Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

Johnny Bower dead 93

The wife was just telling me about that half hour ago.

Met Johnny a few times out the back of the Gardens when they  had open practices. One tough guy for sure. RIP

Met him when I was 10 yrs old...he was the mystery goalie during our Kiwanis allstar shoot out they had every yr back in the day.

Rip Johnny :(

I use to live in the same hood as johnny, seen and talked to him plenty of times. he would walk his grand kids along the ravine behind my house. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

3 alarm blaze in Cheektowaga.

Sad to hear about Johnny.

Had to check that on Irv.

93 is a good run.  Rip.

My father worked with Dave Keon's mother at Eaton's in Toronto.

We were invited to their home in '67 for a Stanley Cup party, and the whole Leaf team was there. Bower was my favourite player and I had the opportunity meet and have a lengthy conversion with him at the time. He gave me an autographed photo, and arranged to have the whole team sign a hockey stick for me. Even though I was eighteen at the time, I felt like a little kid.

I had that stick and photo on my wall for years, until some bast*rd stole it during a party.

That would sure be worth some coin now!~

Johnny was a true gentleman and a Toronto legend. I met him once. Family friends were neighbours of his.

To low...was that out in Mississauga?

I built his house there years back, heard he was still there.

He and his wife were great people, stopped by every day to chat and take photos. Super nice couple.

yeah it was,  the ravine backed up to my back yard. he would often walk his grand kids along it. and sometimes his son would be with him.

don't know if anyone knows this or not, but johnny has a Christmas song he put out many yrs ago called honky honky the Christmas goose

Edited by toslow

12 hours ago, Bigfish said:

My father worked with Dave Keon's mother at Eaton's in Toronto.

We were invited to their home in '67 for a Stanley Cup party, and the whole Leaf team was there. Bower was my favourite player and I had the opportunity meet and have a lengthy conversion with him at the time. He gave me an autographed photo, and arranged to have the whole team sign a hockey stick for me. Even though I was eighteen at the time, I felt like a little kid.

I had that stick and photo on my wall for years, until some bast*rd stole it during a party.

That would sure be worth some coin now!~

That sucks, Bigfish. Do you still have the autographed photo? That would still be worth something but nothing like having that whole stick signed. His Rookie Card will likely increase in value/demand now. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1954-PARKHURST-65-JOHNNY-BOWER-ROOKIE-RC-PSA-8-NM-MT/142475342712?hash=item212c313378:g:PDgAAOSw74VZkI9v

Do you have any other memorabilia, John, or was that about it? I have a great pic, among some other stuff, of my Uncle Sam taken with Mickey Mantle and Dizzy Trout at the 1958 World Series.

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1597 (Large).JPG

IMG_1595 (Large).JPG

Edited by irv

No Irv, both are gone>:(

Been gone 45 years now, not much chance I'll ever see it again