2 more boards in the big chute

yarddawg

I don't recall seeing boards in place at Big Chute. What I do recall is that most of the water flows through the generating station and comes out below. The spill way on the opposite side of the railway from the generating station was I thought mechanical gates instead of dropping and lowering timbers but I could be wrong. Most of the time that spill way is dry. There's a huge amount of water that goes through the generating station.

Similar to that would be the dam at Swift Rapids I believe but on a much larger scale.

14 hours ago, yarddawg said:

Are you the goof who makes the call? or were you wearing your helmet again.....stfu

Are you the idiot that has no idea almost all the water going through Big Chute goes through the generating station and rarely through the spill way even in the summer. Go f yourself until you have something to go on other than your imagination.  

30 minutes ago, yarddawg said:

Those broads make you park your sled on your dock, otherwise the track could be frozen to lake in the morning:bashhead:

Hey moron. Have you ever even been to Big Chute? Okay genius... if you know so much about water flow over the Chute how is it regulated if not primarily controlling the flow through the generating station? Your answer should be good for a laugh. You know that big building on the left.

Capture1.JPG.4dfe51f616bec14a92cca78d88ca3dcc.JPG

It sure isn't the spill way that is dry almost all of the time even in a wet rainy summer, just like it is in this picture. It only comes into play when there is a more water above the Chute than the generating station can't handle.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.6821a74a428b57fe8a4eb5cc4177bd3d.JPG

I'd be more concerned about the generating station / dam and the flow upstream from there at the Swift Rapids lock.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.f810a69a352698df5a7d064aac127256.JPG

Come back when you have a clue Yarddawg

Edited by 02sled

13 minutes ago, yarddawg said:

Cliffy, that's the really really big chute! Obviously you are not the goof in charge of the boards or you would have known what I was referring to. Have you retired from the postal service yet?

Yeah... keep babbling nonsense as usual

25 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

So there"s a really small Big Chute?

The original smaller rail line is there for show only but has nothing to do with water control. Mechanical sleuce gates run by hydro at the west side plant and bypass control to the east. 

In the bush further east are the concrete entrance and lock walls to replace the railway that were never completed.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
19 minutes ago, Thinksno said:

The original smaller rail line is there for show only but has nothing to do with water control. Mechanical sleuce gates run by hydro at the west side plant and bypass control to the east. 

In the bush further east are the concrete entrance and lock walls to replace the railway that were never completed.   

I'm not a boater but I had to see why the lock was never completed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Chute_Marine_Railway

In 1914 contracts were let to have 3 locks built to connect the Severn River to Georgian Bay at Port Severn, Big Chute, and Swift Rapids. With the start of World War I, however, there was a shortage of manpower and resources. Lock 45 at Port Severn was nearing completion, so it was finished as a small, "temporary" lock. (It remains in use to this day.) The locks at Big Chute and Swift Rapids were not completed, with "temporary" marine railways being built instead. The original Big Chute Marine Railway was completed in 1917, and could only carry boats up to 35 feet (11 m) long, preventing navigation by large commercial vessels. The Swift Rapids Marine Railway was completed in 1919, using the same plans as the Big Chute railway.

In 1921 plans were once again made to build three locks at Big Chute, to be part of a new section of canal which would take boats from Big Chute and rejoin the existing waterway downstream from the Little Chute, avoiding the fast water in the Little Chute. However because of the post-war recession the scheme was put on hold once more, although remains of the beginning of the dams required to maintain the water levels can still be found in the surrounding forest. In 1923 the original railway at Big Chute was replaced, as the size and number of boats had increased, with the second carriage being able to carry boats up to 60 feet (18 m) long. The 1923 carriage was used up until around 2003, on days of extremely heavy traffic, or as a backup for the new carriage. Although the old carriage is no longer used, it remains on display.

In the 1960s surveys of the area were done yet again. The old, outdated Swift Rapids Marine Railway was replaced with a single conventional lock in 1964, and plans were made for a single lock at Big Chute.

Before construction began the sea lamprey, which had been devastating the fishing industry in the Great Lakes, was found in Gloucester Pool—at the bottom of the railway—and plans were put on hold. Several impractical ideas were suggested, but no practical solution could be found. By the end of the 1960s the old marine railway could not keep up with the amount of boating traffic in the area. Long lines formed at either end of the railway, with waits often being overnight. Research was done to find a way to prevent the migration of the sea lamprey into Lake Couchiching and Lake Simcoe, while still effectively increasing the flow of traffic. A biologist sat at the bottom of the railway for days, checking the bottom of boats that locked through, and finally saw a lamprey attached to the bottom of a boat. The lamprey fell off after less than 6 meters, so the railway was determined to be effective at preventing the sea lamprey's migration. In 1976 it was finally decided that a new, enlarged railway would be built. The current carriage was opened to the public in 1978, and can carry a boat up to 100 feet (30 m) long and 24 feet (7.3 m) beam.

Edited by Blackstar

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, yarddawg said:

nuts...............Would you fill the lakes to their max north of Minden at Xmas, or wait for the melt down in April????

Maybe Stevie or Think could answer this question?

Claven......stfu