Polaris New release

bladefever

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

That is a great thing to be able to say, but I am afraid now a days if parents do not foot the bill for all or partially help out, the chances of the kids actually engaging in the sport will be less than what it is.

I am guessing that was not your first sled and you grew up riding given where you live....so it was just a matter of time before you wanted your own sled, one that you picked out vs. a hand me down or what someone else was willing to buy or help you out with. 

I have to agree and parents gladly foot the bill to spend more quality time with their kids.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Yeah All of my sleds over the years were stepping stones. I was given an et250 at a younger age, then a 550 fan sport touring. from there i was probably 12 or 13. and I had to work to upgrade. then came the fusion, then Red's old Pro X2 I bought off blake. then I traded the pro x2 in on the Doo at 16. rode the doo for 2 years as a senior in highschool. moved onto performance rec where I now have a demo every season. 

Didn't you have a lemon Poo at one of the PET rides, you must have been 14 or 15 from what I remember.  Gravenhurst?

You only have that demo until all the Assaults in crates are sold.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

He got a job Dale?

I bought that 2014 mxz sport allllll on my own brand new from the dealership when I was 16.

No job yet, Tommy. School, hockey, Girlfriend take up a lot of his time, but aside from his hockey and girlfriend, I am not really pushing one either as I want him to finish school with good grades.

He still has a paper route however, but I know he is getting a tad old for that and would like a real job, but at least this puts a bit of change in his pockets. 

Also, if we rode more and didn't have trailer to go sledding, things in that regard might be different as well? 

48 minutes ago, irv said:

No job yet, Tommy. School, hockey, Girlfriend take up a lot of his time, but aside from his hockey and girlfriend, I am not really pushing one either as I want him to finish school with good grades.

He still has a paper route however, but I know he is getting a tad old for that and would like a real job, but at least this puts a bit of change in his pockets. 

Also, if we rode more and didn't have trailer to go sledding, things in that regard might be different as well? 

Dale the GF will likely be a bigger drain on marks than a job.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My Dad certainly introduced us to the sport, but as we got older, we all had paper routes and odd jobs, and bought our own shit.  But today's kids have such a sense of entitlement that I'd have to agree, they won't get into it without parents' direct involvement.  But the market for parents to spend $7000 on a kid's sled, will no doubt be small. 

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

That is a great thing to be able to say, but I am afraid now a days if parents do not foot the bill for all or partially help out, the chances of the kids actually engaging in the sport will be less than what it is.

I am guessing that was not your first sled and you grew up riding given where you live....so it was just a matter of time before you wanted your own sled, one that you picked out vs. a hand me down or what someone else was willing to buy or help you out with. 

• Like 1

The fact that you are now educated about the Freestyle's racing success and longevity, is noted.  :)

Maybe they should bring it back, since it was ahead of it's time? 

7 hours ago, Poncho said:

Typical Puzzler report.....lol.

31 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

My Dad certainly introduced us to the sport, but as we got older, we all had paper routes and odd jobs, and bought our own shit.  But today's kids have such a sense of entitlement that I'd have to agree, they won't get into it without parents' direct involvement.  But the market for parents to spend $7000 on a kid's sled, will no doubt be small. 

That is how I started dirt biking....dad bought our first mini bike that I had to share with my little sister and little brother, which lead to me buying my next dirt bike and than a couple of YZ250's & scars to go along with them.....

Always wanted to have sled when I was younger, but never actually bought my first one until about 13 years ago.

Just bought my 3 & 5 year old kids their first dirt bike, and hoping to also get them into sledding as well in the near future.

Edited by Stoney
  • Like 1

My Dad bought us an Elan from Campbell's (yeah, I'm old) around 1980.  After that, we bought our own.  I bought a brand new Honda XL80s from Clare's Cycle in 1983, $695.  Paid it with paper route money.  It got sold off to a friend, but we bought it back, for future puzzle generations to enjoy.  Has like 700kms on it and is like new.   My next bike was a CR250R...... slight performance difference.  And a ton of fixer upper sleds!

On 1/6/2018 at 3:01 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

Didn't you have a lemon Poo at one of the PET rides, you must have been 14 or 15 from what I remember.  Gravenhurst?

You only have that demo until all the Assaults in crates are sold.:lol:

I remember that. that was my Fusion. That was also the ride that you pulled up beside myself, blake, glenn, and gord and as soon as you stopped on that yamaha venture i heard the loudest crack from the ice settling the weight.

And when the assaults are sold, I will hop on another 800 axys. I had an assault until march last year then ended up on a rush for my cochrane trip.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, irv said:

My folks had a different attitude. Get a job asap and learn to juggle life. Looking back on it Im glad I had it that way even tho at the time I hated it. It definitely taught me about how life doesnt stop for you cause youre tired from working late the night before. My current schedule is crazy. Work mon-sat. sometimes work nights until the wee hours machining with micron (check out Bear Machine on facebook). if im not working Im either sleeping, sledding, or wasting money beer and women.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I remember that. that was my Fusion. That was also the ride that you pulled up beside myself, blake, glenn, and gord and as soon as you stopped on that yamaha venture i heard the loudest crack from the ice settling the weight.

And when the assaults are sold, I will hop on another 800 axys. I had an assault until march last year then ended up on a rush for my cochrane trip.

My folks had a different attitude. Get a job asap and learn to juggle life. Looking back on it Im glad I had it that way even tho at the time I hated it. It definitely taught me about how life doesnt stop for you cause youre tired from working late the night before. My current schedule is crazy. Work mon-sat. sometimes work nights until the wee hours machining with micron (check out Bear Machine on facebook). if im not working Im either sleeping, sledding, or wasting money beer and women.

The nervous nellies moment, I remember that.:lol:

As Puzzler will say , I grew up riding the old mans Johnson .......

and getting parts in the early 80’s was already getting scarce .

And I wanted to move into a newer sled , now being in the appliance bidness, there was always stuff kicking around . And I was working with my dad already , so I said I think I could get people to trade for   a sled . He said , you fix it , you find the deal , make the deal , you fix the sled , and you got  a deal . I was 14 I think .

So I would cold call people in the buy and sell and super shopper and try to make deals , and I did . Started out with 4500’s , sonic, Escapade and few others , went through a few , fix and flip , until I was able to buy a 90 mach , free and clear . Learned a lot on wrenchin them . Every sled was restored , and would sell easy .

Was a lot of fun . 

• Like 1