Doo 850

Is a pretty sweet sled. Got me 300 or so miles on it and haven't grenade a belt yet so that's good.

The fashion accessory skid plate was unable to withstand a 1mph touchdown and shattered into about 10 pieces. Just hope the rest of the sled is built to 100mph standards. Dealer told me that well it was cold and you cant expect it actually work if it does touch something. At least the dealer knows it's shit. still told me to pound sand and buy a new one. Fuckin BRP.

I was quite disappointed with the fashion accessory skid plate. Hell I've seen destroyed sleds where literally the only thing left was the skid plate.

Well on the BRP site they call it high impact plastic so I need to get me the barely/no impact skid plate that should hold up to strong wind and blowing snow. Well in warm weather only because when it's cold all bets are off.

Only reason I have this skid plate is the bulkhead is cast on the G4 and don't need any issues with that getting damaged.

IMG_1512.JPG

it seems to be a weaker grade plastic that gets brittle in the cold. When cold it breaks into little pieces by hand. Warm it up and not so easy.

X package.

Came off a 30,000mile 98 xc 800 edge parts conglomerate. It was /is still a capable unit with all the improvements I've done over the years but it had it's run.

The old girl was my work out sled. It required a high level of physical endurance to show its tail light to the group and it did it regularly and was fun to do as well. I would get guys looking at it and kinda shake their head at it. But when I kicked their asses on it they would still have the same look but now became believers.Ha   Now my knees and shoulders are getting all fucked up and just cant take the riding position anymore. G4 after a 100mile ride is nothing. It's like you don't even use your shoulders on the new sleds.

6 minutes ago, Roosting said:

it seems to be a weaker grade plastic that gets brittle in the cold. When cold it breaks into little pieces by hand. Warm it up and not so easy.

X package.

Came off a 30,000mile 98 xc 800 edge parts conglomerate. It was /is still a capable unit with all the improvements I've done over the years but it had it's run.

The old girl was my work out sled. It required a high level of physical endurance to show its tail light to the group and it did it regularly and was fun to do as well. I would get guys looking at it and kinda shake their head at it. But when I kicked their asses on it they would still have the same look but now became believers.Ha   Now my knees and shoulders are getting all fucked up and just cant take the riding position anymore. G4 after a 100mile ride is nothing. It's like you don't even use your shoulders on the new sleds.

:lol: yes that is quite a step up. I liked the G4 chassis that I rode for a few miles. Ergos are decent and it handled well. The 850 is such a nice engine though. If it lasts 20k miles or even 15k miles routinely skidoo will have changed the game with it.

I was crossing a walking trail and going through the ditch that had quad ruts. I don't have great visibility going up on to the trail so I take it real easy as I don't want to piss anyone off. Anyway I had gone through here a bunch already with no issue but this time it just touched the high center just barely moving and made a plastic crunch sound and didn't think anything of it. Until I looked later and was a bit disappointed for sure.

5 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Only reason I got the Doo was the 850. Hope it lasts like you say. I'm counting on it for sure. If not I have warranty till 2020 and will dump it for a monkey bar special (Polaris)

I am on my first polaris and bought it for the chassis alone. I love the chassis and the 800HO engine is a good one but Polaris certainly surrounded it with a bunch of Arctic Cat quality garbage. At 2400 miles every bearing and bushing in the whole sled is junk. There are no grease zercs anywhere on the sled and annoying squeaks have started to develop. 

I think the 850 is going to prove to be as good as most are hoping ....the one I rode was still in break in mode and it was very impressive 

I think Doo still has the shit plastic bushings in the front. I think I found 2 zerks on the rear. I looked at the 18 XCR 800 and just couldn't pull the trigger on the rear suspension. It's too fugly even if it rides good. Plus I didn't need to replace pistons every 2000miles on the Polaris. But if the 850 is a turd XCR it is.

Well not turbo fast but it does seem to pull hard from 20-90mph and then softens up a bit. Everytime I look down at the speedo it's clicking 106, 107, 108 and then I start to think about the belt. I've just started to feel comfortable enough to launch it over some road crossings and boiee she flies pretty good.

Need to get used to sitting so much higher it's getting me unsettled on road approaches when your hitting them a 80.

Himark

There are no marks on the skid plate. No gouge or hack that caught on something. It just got pushed up by a grass covered lump of dirt and garbage plastic not meant for cold weather.  It's a perfect form fitting piece but is just a fashion accessory as it in no way will protect anything from any form of impact like advertised.

