soon and I havent even looked at my jeep since I put it away in September.   

On 4/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, Zambroski said:

So...picked up a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.  Damn thing is nice as hell.  Every option including one of those glass panaramic roof deals.  That is cool!  Now, my wife and daughter can decide who gets that one.  It's amazing how antiquated it makes even a 4-6 year old vehicle look.  I mean...fuck me!  It's like  a space ship in that thing.  All computerized and fancy smancy.  40k miles, southern car...at about 60% of the cost of new!  YEP!  That's how it's done!

Jeep GC.jpg

Have a 14 Limited, its been a good rig.

6 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Roger that.  I'm guessing you are going back to something like 6 or 7 degrees of caster?  For our crawlers we go for 0 caster.  The additional turning angle and smaller turning radius is very helpful.  We don't ever get over about 40MPH so zero caster is fine.  just don't let go of the wheel at speed, LOL.  I have 1.5 degrees of caster in my XJ.  I like some return to center capability.  

I remember now you long armed the front a while back.  After years of installing Slip Yoke Eliminator kits for people I did a hack and tap on mine back in 2014.  I too run the same length drive shaft front and rear.  These days we don't waste any money on an SYE, it's hack and tap or an Atlas.  If a person has HP they need an Atlas anyway.  For stockish power a H&T is plenty strong.  Haven't seen one break yet.  I'm spinning 44" AG tires on 5.38 geared Dana 60's.  The H&T is the least of my concerns.  

I'm headed out now to work on my Jeep.  We have a big wheeling weekend planned soon and I havent even looked at my jeep since I put it away in September.   

Yeah trying to get it back to stock caster. I think 6 - 7 is stock, so I'm hoping to get it close. 

It's kind of a daily driver/second vehicle so I'm just making it safer for that purpose. 

Damn those are some meats! :lol:

3 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Yeah trying to get it back to stock caster. I think 6 - 7 is stock, so I'm hoping to get it close. 

It's kind of a daily driver/second vehicle so I'm just making it safer for that purpose. 

Damn those are some meats! :lol:

I've probably posted these before.  2001 Jeep XJ.  Stock motor and tranny.  Stockish transfer case with 2wd low range and a Hack and Tap.  Built High Pinion D60 up front with 35 spline Chromo Axles and a Spartan locker.  Corp 14 in the rear with Chromo shafts and a Detroit locker.  PSC full hydro steering.  5.38 Yukon gears. 109" wheelbase, 8" longer than stock.  4 wheel disc brakes.  I built the entire thing.  Fabbed every bracket.  Made my own cross member.  Fabbed all the links.  Installed the lockers and set the gears.   Power windows, power locks, cruise control.  Everything works like it it came from the factory.  

I wheel the shit out of this thing all summer long.  

The smoke is coming from a buggy behind me.  

10439442_10152787189281513_8234162439777

1546008_10152086469701513_77421365369558

10155551_10152217400591513_5657686649395

11535720_10152857407531513_8149116636292

• Like 4

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

Hell yeah that's the nuts right there! Nice rig! 👍👍

It's fun.  We have a blast jeepin and camping all summer.  

I'm planning to throw a 100 shot of nitrous at it this year.  Nitrous Express has a complete kit for about $500 and nitrous is cheap.  A 50% power increase should wake things up a little.  They say these 4.0's are bullet proof.  We are about to find out.  :lol2: