Sled wont start??

Renegade X

I guess that Polaris was made in Jamaica too..... since the electric start wouldn't work.  Lol

57 minutes ago, Poncho said:

-28c when we arrived in Griffith, the three Polarii started up no issues.  Two on battery....and mine, old school pull start...I live in Brampton so pull start is the only way:). We went of a little ride today and all systems go for a big ride tomorrow. Conditions good considering it is early season. 

ReneX hope you get that ETEC 800 running. As Johnny said....made in Jamaica.  When are Doo going to put a recoil on those ETEC absolutely retarded....forget the emergency pull cord on clutch bs. Just put a recoil on the motor and suck it up.

1 hour ago, DAVE said:

In Ignace...

Screenshot_20180105-175341.png

SaskTel works in Northern ON....or pigging back on Bell?

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

-28c when we arrived in Griffith, the three Polarii started up no issues.  Two on battery....and mine, old school pull start...I live in Brampton so pull start is the only way:). We went of a little ride today and all systems go for a big ride tomorrow. Conditions good considering it is early season. 

ReneX hope you get that ETEC 800 running. As Johnny said....made in Jamaica.  When are Doo going to put a recoil on those ETEC absolutely retarded....forget the emergency pull cord on clutch bs. Just put a recoil on the motor and suck it up.

That is a bit of a haul from Brampton....you drive up there much?

24 minutes ago, Garrettv said:

I was told the recoils on the 800etecs don’t last long they get rattled to pcs apparently and won’t work when you need them any way ! My 1200 has never not started after sitting in cold crank slow but always fired my bros etec cranked but started and stalled was told it was shitty fuel freezing in injectors ? 

Did he restart it after it stalled and Did it stay running after the restart?

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

SaskTel works in Northern ON....or pigging back on Bell?

That is a bit of a haul from Brampton....you drive up there much?

Every weekend when I was young. Not so anymore. I usually plan a 5 hour drive

18 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I guess that Polaris was made in Jamaica too..... since the electric start wouldn't work.  Lol

Don't have electric on mine.  Try to keep up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

When are Doo going to put a recoil on those ETEC absolutely retarded....forget the emergency pull cord on clutch bs. Just put a recoil on the motor and suck it up.

Yeah..... The last thing I would want to do on a cold night..... Is to start pulling off body panels to wrap a rope around the clutch.

We had an old 3hp Johnson 1955 ish. Had to wrap a rope and pull..... That says a lot about the advancement that BRP has made......

Edited by bladefever
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

Needs a new panel unless you want to remove the existing to get to it.  Sad design.

• Haha 1

You don't have to pull off body panels.  Lol  In any case, it's available for the dinosaurs from BRP, if you want it. 

How do you start a Polaris if the rope breaks?  I assumed they must have something similar.  I can remember on old shit, removing the recoil assembly and wrapping a knotted rope around the pulley inside... the good ol' days. 

27 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Yeah..... The last thing I would want to do on a cold night..... Is to start pulling off body panels to wrap a rope around the clutch.

We had an old 3hp Johnson 1955 ish. Had to wrap a rope and pull..... That says a lot about the advancement that BRP has made......

Edited by Puzzleboy

Incorrect.  You can either open the panel, or remove the cutout in the panel.  Rocket science, I know.  :)

Yeah, cars used to have cranks, too. 

23 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Needs a new panel unless you want to remove the existing to get to it.  Sad design.

Edited by Puzzleboy

8 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Incorrect.  You can either open the panel, or remove the cutout in the panel.  Rocket science, I know.  :)

Yeah, cars used to have cranks, too. 

Just went with the build description.:bc:

https://www.ski-doo.com/ca/build-and-price/vehicle-configuration.html?configAirProfileName=BRP_SKI&configAirPlatformId=SKI_RENEGADE&modelYear=2018#buildId/4f4d9f5a-e157-4065-abd8-a771dc1952d1/step/3

• Like 1

What?????  You mean Polaris charges extra for a secondary starting system?  Lol

They're almost as bad as BRP!