7 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

850 is a dumb size. Why not go to at least 900

I would imagine it had to do with tooling and what they had to work with. Also HP wise maybe they didnt want to bring it up into the 190HP range. Who knows

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I am on my first polaris and bought it for the chassis alone. I love the chassis and the 800HO engine is a good one but Polaris certainly surrounded it with a bunch of Arctic Cat quality garbage. At 2400 miles every bearing and bushing in the whole sled is junk. There are no grease zercs anywhere on the sled and annoying squeaks have started to develop. 

I think the 850 is going to prove to be as good as most are hoping ....the one I rode was still in break in mode and it was very impressive 

I have all kinds of grease zerks on mine, and I have never had a sled that rolled so effortlessly. I dont know what kind of bearings they are using but it is smooth as butter right nows...

20 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

I have all kinds of grease zerks on mine, and I have never had a sled that rolled so effortlessly. I dont know what kind of bearings they are using but it is smooth as butter right nows...

There are no zerks on your front suspension and there are none anywhere on my sled :lol: hopefully they improved the quality of their bearings .....the front end bushings are a stupid fucking design and will be sloppy on every poo using them by 2000 miles. Thankfully there are aftermarkets supposedly 

30 minutes ago, f7ben said:

There are no zerks on your front suspension and there are none anywhere on my sled :lol: hopefully they improved the quality of their bearings .....the front end bushings are a stupid fucking design and will be sloppy on every poo using them by 2000 miles. Thankfully there are aftermarkets supposedly 

Ahhh... Ill keep an eye on those...

11 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Ahhh... Ill keep an eye on those...

Mine were tight at 800 miles and at 2400 they are sloppy as fuck. You can adjust them a little but it wont come close to taking up the amount of slop there now. I think NSP sells some replacement bushings and those would be the way to go. In the end its not a big issue to have to replace bearings and bushings but when they wear out in one seasons worth of miles that is bullshit 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, f7ben said:

I would imagine it had to do with tooling and what they had to work with. Also HP wise maybe they didnt want to bring it up into the 190HP range. Who knows

Sorry but if you look at the gains the 850 made over the 800 they were not going to be in the 190 range with a 900.   Maybe not even a 1000.

My guess keeping it an 850 had as much to do with longevity and efficiency than anything.  The reality is when pistons get this large it becomes more and more difficult to get even combustion and not create hot spots on the top of the pistons.   

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Sorry but if you look at the gains the 850 made over the 800 they were not going to be in the 190 range with a 900.   Maybe not even a 1000.

My guess keeping it an 850 had as much to do with longevity and efficiency than anything.  The reality is when pistons get this large it becomes more and more difficult to get even combustion and not create hot spots on the top of the pistons.   

The 850 makes a solid 10-12hp more than the 800 .....given all else being equal a 900 would have been in the low 180's hp wise. 

Just now, f7ben said:

The 850 makes a solid 10-12hp more than the 800 .....given all else being equal a 900 would have been in the low 180's hp wise. 

I'm not seeing those gains from the dyno numbers.   They also don't run like they are 10-12 HP stronger.

I just read an Instagram note from Zbroz racing that a SE module brace and skid plates are a must on the 850's.  :lol:   

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I'm not seeing those gains from the dyno numbers.   They also don't run like they are 10-12 HP stronger.

I just read an Instagram note from Zbroz racing that a SE module brace and skid plates are a must on the 850's.  :lol:   

Not what I have seen at all ....I have ridden several 800 etecs and none of them has ever felt close to the 850 I rode that was still in break in mode. Most 800 etecs would dyno in the 158-159 range or so from what I recall and the 850 has shown to be a 170hp motor after broken in. It 5cc per hp for both motors and that makes sense....pretty conservative porting and tune in all reality

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Not what I have seen at all ....I have ridden several 800 etecs and none of them has ever felt close to the 850 I rode that was still in break in mode. Most 800 etecs would dyno in the 158-159 range or so from what I recall and the 850 has shown to be a 170hp motor after broken in. It 5cc per hp for both motors and that makes sense....pretty conservative porting and tune in all reality

Dynotech has done a bunch of them.   Stock 16 800 was as high as 164.   Highest I've seen an 850 stock was 170 on there.  Not the same day so some variable there.   I think the process of engine/pipe temp as similar.

I'm not downplaying the 850.   It think its a awesome motor but in the research I've done its not heads and tails stronger than the doo or poo 800.   

Logged a few miles on a 800 144 Assault and I loved it.   Right now if I was buying a NA sled that would be it.   Ergo's and chassis feel simply has the most fun factor for me.   Not quite as stable feeling as the doo and cat but I've never been on a sled that simply makes you feel like you are a part of it like the poo.