Let’s talk Jeeps!

So, it’s getting time for a couple of new rides.  My wife and daughter have both expressed interest in Jeep.  My daughter wants the new 2018 Compass (doesn’t like old style) and my wife is considering the GC or Cherokee.  I can go a used one with her as I’m cheap.  Of course, I want the Trailhawk version of each but...meh.

Anyway, I had a wrangler years ago and it was a mess reliability wise, but better than most.  So, any input if you have these more recent models would be nice if you have some miles on them.  Good and reliable or still just “Jeeps”?  Years to avoid if used? Etc...

@Woodtick  I know you have a couple...so??

Never understood Jeeps at all. They are very popular down here for some reason. To me they are totally useless. They suck at pulling shit , suck at hauling shit and you cant fit shit in them. Its like a car that gets shit mileage and some people think looks cool.

• Like 1

Just now, f7ben said:

Never understood Jeeps at all. They are very popular down here for some reason. To me they are totally useless. They suck at pulling shit , suck at hauling shit and you cant fit shit in them. Its like a car that gets shit mileage and some people think looks cool.

Yeah, the wrangler is nothing but a convertible for men.  Ride like shit and for shit in the winter and isn’t good for much other than some light off road romping.  Still, I’d own another for the North shore cruising.  But the girls are looking at the suvs and I don’t know much about them.

Just now, Zambroski said:

Yeah, the wrangler is nothing but a convertible for men.  Ride like shit and for shit in the winter and isn’t good for much other than some light off road romping.  Still, I’d own another for the North shore cruising.  But the girls are looking at the suvs and I don’t know much about them.

Cant say I know much about them either other then they used to have a terrible rep for reliability. I'm sure its much better now. Drew's old lady has a new GC and its really nice

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

None of these are actual Jeeps. They're cars.

The only real Jeeps left are the Wranglers. 

Ok...valid point.  But, not helping me at all.

Unless you can explain that to two blondes I live with who like “Jeeps”.

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

None of these are actual Jeeps. They're cars.

The only real Jeeps left are the Wranglers. 

Ummm, exactly. The only Jeep is a Wrangler.  The others mentioned are cars.  And not all that relaibale cars at that. They also depreciate super fast, much faster than a Jeep. 

We are looking for a Wrangler or a Wrangler U to pull behind the moho. I want a JKU but my wife thinks the regular JK is more practical for us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

A Compass and a Cherokee it is then.

:lol:

5 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

I had a new Cherokee for a loaner, it sounded like a lawn mower. Really cheap feeling. The grand cherokees are ok. Why don’t you get them a couple new land rovers you cheap fuck. 

Land rovers?  Ick.  I mean, first off...complete piles of shit.  Secondly, can a person drive a Land Rover and not look like a pretentious douche?  I think not.

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Ummm, exactly. The only Jeep is a Wrangler.  The others mentioned are cars.  And not all that relaibale cars at that. They also depreciate super fast, much faster than a Jeep. 

We are looking for a Wrangler or a Wrangler U to pull behind the moho. I want a JKU but my wife thinks the regular JK is more practical for us. 

The 2018 Rubis look nice. 👍

• Platinum Contributing Member

:lol:

Land rovers?  Ick.  I mean, first off...complete piles of shit.  Secondly, can a person drive a Land Rover and not look like a pretentious douche?  I think not.

2010-2012 rav 4 for the daughter, 2016 rav 4 for the wife.. 

My buds wife has the Cherokee, she likes it, I think they’re junk. The GC is very nice, but a little tight on the inside compared to full size rides.

2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

2010-2012 rav 4 for the daughter, 2016 rav 4 for the wife.. 

Yeah.  I love Toyota and that’s what my wife has now (Lexus).  But neither like the RAVS and I even pointed out he new ones which I like.

I think I’m just gonna kill them off and find a better family.  It’d be easier....and cheaper.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JEFF said:

This one is fun as long as it's not a long highway ride.

The Wranglers hold their value like crazy.

JEEP.JPG

I know!  A couple of craigslist searches led me right into looking for a wrangler.  WTF??????  Even used are big bucks!!!!!!!   But I’ll own another some day.  Maybe sooner than later.

Yeah.  I love Toyota and that’s what my wife has now (Lexus).  But neither like the RAVS and I even pointed out he new ones which I like.

I think I’m just gonna kill them off and find a better family.  It’d be easier....and cheaper.

lol, It is nice being a single guy and just having a GF..

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

My buds wife has the Cherokee, she likes it, I think they’re junk. The GC is very nice, but a little tight on the inside compared to full size rides.

Yeah not much space for the money.

Now if they were still solid axle and you could lift them, they might be worth it.

8 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Tons of those things on the road here.  I think they lease a lot of them.  They look decent though.  Especially the Trailhawk versions.

I drive a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk with the factory tow package, I have zero issue pulling my hybrid trailer with 2 sleds. It is a surprisingly very capable off road vehicle,  2 speed transfer case and rear locking diff. I have taken mine down some trails that people thought I had no business being on and I have handled it with ease. Yeah, I know its a Fiat and not a "real Jeep" but you would be amazed at what it can do. Stay away from the 2.4 L and they 2015 and 2016 had issues with the 9 speed transmission  that seemed to have been rectified on the 17's. You can fit 2 adults in the back comfortably but 3 would be a tight fit. Rear compartment is also tight, I can only fit 3 sets of golf clubs in at a time and anything as long as a hockey stick requires you to fold down the rear seat. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Its a following , almost like the VW thing.

19 minutes ago, Pusher said:

I drive a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk with the factory tow package, I have zero issue pulling my hybrid trailer with 2 sleds. It is a surprisingly very capable off road vehicle,  2 speed transfer case and rear locking diff. I have taken mine down some trails that people thought I had no business being on and I have handled it with ease. Yeah, I know its a Fiat and not a "real Jeep" but you would be amazed at what it can do. Stay away from the 2.4 L and they 2015 and 2016 had issues with the 9 speed transmission  that seemed to have been rectified on the 17's. You can fit 2 adults in the back comfortably but 3 would be a tight fit. Rear compartment is also tight, I can only fit 3 sets of golf clubs in at a time and anything as long as a hockey stick requires you to fold down the rear seat. 

Yeah, some decent values to be had on the 16 and 17's. I think I read that the 9 speed was pretty much worked out by the 16 model but..don't know.

Welcome to the forum too!  :bc: