2 more boards in the big chute

yarddawg

On 2018-01-25 at 10:43 AM, Frostynuts said:

Sure hope these aren,t the same fukking dummies that control the water level in the Ottawa River and St. Lawrance River area.

What a fuck-up last spring was, with all the flooding.

The water level in the lakes and rivers don,t magically go up or down 3 fukking feet overnight.

Is someone not being highly paid to monitoring the rise and fall of the water levels ?

If the water is rising at one end, shouldn,t the gates be open at the other end, to help keep the water level near some sort of constant ?

Even thou the people that should be closely monitoring the water levels are being paid "rocket scientist wages ", it really aint rocket science.

Hopefully this spring isn,t another disaster. Amazingly, no one had the balls to own up to the fukk-up.  

Are you serious?

You think it’s an easy thing to figure out?  Mother Nature 

For one, if your getting flooded out you know your house or business is in a low lying area and could be flooded.  Move or risk it.

2nd, they have piles of historical data and information, weather reports etc.  They do there best but shit happens.

And 3.  Don’t buy a house or business in a low area or area prone to flooding!  If the water goes up 2 feet and your flooded maybe you shouldn’t buy there.

Or we can live in a nanny state that controls everything and tells you we’re to live and when you can be there.

I am serious. With the area that covers the great lakes and St. Lawrance River, and the amount of water required to raise the level even 1 inch. it doesn,t happen overnight. In this day and age,  with the technology available, IF people hired to monitor and control the water level were competently doing there job, it should be able to be controlled. Last spring and summer, people got flooded that had never been flooded in 30 or more years.

As usual, someone fukked up bad, but of course, they don,t have the balls to admit it, and blame it on nature.

It will be interesting to see how mother nature outsmarts these dumb fukks again this spring. So many well paid experts, until they actually have to think, and re-act. 

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

I am serious. With the area that covers the great lakes and St. Lawrance River, and the amount of water required to raise the level even 1 inch. it doesn,t happen overnight. In this day and age,  with the technology available, IF people hired to monitor and control the water level were competently doing there job, it should be able to be controlled. Last spring and summer, people got flooded that had never been flooded in 30 or more years.

As usual, someone fukked up bad, but of course, they don,t have the balls to admit it, and blame it on nature.

It will be interesting to see how mother nature outsmarts these dumb fukks again this spring. So many well paid experts, until they actually have to think, and re-act. 

are you forgetting last year had record rainfall in record short periods of time

Both May and July broke records for monthly rainfall, and June was Ottawa's wettest in almost two decades.

Capture1.JPG.aa9264109d61778d00c9fae8006e4496.JPG

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-shatters-annual-rainfall-record-1.4378281

And Toronto

Toronto rainfall breaks record set in 1953

The total rainfall from April 1 until May 25 this year has been almost double what is normally seen, said Dave Phillips, climatologist for Environment Canada.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/05/25/toronto-rainfall-breaks-record-set-in-1953.html

Lake Ontario rose so high much of Toronto Islands were closed for the summer.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.c4a46d975e7f17c6d55eaceebb30d928.JPG

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/07/10/some-areas-of-the-toronto-islands-will-be-closed-all-summer-officials-say.html

I guess there should be an awful lot of people fired everywhere. All that flooding and high water should have been controlled.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sksman said:

Are you serious?

For one, if your getting flooded out you know your house or business is in a low lying area and could be flooded.  Move or risk it.

2nd, they have piles of historical data and information, weather reports etc.  They do there best but shit happens.

And 3.  Don’t buy a house or business in a low area or area prone to flooding!  If the water goes up 2 feet and your flooded maybe you shouldn’t buy there.

Or we can live in a nanny state that controls everything and tells you we’re to live and when you can be there.

Milton??? Are you a new Canadian???    

Do you think the upper lakes should be filled to their max now, or maybe wait for the spring run off???  I have used heavy drugs for 40 years, alcohol abuse since I was 16 and only have my grade 8. I do know that snow and ice melt and April is always wet.

regards,

Mother Nature

• Like 1

So, when it starts raining, can they not open up the gates, and let it flow to the ocean ?

I,m near a couple of dam sites, they had all the gates closed, except one. Open the freaking gates, and let it flow, before the water rises 3 fukking feet. 

Even with all gates wide open water can only move so fast through those gates or over those dams.

Look at the exceptionally high water levels in Lake Ontario. Drill a hole in the bottom of a barrel. As long as that hole is smaller than the bottom of the barrel there is only so much water that can flow out of that barrel per second. Any dam will create a backup of water. That's just what they do and sometimes there is just so much water added upstream no matter what you do it can't flow out fast enough.

