Just Might Be Done With Sledding

Pete Z

Ridden Dirt Bikes since I was 10 and I'm 58 now.  Raced MX, Lots of Enduro's, Hare Scrambles, Trials.  Snowmoblied since about that time as well but gave it up from about the mid 80's to about 1999 because of costs associated with sledding for maybe 3 months a year vs riding dirt bikes basically year round if you wanted to.

To be frank, I've ridden various snow bike kits, (even a Sno Hawk) but to even compare these kits with a sled isn't a fair comparison.  THese kits are fun but the limited fuel range puts us back in the ET 340 or SRV 540 days (remember Yamaha 4-5 gal tanks)  You have to think of these kits as something else to do in the winter.  THey are problematic on hard pack trail.  Getting across roads is difficult.  Seeing one of those "follow road to trail" signs on a warm day with nothing but pavement to look at will make you turn around.  Trust me.  BUt THere is nothing else like them on fresh snow, single track or even beat up trail that has some give to it (not ice and hardpack).  Lot of fun there.

But you are colder riding these than any sled.  You wear, more of the trail, (snow dust and such) than you do on any sled.  THey aren't and never will be as fast top speed wise.  Saddle back overnight trips are still going to be Sled deals.  Day trips though, shorter in duration, would be an excellent way to get use out of a snow bike kit of the OFSC ever gets off its collective ass and makes a pass available to riders of these kits.

Until then, I'll keep my cheaper used sleds and continue to ride newer Dirt and Street bikes.

What are they? 

15 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

I'm putting my two etecs up for sale now. I might come back to it in a few years or if I don't get my price ill keep them.

My schedule, family life is crazy but no big deal. 

Ill likely buy an older one so I can go back to easy and simple.

On December 31, 2017 at 11:24 AM, dirtybeacher said:

Join the revolution!   The camso kit seems to be working well, and at a decent price.  There is a dealer in eastern Ontario selling 5199 tax in.  Budget at least another grand on mods to make the bike run well in the winter (stiffen forks, intake, thermostat, etc).  The 500 exc is an awesome platform, my bud has his setup for super moto, dirt, and snow.  I prefer to build timbersled with 450 race bikes, and leave it as snowbike all year long.  I've got oversize tank, and tunnel can - my range is about 100-130 km.  I'm always looking for riding partners.  

IMG_1704.JPG

Do you think I could get from Dorset to New Liskeard on one of these in a day?????

On 03/01/2018 at 9:29 AM, dirtybeacher said:

Bottom line is you want at least 40-45hp or more.  Hoyers bike this year is apparently 70 ponies.  

Do you think a 350 EXC would be too lazy? 

11 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

I would say that a 350 will work well enough, as long as you weigh less than 200. Search info here - lots of guys riding 350 out west. https://www.snowest.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178

My one riding bud just got a '17 this fall.  That bike rips. 

I don't own a scale,  but I would guess that I am around 200 lbs. No matter since the ad for a really well-priced  350 EXC that popped up on Kijiji yesterday seems to be gone.

3 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Not a bad idea to keep a sled around in case you need to tow out.  My bike almost spent the night in the bush Sunday.   

Must be kinda tricky towing a bike out ? I got towed out riding a bike out on gravel road, pretty squirrely, I would think a bike on snow must be even worse.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Not a bad idea to keep a sled around in case you need to tow out.  My bike almost spent the night in the bush Sunday.   

I will always have a sled or three in the garage and a few sleighs.  I need to haul firewood out of the bush plus I really enjoy messing around on beater sleds. We actually discussed breakdown recovery on the way back from the demo ride. Figured I'd modify a fish hut sleigh or purpose-build a snowbike transporter.

Edited by Pete Z
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

I will always have a sled or three in the garage and a few sleighs.  I need to haul firewood out of the bush plus I really enjoy messing around on beater sleds. We actually discussed breakdown recovery on the way back from the demo ride. Figured I'd modify a fish hut sleigh or purpose-build a snowbike transporter.

I will keep my eye out for an old Mach z