Im gelling , are you gelling?

• Platinum Contributing Member

So I'm out running errands yesterday in my f -150 and my neighbor call me . Stuck at his dentist's office . Excursion will not start. So I grab him some 911 and some fresh diesel , get him up and running.

Driving home and my other neighbor is out working on his peterbuilt so he can work last night ( he delivers gas ) Give him a can of 911 , still wouldn't start. Get home hop in my f-350 to go pick up my sled , get 1/2 way there peddle 1/2 way to the floor. 20 mph. Luckily I was at the top of a hill nd at the bottom was a tractor sales place. Made it there , dumped in a quart at ran fine. 

Ill always throw the white bottle in this time of yr but havnt had to use the red yet. We will hit single didgits below zero at night a lot. But usualy always climbs above 10 during the day. This weather is bullshit.

It must be pretty cold in amherst this week. 

I think our #1 is rated for -40. It never gets anywhere close to -40 where I live but because it can get that cold 100 miles to the north the standard winter fuel here is rated for about -40. Further north they put additional additives in diesel so it is rated for even colder than -40. 

A lot of guys use 911 in winter just for an extra measure of protection. 

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

So I'm out running errands yesterday in my f -150 and my neighbor call me . Stuck at his dentist's office . Excursion will not start. So I grab him some 911 and some fresh diesel , get him up and running.

Driving home and my other neighbor is out working on his peterbuilt so he can work last night ( he delivers gas ) Give him a can of 911 , still wouldn't start. Get home hop in my f-350 to go pick up my sled , get 1/2 way there peddle 1/2 way to the floor. 20 mph. Luckily I was at the top of a hill nd at the bottom was a tractor sales place. Made it there , dumped in a quart at ran fine. 

Ill always throw the white bottle in this time of yr but havnt had to use the red yet. We will hit single didgits below zero at night a lot. But usualy always climbs above 10 during the day. This weather is bullshit.

Do you use biodiesel in your state? In Minnesota we drop from 10% to 5% bio during the winter months. Then blend #1 as the weather gets colder. I haul gas for a large convenience store chain here in Minnesota. Next spring Minnesota is mandating 20% biodiesel May-September. 

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I believe winter fuel here is rated for -15. Neg 40 would be nice , for fuel , not temps.

I have no idea what are deisel is rated for.. ive never had gelling issues since ive been out here...had a few batteries crack from cold though.

3 hours ago, awful knawful said:

That the stuff on truckers radio all the time? 

Not sure but truckers that know a bit about the health of a diesel engine will likely use howell's.  A friend of mine years ago was a diesel mechanic and always preached about how safe it is on an engine compared to alot of other brands of treatment.  Swore you could damn nearly run it full strength and not harm the motor, where as other products you really had to watch out for especially injection pumps.

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, hayward said:

Not sure but truckers that know a bit about the health of a diesel engine will likely use howell's.  A friend of mine years ago was a diesel mechanic and always preached about how safe it is on an engine compared to alot of other brands of treatment.  Swore you could damn nearly run it full strength and not harm the motor, where as other products you really had to watch out for especially injection pumps.

Interesting .

Diesel Treat prevents fuel from gelling, increases power and fuel economy. It is guaranteed to prevent gelling or Howes pays the tow.

the diesel in the states is crap, i filled up coming back from florida and no sooner got across the border and same thing started, gelling

ended up putting in my buddies shop and let it thaw out. ended up leaving it there till we had some warm weather

58 minutes ago, toslow said:

the diesel in the states is crap, i filled up coming back from florida and no sooner got across the border and same thing started, gelling

ended up putting in my buddies shop and let it thaw out. ended up leaving it there till we had some warm weather

yep won't argue that.  Black sooty shit caked to the filter's internals is pretty much what one finds when they cut one open, and iv'e seen it on filters changed every 100 hrs. use.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Interesting .

Diesel Treat prevents fuel from gelling, increases power and fuel economy. It is guaranteed to prevent gelling or Howes pays the tow.

Yeah I spelled it wrong.  Always want to put 2 l's instead of the w.