Sled wont start??

Renegade X

1 minute ago, Renegade X said:

I put a bran new battery in her and it still wont start.  I bought the top of the line Yuasa battery. Do you think its just too cold for it or is something wrong with the sled? It just cranks over slowly. 800 etec.

I thought only Yamaha's did that? 

Pretty cold out, Jesse. How old is the gas and how are your plugs/compression? E-Start or pull?

Good luck. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

I thought only Yamaha's did that? 

Pretty cold out, Jesse. How old is the gas and how are your plugs/compression? E-Start or pull?

Good luck. 

E start only.  No idea about the compression but it should be fine. I wonder if the starter is getting tired or something

Just now, Renegade X said:

E start only.  No idea about the compression but it should be fine. I wonder if the starter is getting tired or something

Are your plugs easy to get at? If so, try heating them or replace them if you have spares. If only one is good, it will never start and the same if they are wet in these temps.

If you take the plugs out, crank the sled a few times without them to clear the cylinders. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Or everything is just that stiff with the extreme cold. I've heard of people putting a heat lamp under the engine cowling or even just a regular bulb if they have the room so it doesn't actually touch anything and leaving it for a while. They say the heat from the bulb was enough to make a difference and in some cases they put an insulating blanket over the engine cowling.

5 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Frozen relays likely. Pull them and warm them up inside.. I assume the battery is fully charged. 

The battery could be frozen also, but relays could be the culprit.

Holy shit where have you been?  

Im starting to think its just a piece of shit. Battery is fully charged, plugs are not easy to get at and Im not going to put a light under the hood every cold night...lol.  If Ski Doo used their heads it would have a pull cord on it. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Im starting to think its just a piece of shit. Battery is fully charged, plugs are not easy to get at and Im not going to put a light under the hood every cold night...lol.  If Ski Doo used their heads it would have a pull cord on it. 

It's pretty cold out, Jesse. When was the last time it was run? I'd try the light bulb/hair dryer trick or as, Paul, suggested, pull the relays or at least heat them and see what happens? We usually don't have to deal with weather this cold so I wouldn't really worry about it. You likely aren't the only one having issues. 

15 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Paging Puzzle.

Can't you add a recoil start?

Edited by ArcticCrusher
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Paging Puzzle.

Can't you add a recoil start?

:lol:I was going to say, where's the Puzzle when you need him! He'll probably tell you this is the rarest of rarest occasions and likely someone f#$*ed with it while you weren't looking? 

• Haha 1

yeah.  I'm pretty sure your temps up that way have been as cold as they are down here.  It's just fucking cold.  Hard on starting.  I'd imagine I'd have to pull mine over 20 times to get it to crank...and the first 5-6 would be a slow pull for sure.

Just now, Zambroski said:

yeah.  I'm pretty sure your temps up that way have been as cold as they are down here.  It's just fucking cold.  Hard on starting.  I'd imagine I'd have to pull mine over 20 times to get it to crank...and the first 5-6 would be a slow pull for sure.

-26C (-15 F) here this morning and likely 5-10C degrees colder out where Jess lives? Not much wants to run in those temps but I think he'll eventually get it started if he does those things suggested, hopefully?

38 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

I, and many others, never understood the no pull rope thing....makes no sense :smack:

The relay and ski doo issue, does sound like a familiar issue though.

The other issue could be a gas line freeze.

Some heat, in a garage, would likely be best first choice to resolve.

When I have started my sleds in these temps, and colder temps if you can believe it, the first thing you had to do was get the engine pulling over somewhat easy, once you did that after a few easy & slow pulls on the rope, she would always fire right up.

Edited by Stoney

11 minutes ago, irv said:

-26C (-15 F) here this morning and likely 5-10C degrees colder out where Jess lives? Not much wants to run in those temps but I think he'll eventually get it started if he does those things suggested, hopefully?

-26 in Parry Sound right now.  Heading over to start mine.  Might even go for a short run.

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I, and many others, never understood the no pull rope thing....makes no sense :smack:

When I have started my sleds in these temps, and colder temps if you can believe it, the first thing you had to do was get the engine pulling over somewhat easy, once you did that after a few easy & slow pulls on the rope, she would always fire right up.

A few short pulls then estart.

42 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

who said every cold night.... this has been extreme cold setting new record lows especially for this time of year. The light was to thaw it a bit after the extended deep freeze.

12 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

-26 in Parry Sound right now.  Heading over to start mine.  Might even go for a short run.

A few short pulls then estart.

My sled does not have e-start....pull rope all the way !

I made the mistake one frigid morning/night in QC to leave my oil on the sled and not top up the night before (like I normally do, but pulled into Val-D'Or too late & cold)......I could not believe how viscous the oil was the next morning, needed to let the container sit on a heater in the hotel to get it to pour out of the bottle..... 

For the fun (not really) of it...I just tried to start my sled after these -20/-30 week.  YEEEEHHHHHHHH!  She's slow to pull.  I pulled it 6 times and still couldn't get a good jerk at it.  Just fucking cold.  It is what it is.

1 hour ago, Renegade X said:

I put a bran new battery in her and it still wont start.  I bought the top of the line Yuasa battery. Do you think its just too cold for it or is something wrong with the sled? It just cranks over slowly. 800 etec.

Frozen...get the blow dryer out if you cant get in anywhere heated.

No, I would say there's a rope and clip to manually start it in his toolkit.  That's what it's there for. 

If it was a relay, it wouldn't be cranking.  What's your battery's standing voltage?  Without that info, you're guessing.  If it's less than high twelves, you'll need a charge or boost.  Remember, Yuasas are not what they used to be.  I'll not buy another. 

2 years ago, we could not pullstart an older 600 on a -40 Sudbury morning.  Felt like the rope was going to break.  A boost and she broke free electrically, and started. 

3 hours ago, irv said:

:lol:I was going to say, where's the Puzzle when you need him! He'll probably tell you this is the rarest of rarest occasions and likely someone f#$*ed with it while you weren't looking? 

Edited by Puzzleboy

And the bigger question is, just how many sledders know which way to wind the rope ?

I helped a guy with a dead 800 get his going last year on the trail with a rope.

Luckily it had been running, so it wasn,t a stone cold start, and only took a couple of tries.

The answer to that first question is, you have to turn the primary clutch counter clockwise, so wrap the rope accordingly, and be very carefully it doesn,t stay stuck to the clutch, and your hand once it starts.

• Like 1

Hard to believe you have to explain to sledders which way to wind the rope, but I hear ya!  I had to use mine once on my old ZX when the rope broke (no E start). 

Post up your voltage Renegade, we'll start there.  And did you charge it fully prior to installing?  What year is the sled, and mileage?  Throwing it in a warm shop won't really diagnose the problem, even if it starts.  Sleds aren't very useful in July.  :)

Edited by Puzzleboy

I don't think a gas line freeze would cause a slow crank.  :)

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

15 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

No, I would say there's a rope and clip to manually start it in his toolkit.  That's what it's there for. 

If it was a relay, it wouldn't be cranking.  What's your battery's standing voltage?  Without that info, you're guessing.  If it's less than high twelves, you'll need a charge or boost.  Remember, Yuasas are not what they used to be.  I'll not buy another. 

2 years ago, we could not pullstart an older 600 on a -40 Sudbury morning.  Felt like the rope was going to break.  A boost and she broke free electrically, and started. 

You mentioned that in this or another thread but didn't explain? Did you just happen to get a bad one and therefore they're all bad, or is there something more to this story?

I replaced mine 2-3 yrs ago and it still works like a charm, but maybe they went for a shit after that? I'm curious?