THE NEW PHONE BOOK IS HERE.....THE NEW PHONE BOOK IS HERE !!!1

f7ben

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Sled is running ....sounds very nice. Much throatier and deeper than the 800. Got it full of coolant and made a lap or two around the yard and down into the field. Throttle response is instant and it feels great. I think this setup when dialed is gonna give a lot of sleds fits.

I do have an issue with a gas leak on the fuel rail of the carbs and not sure how or why that happened. I'm gonna have to pull them out and see why its leaking.

Also cranking compression seems awful high for what should be an 87 pump gas motor. Getting about 155 across all three when warm. Might have to pull a head and CC it .....I'll see what the triple guys say on HCS first 

Stock on that engine is .085 squish with compression 120-125 and will run 87 octane.

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Stock on that engine is .085 squish with compression 120-125 and will run 87 octane.

Yes .....I will check the squish but it should be in the .75 range given what others have seen and done. I will run it some more and check compression again. I'd like to see it settle around 140 lbs. Cranking compression is just a number. I should probably pull a head and CC it to make absolutely sure

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Yes .....I will check the squish but it should be in the .75 range given what others have seen and done. I will run it some more and check compression again. I'd like to see it settle around 140 lbs. Cranking compression is just a number. I should probably pull a head and CC it to make absolutely sure

.085 is stock, at .075 you might want want to think about higher octane. Get an EGT gauge on the sled, it will save you a lot of grief :bc: 

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

.085 is stock, at .075 you might want want to think about higher octane. Get an EGT gauge on the sled, it will save you a lot of grief :bc: 

.65 is the limit for pump fuel according to the experts......  .75 would be plenty safe.  Its just an all stock sled Vince ....I will get the octane number down. If I need to run 91 so be it. As far as EGT I will check plugs and piston wash and jet it accordingly and run it. 

Sled is just a basically stock 1004 with a gutted airbox .....it should run good and I will be happy with it.

Gas leak seems to have stopped. XCR1250 gave me a call with some pointers. He was right on where it was leaking. I turned the fuel line back a forth a few times and found a spot it quit leaking. I will need to address it at some point

31 minutes ago, f7ben said:

.65 is the limit for pump fuel according to the experts......  .75 would be plenty safe.  Its just an all stock sled Vince ....I will get the octane number down. If I need to run 91 so be it. As far as EGT I will check plugs and piston wash and jet it accordingly and run it. 

Sled is just a basically stock 1004 with a gutted airbox .....it should run good and I will be happy with it.

The heads are cut it ain't stock, if it was me I'd put dial a jets and an egt on it :bc: 

47 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The heads are cut it ain't stock, if it was me I'd put dial a jets and an egt on it :bc: 

The heads only had the squish angle changed because the dome angle on the wiseco's is different....they had material removed from the squish band 

Edited by f7ben

7 hours ago, f7ben said:

Gas leak seems to have stopped. XCR1250 gave me a call with some pointers. He was right on where it was leaking. I turned the fuel line back a forth a few times and found a spot it quit leaking. I will need to address it at some point

Glad that worked Ben, pick up the parts and fix it when you find the time.

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, f7ben said:

I've gone as low as .055" on my Mach Z trail sleds, stock head just decked, with good premium pump gas but usually like to be .060-.065". Like you said, cranking compression is just a number and doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to picking fuel. Actual comp ratio does. I have two different gauges and they are 15 PSI off from each other.

2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

I've gone as low as .055" on my Mach Z trail sleds, stock head just decked, with good premium pump gas but usually like to be .060-.065". Like you said, cranking compression is just a number and doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to picking fuel. Actual comp ratio does. I have two different gauges and they are 15 PSI off from each other.

I have checked this gauge on multiple sleds though so I know this sled is high. Stock 800 that was in it read 128 and my axys reads about 125 on it. I will need to run it more and then check it. Normally the cranking numbers would go up as the rings seat but we'll see. I had a bunch of assembly oil and stuff in it etc etc and maybe it just needs to run for a bit and I'll see the numbers I was expecting 

Ok , ran to town because I was out of solder. Just checked the squish. I would say the average of the several measurements I took per hole puts me right at about .069-.070"

This is a little tighter than I was hoping for and is firmly into the 91 octane territory. Either the heads I got had been cut 10 thou or the base gaskets I re-used were not cat and were a little thinner which is totally possible.

I should have measured the step on the heads but I was told they were stock. I think I will run it this way for the rest of this year.

Also I have heat cycled it a few more times and the compression has settled right at about 159 per hole and they are all three dead nuts on ...its a little firm to pull over but not bad.

Edited by f7ben

6 hours ago, f7ben said:

Ok , ran to town because I was out of solder. Just checked the squish. I would say the average of the several measurements I took per hole puts me right at about .069-.070"

This is a little tighter than I was hoping for and is firmly into the 91 octane territory. Either the heads I got had been cut 10 thou or the base gaskets I re-used were not cat and were a little thinner which is totally possible.

I should have measured the step on the heads but I was told they were stock. I think I will run it this way for the rest of this year.

Also I have heat cycled it a few more times and the compression has settled right at about 159 per hole and they are all three dead nuts on ...its a little firm to pull over but not bad.

Cant you just add head gaskets on that style head?

10 hours ago, s pump said:

Cant you just add head gaskets on that style head?

No....it's o-rings. I could put a thicker base gasket in and raise it 5-10 thou. I'll see how it runs though. 

• 2 months later...

Scored a set of Vfroce2 reeds for the ZRT tonight and am considering having the cylinders and cases ported this summer. Really had a blast on this sled this year and cant wait to play with it this summer and get some more miles next year. Triples of this vintage are just a hoot. Decent enough to ride if the trails are smooth and the power is really fun 

58 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Scored a set of Vfroce2 reeds for the ZRT tonight and am considering having the cylinders and cases ported this summer. Really had a blast on this sled this year and cant wait to play with it this summer and get some more miles next year. Triples of this vintage are just a hoot. Decent enough to ride if the trails are smooth and the power is really fun 

So the CFR is old news already?

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So the CFR is old news already?

No way dude.....CFR is tucked away right next to the ZRT. I really like the CFR and will keep that too. I'll be picking up a turbo sled this summer too 

52 minutes ago, f7ben said:

No way dude.....CFR is tucked away right next to the ZRT. I really like the CFR and will keep that too. I'll be picking up a turbo sled this summer too 

I saw you were selling those parts and thought maybe she was on the way out. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I saw you were selling those parts and thought maybe she was on the way out. 

Nope.....just have a different deal brewing. I traded the twins and the bored throttle bodies for a y-pipe and single pipe and $300. At a minimum I will run those with the PCV I have. 

Edited by f7ben

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Nope.....just have a different deal brewing. I traded the twins and the bored throttle bodies for a y-pipe and single pipe and $300. At a minimum I will run those with the PCV I have. 

:thumbsup: