Ofsc trail map

yarddawg

5 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

WTF is going on with that OFSC site ? It should be updated by every club, at least once a day. Can they not get anything right ?

are you going to volunteer for your club to be the one to check all your trails daily and update the website daily....

Isn,t that the trail bosses job, and the job of whoever decides when the groomer goes out, and where ?

What good is a trail guide, IF it isn,t current and up to date ?

No wonder sledders ride trails that have been grooomed, whether they are officially open, or not.

How is any sledder suppose to plan a trip, or know what trails are open or closed, IF they don,t keep the updates current ?

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

Isn,t that the trail bosses job, and the job of whoever decides when the groomer goes out, and where ?

What good is a trail guide, IF it isn,t current and up to date ?

No wonder sledders ride trails that have been grooomed, whether they are officially open, or not.

How is any sledder suppose to plan a trip, or know what trails are open or closed, IF they don,t keep the updates current ?

the clubs do update regularly but not daily

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

What does regularly mean ?

Twice a week or when changes are required.

What makes you think the Map isn't accurate as it needs to be right now?

40 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I thought I had heard it was every Wednesday....  Came from a buddy of mine who was running a club.  This was about 2-3yrs ago however.  

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

A lot of the local re-routes, and trails in this area that are part of the Trans Canada Trail that are permanently closed still show up on the map.

The good news is, they finally got the location of our local clubhouse correct.

Not complaining, just stating that twice a week does not keep trail conditions current enough for sledders who want to plan trips.

I noticed evouala also do a couple of other provinces. It looks like the trails are grade on number of days since last groomer went through. No sure though. Maybe the gps on groomers could help out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

What does regularly mean ?

Most I have heard update twice a week. Thursdays seem to be the common one everyone uses so that people can plan for the upcoming weekend and I believe most also update Monday. Don't forget it's volunteers that are doing this. The ITG is not a reference as to when it was last groomed but a reference for the status of the availability of trails related to safety. Things like water holes, low snow coverage etc.

I have seen a trail freshly groomed table top smooth overnight on a Friday and by 1:00 Saturday thanks to the snowcross wannabe throttle jockeys it is totally beat and looks like a well moguled ski hill.

• Like 1

I really like PT3189s idea, that maybe since the OFSC knows in real time when any of their groomers are on the trails, that maybe once the groomers are parked at the end of their run, data could somehow be transmitted to the OFSC, so some of our membership dollars could be wisely spent on having a paid OFSC employee update the trail status. That should get the status very close to real time.

Since our season is so short, sledders really need to know what shape our trails are in, at least on a daily update basis.

I really wish I could help more with this new technology that is available, but for some reason, I cann,t seem to get my dial-up cell phone with a rotary dial to transmit the data required. LOL

Through the snowmobile season all OFSC clubs are required to do a mandatory update twice a week. Usually Tuesdays and Thursdays. If they don't update by those required times the trails will go grey as not reported. They do get penalized for not staying up to date on the risk management aspect of trail status.

All other updates which can be done at anytime are an extra bonus and good communication. 

• Like 2