2 more boards in the big chute

yarddawg

11 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Do they cover flood?

In most cases no. If you live near a river or on a flood plain they won't insure you, or the cost of insurance will be more than most want to pay. Insurance companies don't want risk. So I doubt they are taking a hit with all this flooding.

19 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

In most cases no. If you live near a river or on a flood plain they won't insure you, or the cost of insurance will be more than most want to pay. Insurance companies don't want risk. So I doubt they are taking a hit with all this flooding.

Didn't think so.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, 2strokemerc said:

They talked insurance and flooding on the CTV News the other night. Flood insurance is available to most home owners but it is not included in most policies. Overland flood insurance is an add on and often there is $ limits to the coverage. Most insurance companies don't bring it up unless you do.

They interviewed a home owner who lived in the flood plain near New Hamburg and he had added several sump wells and pumps to his basement along with back up power to insure water would be removed. He said it allowed him to get flood insurance at a reasonable price.

49 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They talked insurance and flooding on the CTV News the other night. Flood insurance is available to most home owners but it is not included in most policies. Overland flood insurance is an add on and often there is $ limits to the coverage. Most insurance companies don't bring it up unless you do.

They interviewed a home owner who lived in the flood plain near New Hamburg and he had added several sump wells and pumps to his basement along with back up power to insure water would be removed. He said it allowed him to get flood insurance at a reasonable price.

Impossible.  I read on FS that you cannot get flood insurance.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

So after doing all that work and pretty much reducing the risk to zero the insurance company is willing to insure against any damage he might have do to flooding.:thumbsup:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, 2strokemerc said:

So after doing all that work and pretty much reducing the risk to zero the insurance company is willing to insure against any damage he might have do to flooding.:thumbsup:

Some what. He had been flooded out several times over the years. He said he did this work to lessen his premiums and hassle so I take it he was paying a large $ to the insurance company due to his past history.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the long range forecast, it would appear that the spring rains and melt down may start next week? If I was the goof, I would be sending a couple of lads out to crank in a few boards in the chute, unless my ex still lives a little bit down stream?:stoned:

5 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Will be interesting to see how the water levels go.  Sitting way low right now for this time of year compared to others

1. Kinda nice to see there won,t be another fuck-up by the dumb decision makers that messed up so bad last year.
  • Like 1

I wonder what they should have done for the people on the east side of Simcoe... it's part of the Trent. Boat houses, docks and boats destroyed by ice particularly around Brechin.

Capture1.JPG.1263f9a7ae1576b6ad4fb388e6892c73.JPG

Nature and weather are really unpredictable on long range.

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, 02sled said:

I wonder what they should have done for the people on the east side of Simcoe... it's part of the Trent. Boat houses, docks and boats destroyed by ice particularly around Brechin.

Capture1.JPG.1263f9a7ae1576b6ad4fb388e6892c73.JPG

Nature and weather are really unpredictable on long range.

I predict the snow/ice will start to melt when temperatures go above zero. I predict we will get more rain in April than we will in February or August. I predict it will not snow in July in Ontario,,,,,,,,,anything else you want to know???

• Haha 1

These ice pile ups are nothing new, happens every year somewhere on the lake.  Every year it's on the news like some new phenomenon, with someone saying they have never seen this or have not seen it in decades.  I have many pictures like that from around the Oro area over the last 20 years.  Part of being on a big lake, the ice has to go somewhere.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rjd75 said:

These ice pile ups are nothing new, happens every year somewhere on the lake.  Every year it's on the news like some new phenomenon, with someone saying they have never seen this or have not seen it in decades.  I have many pictures like that from around the Oro area over the last 20 years.  Part of being on a big lake, the ice has to go somewhere.

Like being on the Trent system.... water levels are part of being there. I recall a number of years ago when they lowered the water levels in the fall like they usually do each year but lowered it a bit more than usual based on forecasts of heavy rains for the coming weeks they got lots of complaints from cottagers. It's a no win situation, where you look at the data you have and do the best you can given that data at that point in time. Either it's too high or too low depending on who you listen to.

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

Like being on the Trent system.... water levels are part of being there. I recall a number of years ago when they lowered the water levels in the fall like they usually do each year but lowered it a bit more than usual based on forecasts of heavy rains for the coming weeks they got lots of complaints from cottagers. It's a no win situation, where you look at the data you have and do the best you can given that data at that point in time. Either it's too high or too low depending on who you listen to.

The upper lakes are full to the brim annually1st week in February according to Think, I don'tThink anybody is looking at anything??????