Just Might Be Done With Sledding

Pete Z

38 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

It could happen overnight.  All it would take is one of the manu's to build a msva approved snowbike.  Which arctic cat has been working on   

I do agree that amending the msva for the current kits could take years though.   But coupled with increased popularity, and the massive market in the east, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the major players forced the legal issues to be resolved sooner than later.  I believe cat had tried in Minnesota already, but were unsuccessful.  

I do know that kit bikes are legal on trail in New Hampshire when properly plated, insured and with trail permit.  

I can see it happening in jurisdictions outside of Ontario sooner than it would here. Heck we need to request a permit fee change way ahead. I can't see Ontario acting quickly on much to do with the sport.

Can't see riding a 400 km day on them, so trail riding is out.  And they're geared towards trespassing, so mainstream acceptance ain't gonna happen. 

Like a Sea-Doo...... fun for an hour or so, but then give me the real thing.

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Can't see riding a 400 km day on them, so trail riding is out. 

Like a Sea-Doo...... fun for an hour or so, but then give me the real thing.  A fad, basically. 

Agree on the PWC thing to some extent, but on the snowbikes I beg to differ. Ride one and then get back to me.

BTW - 400 km trail days don't necessarily equate to fun. 

I'm sure they are fun.  But they don't look fun for a point to point trip, and the snowmobile's capability in that regard, is what got all the trail systems connected. 

They will have a market, sure, but not in organized or family snowmobiling. 

Yep, staying at a nice lodge at the end of a great trail day sucks big-time.  :)

1 minute ago, Puzzleboy said:

I'm sure they are fun.  But they don't look fun for a point to point trip, and the snowmobile's capability in that regard, is what got all the trail systems connected. 

They will have a market, sure, but not in organized or family snowmobiling. 

Yep, staying at a nice lodge at the end of a great trail day sucks big-time.  :)

Destination snowmobiling is slowly but surely dying. Saddlebag trips are becoming a thing of the past right along with the connected trail system. I'm not saying that snowbikes are the answer, not by a long shot. The elevated level of skill required to operate almost guarantees them to an "also ran" status. However based on my experience yesterday they are going to increase in popularity as traditional snowmobiling's participation will continue to slide.

11 hours ago, Pete Z said:

Destination snowmobiling is slowly but surely dying. Saddlebag trips are becoming a thing of the past right along with the connected trail system. I'm not saying that snowbikes are the answer, not by a long shot. The elevated level of skill required to operate almost guarantees them to an "also ran" status. However based on my experience yesterday they are going to increase in popularity as traditional snowmobiling's participation will continue to slide.

Sledding is becoming more family oriented so the costs are $$$ for those who want to stay with it.  We see more and more on the trails and that is the future target IMO.  The bikes are a good adrenalin rush but that isn't going to do it for most, wouldn't mind trying one though.  

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sledding is becoming more family oriented so the costs are $$$ for those who want to stay with it.  We see more and more on the trails and that is the future target IMO.  The bikes are a good adrenalin rush but that isn't going to do it for most, wouldn't mind trying one though.  

When I get one you will be more than welcome to try it out. Be forewarned though that if you have any sort of history of riding dirt bikes then you are going to want to own one.

• Like 1

Rode one last year in Revelstoke.

It was a blast, however that was in DEEP powder, like it was designed for.

Don't see them catching on out here in flatland country, and especially don't think they are suited for trail riding on private property, way to tempting to go off trail.

15 minutes ago, Reevester said:

You put them up for sale quick Pete. :lol:

I can understand though if you really enjoyed the snowbikes and the area you have to ride. It's catching on quick that's for sure. :bc:

Just testing the waters.  Lots of interest though - I might be on a snowbike sooner rather than later. I still love sleds, but the available trails and amenities become less and less every year. Time for a cool change.

48 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

Just testing the waters.  Lots of interest though - I might be on a snowbike sooner rather than later. I still love sleds, but the available trails and amenities become less and less every year. Time for a cool change.

Sleds will sell at that price no problem I would think. Especially with the start we have in areas. :bc:

Edited by Reevester
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Z said:

C"Mon Pete! That' what a trailers for lol

26 minutes ago, smokin george said:

C"Mon Pete! That' what a trailers for lol

Hardly any trails left in my neighbourhood, all my favourite old beer stops are closed and trailering is a PITA. 

46 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Tough taking kids out on snowbikes till they are a bit older. 

True, but all you need to get your kids out before they are ready to ride a 120 would be an old beater to bomb around the back 40 on. With the number of idiots out there that can't stay on their own side I personally would be really leery of doubling a kid on the OFSC trails.

26 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

True, but all you need to get your kids out before they are ready to ride a 120 would be an old beater to bomb around the back 40 on. With the number of idiots out there that can't stay on their own side I personally would be really leery of doubling a kid on the OFSC trails.

Biggest thing I worry about too. It' why it will be weekday rides on small feeder trails close to camp when I take the boy out. 

Edited by Reevester

29 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

It's definitely different out there with all the idiots on the trails. 

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

The idiots have always been out there, but you can't live in a bubble either. 

Yes they have.

I see lots of families out with their kids riding in the mid pack, same as we do for newbies.