And if they happen to let out too much water... you will be complaining about that as well. A few years ago the Trent Severn was lowered for the winter. Some lakes went too low and boats were now resting on the bottom and trailers unable to back in far enough to retrieve them.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Can they not monitor the rise and flow rate of the water in each great lake and St. Lawrance River ?

If they know the rate of water coming in, can they not open the gates sooner to keep it at a somewhat consistant level ?

I,m sure every owner along a waterway that gets flooded like last spring wouldn,t really care if their boat was grounded, versus having their house flooded. Again, it,s kinda tuff to understand how this water level is suppose to be controlled, and why they aren,t doing a better job with the controls available, IF THOSE RESPONSIBLE ARE PAYING ATTENTION, and react sooner.

The water levels last spring and summer were high here for about 5 fukking months. NOT ACCEPTABLE !  

Even with all gates wide open water can only move so fast through those gates or over those dams.

Look at the exceptionally high water levels in Lake Ontario. Drill a hole in the bottom of a barrel. As long as that hole is smaller than the bottom of the barrel there is only so much water that can flow out of that barrel per second. Any dam will create a backup of water. That's just what they do and sometimes there is just so much water added upstream no matter what you do it can't flow out fast enough.

And if they happen to let out too much water... you will be complaining about that as well. A few years ago the Trent Severn was lowered for the winter. Some lakes went too low and boats were now resting on the bottom and trailers unable to back in far enough to retrieve them.

56 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Can they not monitor the rise and flow rate of the water in each great lake and St. Lawrance River ?

If they know the rate of water coming in, can they not open the gates sooner to keep it at a somewhat consistant level ?

I,m sure every owner along a waterway that gets flooded like last spring wouldn,t really care if their boat was grounded, versus having their house flooded. Again, it,s kinda tuff to understand how this water level is suppose to be controlled, and why they aren,t doing a better job with the controls available, IF THOSE RESPONSIBLE ARE PAYING ATTENTION, and react sooner.

The water levels last spring and summer were high here for about 5 fukking months. NOT ACCEPTABLE !  

They were high everywhere... did you miss the part where Lake Ontario was high enough to close parts of Toronto Islands for the full summer.

Yeah... the amount of water coming and going is so predictable. Everyone knew that in a matter of a couple of days that all that lake effect snow we got in late December early January would suddenly disappear.

I have seen the water levels in Port Severn rise 6 inches over the course of a very wet weekend. At times you just can't win. I have seen them open up the dam at Port Severn based on heavy rain fall forecasts and drop the water level by 4 or 5 inches in anticipation. Then surprise... no rain.

You do realise that it's standard practice for most of the Trent Severn for them to lower the water levels in late fall in anticipation of the spring run off. Which by the way is usually gradual and doesn't usually happen over 2 or 3 days accompanied by heavy rains.

You don't like the water levels where you are you can always sell and move elsewhere. How about Georgian Bay. You might like it there. Until the last couple of years their water levels have been dropping. People have had to keep extending docks further and further to get deep enough to float their boats. It's only been returning the last couple of years.

React sooner.... :lol:Yup all those millions upon millions of gallons of water can flow away oh so quickly, to where...

Edited by 02sled

3 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

So, when it starts raining, can they not open up the gates, and let it flow to the ocean ?

I,m near a couple of dam sites, they had all the gates closed, except one. Open the freaking gates, and let it flow, before the water rises 3 fukking feet. 

Thank god it only rains around where you are.  And never anywhere else   

What should we do open all the dams and flood everyone down Stream?

How much does 1” of rain raise the St. Lawrence?  I remember hearing something about a quarter inch of rain raising it 3”.   I could be wrong there but a small amount of rain raised it significantly.   And when you factor in all the other areas receiving huge rain falls and dumping water floods happen.  It can only flow out St. Lawrence so fast  

No one said water level control is perfect science and there are way more factors to be considered then just your precious boat house getting flooded or your basement flooded. 

How about fish spawning?

they need certain levels of water and current   

As for me living in Milton I think my house is pretty good.   My wife and I enjoy it.   I know Milton is not for everyone.

The Great Lakes have a unique water control problem.Dam in the Soo,Dam at Cornwall that's it other than  some smaller diversions.So you let all the water out of Lake Ontario what happens down stream? God forbid we would want  to flood Montreal. Water management is like the weather,mostly done on computer models and historical data.

The water levels on Georgian Bay  ( Huron- Michigan)are certainly on rise. Expect near record levels this summer. The poor people well have raise there boathouses and crip docks,so sad.

The good news for Ydawg is that they are building a new LCBO in Minden,well above the flood plain. Apparently it is bad for the local business when it is closed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Thank god it only rains around where you are.  And never anywhere else   

What should we do open all the dams and flood everyone down Stream?