51 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Every weekend when I was young. Not so anymore. I usually plan a 5 hour drive

Don't have electric on mine.  Try to keep up

Edited by Puzzleboy

K so I finally got the shit box running yesterday.  Battery had 13.4 volts.  Never did check when cranking it tho.  All it would do was turn over slowly.  Tried boosting it off of my pick truck and still wouldn't do anything different then a slow crank.  Maybe the cables, who knows.  Put the sled in my heated garage and put the battery in my house for about a half hour.  Hardly have to hit the start button and fires up now. Called SkiDoo to order a recoil for $214.00. The End.

Who has a 15 or 16 800 etec X for sale?

And just to add, I have a PB clutch on my sled so I can't wrap a rope around it. 

Edited by Renegade X

4 hours ago, Renegade X said:

K so I finally got the shit box running yesterday.  Battery had 13.4 volts.  Never did check when cranking it tho.  All it would do was turn over slowly.  Tried boosting it off of my pick truck and still wouldn't do anything different then a slow crank.  Maybe the cables, who knows.  Put the sled in my heated garage and put the battery in my house for about a half hour.  Hardly have to hit the start button and fires up now. Called SkiDoo to order a recoil for $214.00. The End.

And just to add, I have a PB clutch on my sled so I can't wrap a rope around it. 

My Cat started to do that when I had the starter still installed, at first I assumed it was just a weak battery as that is what it seemed like given what was happening and the factory battery was now a few years old, the next season installed a new battery and same thing, slow crank and sled would not start when used. Applied 12 volts directly to the starter to eliminate everything else, same thing.

So I removed the starter and all the parts associated with it seeing as the starter was bad, what a PITA that was, but I have never had a sled with a starter & even when I had a working starter, I found myself never using it for some reason, so I felt there was no reason to have it and was not interested to spend the money on a new or rebuilt one.

Edited by Stoney

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Renegade X said:

I can probably be talked out of my 800 X.

Its a 15 with bigger windshield, studded 2 per row, 2400 Kms, new carbides in and outside, Enduro front bumper.

1B8465E6-9F33-40F2-A5D7-C08C74A86CF2.thumb.jpeg.308cef4f797ff0c57f7bd838cda93497.jpeg

Yeah, you would have had to checked voltage out in the cold also.  I would fully charge and load test your battery, but it sounds more like your starter (especially if your jumper cables & truck WERE good).  Also ensure all your terminals and grounds are clean (at battery, starter, etc.) What year & mileage is the sled?  Starter may need cleaning/de oxidizing internally- especially on a sled that always starts that way.  In any case, a recoil is a good addition for any 2 stroke Doo.  I would also check your running voltage, just to be sure you're not having other problems.  Healthy stator/regulator should put out high 13s/low 14s (we call it a 12v system, but they aren't).  The rest can be done in the summer. 

Interesting point about the PB80 though..... I wonder what PowerBloc says about negating the emergency starting?  Even a sled with only a recoil, needs emergency starting on occasion. 

9 hours ago, Renegade X said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

8 hours ago, canuckrider said:

and now you want to buy another shit box? 

I like shitboxes... I know you can relate.

Im pretty sure its a starter issue.  It is a 11 with 8400 miles on her puzz.  Time to change it up I guess

Or "....retaining the emergency start feature is not their business".  :)

Might not be their business, but that's what they've effectively done.  Just thought it was interesting, and hadn't thought of it before.  They could certainly make provision for it on the outside of their clutches.  Maybe a new invention..... an adapter that slips over the cup.  Could use the Romper Room clutch tool sorta idea. 

So how do you start a PB equipped 2-stroke with a broken recoil and no e-start?    It does happen.

How were the trails?  Hope you boys weren't trespassing on any Closed trails..... :)

5 hours ago, Poncho said:

PowerBloc sell clutches.  Negating an emergency start is not their business.  You know that.

Edited by Puzzleboy

Yeah, 7 years old with that kinda mileage, I'll bet the armature is blackened. 

They're not hard to service/clean once the starter is out, but save it for the summer.  Even just getting it going again will sometimes get it working for a while. 

2 hours ago, Renegade X said:

I like shitboxes... I know you can relate.

Im pretty sure its a starter issue.  It is a 11 with 8400 miles on her puzz.  Time to change it up I guess