One of Those Days You Dread

• Platinum Contributing Member

Well even though it’s time it still sucks and it always has and always will...headed to the vet at 3:00 to euthanize one of our dogs....Ben. Poor guy had a rough start in an abusive home until my wife rescued him. When we got him he was afraid to go outside because he had spent his life in a cage...he would go to the slider and stop not knowing what the hell was out there but over time he became comfortable and had been a great dog for many years. The diabetes has caught up with him and the vet says he has Dementia and now he comes in from outside and goes to the bathroom in the house...poor fella is blind as well so we made it through Christmas and New Years but today is the day. My poor wife is a wreck and it’s starting to hit me as well.

55AAE443-6BA8-4A6A-B327-5BEA540DB02C.thumb.jpeg.5bb74e9c0ef4a753aa275e4b84f13398.jpeg

• Sad 9

Jesus man...sorry to hear.   God Speed for the little guy and you are in our thoughts and prayers.   

When man 1st sinned against God he was kicked out of Paradise and a great chasm separated him from all the other animals as a punishment. Most animals accepted the separation and actually felt safer because man was now to be a hunter of many of them. All but one animal. This animal watched in distress as the chasm grew wider and man receded into the distance. This animal circled anxiously and finally at the last possible moment made a desperate leap across the chasm with just its paws reaching the edge of the precipice. Man reached down and grabbed the paws of Dog and held him. Ever since that day dog has been man’s best friend. Perhaps God had a change of heart at the last moment and helped dog with his leap so man would have at least one devoted animal companion and also perhaps it was no accident that this animal’s name was the name of God spelled backwards.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Sorry to hear the bad news. It never gets easier.

That sure is the truth....3 Labs and Lulu our lovable mutt plus Lucky the cat  and now Ben...sucks.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well even though it’s time it still sucks and it always has and always will...headed to the vet at 3:00 to euthanize one of our dogs....Ben. Poor guy had a rough start in an abusive home until my wife rescued him. When we got him he was afraid to go outside because he had spent his life in a cage...he would go to the slider and stop not knowing what the hell was out there but over time he became comfortable and had been a great dog for many years. The diabetes has caught up with him and the vet says he has Dementia and now he comes in from outside and goes to the bathroom in the house...poor fella is blind as well so we made it through Christmas and New Years but today is the day. My poor wife is a wreck and it’s starting to hit me as well.

55AAE443-6BA8-4A6A-B327-5BEA540DB02C.thumb.jpeg.5bb74e9c0ef4a753aa275e4b84f13398.jpeg

Dude.  So sorry.  I've lost 5 pups of my own.  Three, I had to make the decision you are making.  Every one is tough...and I cried like a girl as soon as I could get alone.  Love my kids!  Glad you guys stepped up and gave him a great home after such a rough start.  It's a tough thing to decide...but it's the right thing.

Good luck man.  :sad:

• Thanks 1

I know what you are going through and it never gets easy.

We had to do the same to with our Chocolate Lab, Buster, on Saturday.

He was 12, also a rescue, and had Canine Dementia as well.

So very sorry for your loss Jim, RIP Ben...

Edited by psledhead
  • Thanks 1

sorry for your loss.

Nothing tougher in my opinion.   Our old boxer just laid down and died a few months back. Never had that happen before. I was kind of relieved not to have to put her in car and drive to vet to be put down. She was a great dog right down to the end, still went outside to go to bathroom, 2hrs before she died.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you all so much for the kind words....we just got home from the vet and yeah it was really gut wrenching but Ben was so calm about the whole thing and went so peacefully we honestly think he was ready...no more insulin shots twice a day, no more confusion and pacing, no more getting lost in his own backyard, no more blindness....he was such a gentle and friendly dog I'm glad he is at peace. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1