How much does 1” of rain raise the St. Lawrence?  I remember hearing something about a quarter inch of rain raising it 3”.   I could be wrong there but a small amount of rain raised it significantly.   And when you factor in all the other areas receiving huge rain falls and dumping water floods happen.  It can only flow out St. Lawrence so fast  

No one said water level control is perfect science and there are way more factors to be considered then just your precious boat house getting flooded or your basement flooded. 

How about fish spawning?

they need certain levels of water and current   

As for me living in Milton I think my house is pretty good.   My wife and I enjoy it.   I know Milton is not for everyone.

Many developments have been approved in areas that stuff should have never been built.I'm guess most urban planners and regulatory agents would have to google hurricane Hazel.

Edited by gtserider
mistake

How many bazillion gallons of water would it take to raise the level of water in Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrance 3 feet ?

That doesn,t happen overnight, or a few days.

Very poor control, is the only logical answer I can come up with. Open up the gates sooner. Don,t these guys monitor this stuff 24/7 ? 

5 inch up or down change in level is one thing, 3 feet high for 3-4 months is a major fukk up on some ones part, and cann,t be blamed on mother nature.

Until the fish start paying taxes,  I think they will adapt very well to whatever conditions they are given.

35 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

How many bazillion gallons of water would it take to raise the level of water in Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrance 3 feet ?

That doesn,t happen overnight, or a few days.

Very poor control, is the only logical answer I can come up with. Open up the gates sooner. Don,t these guys monitor this stuff 24/7 ? 

5 inch up or down change in level is one thing, 3 feet high for 3-4 months is a major fukk up on some ones part, and cann,t be blamed on mother nature.

Until the fish start paying taxes,  I think they will adapt very well to whatever conditions they are given.

http://ijc.org/en_/islrbc/Regulating_Lake_Ontario-St._Lawrence_River

Hmmmm maybe The big critics should address their concerns with the International Joint Commision and the International Lake Ontario -St. Lawerence River Board.

seems like maybe they understand and there is a bigger picture.

Frostynuts - Fish win!!

23 minutes ago, Sksman said:

http://ijc.org/en_/islrbc/Regulating_Lake_Ontario-St._Lawrence_River

Hmmmm maybe The big critics should address their concerns with the International Joint Commision and the International Lake Ontario -St. Lawerence River Board.

seems like maybe they understand and there is a bigger picture.

Frostynuts - Fish win!!

No kbec wins again

2 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. Unfortunate for a lot of folks that have lived along the St. Lawrence River for the last 30 years without issues, and now it looks like it might become a normal annual occurance. 

Claim some restitution or move up hill?

The Ottawa River floods were a little weird.Who controls that system? There is no major control system or resistor to contain water so it has to go some where.What does Quebec send in to the river? I can imagine it's an Iraq Israel situation in reverse or California for that matter.   Interesting topic considering this is FS and usually spend my time elsewhere.

Thanks Ydawg.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎28 at 1:11 AM, Sksman said:

Are you serious?

The inlaws house has had to be sand bagged on and off for the last 10 years.  Before that, not once.  Lock masters use to be able to control water levels themselves but aren't anymore.  They get their instructions as to when to let water out and when not to.  My grandpa, great grandpa and a family friend had a combined 90 or so years working on the trent between maintenance and running a lock.  My grandpa could go open or close the gates depending on how the run off was going.  Our family friend told me that the one who determines when to open or close the gates was making his decisions a few years ago based on looking out his window and never once got out to see what the snowpack was in areas of the trent.  When The inlaws built their place in the 70's, they put it 1 foot above the historical high water for that area.  Roughly 10 years ago the water came up about 10-12 feet from summer levels and flooded their downstairs.   The same goes for A resort on sparrow lake.  A family friends family started the resort and talking to her dad, they never had any flooding until the last 10 years or so.  

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Stoney said:

Good for the insurance biz, and all the trades associated with it.

When you think about it, it is a make work project, keeps the employment cycle going....

It’s far from good for insurance biz.  They are taking a beating on floods.

37 minutes ago, Sksman said:

It’s far from good for insurance biz.  They are taking a beating on floods.

I guess the premium increases that some are seeing have nothing to do with that, does it....:guzzle:

Sorry, I find it hard to believe they are taking a beating, Ins companies are doing just fine....might be paying out more now a days than they typically have, but there have been many years where they were not & I did not see any credits being issued or premiums going down much or at all, just less coverage being included in the basic coverage typically.

Besides, if I had a place that was in a flood zone, I would expect that I either could not afford the flood coverage or it was not an even an option.

But I was being sarcastic about the whole thing, however these things do generally provide more business for the various contractors that do this work.