Unauthorized Login Attempt

Pete Z

15 minutes ago, irv said:

I got a new Microsoft call tonight, only this one was a recording?

I listened to the spiel, which was from a very english speaking woman. At the end, I forget the first part on what to do now (hardly paying attention) but the second part asked me to hit 9 to speak to a technician. That's a new one, and with the professionalism of it, it will definitely fool many, I'm afraid.

My wife had a guy come to her wicket today at GM requesting to change all his banking info. He received an e-mail about a recent E-transfer, which he did, but when he clicked on the link that was addressed to him, all hell broke loose and they cleaned out his one account of $2400.00 dollars. He immediately phoned his bank and was told it's a scam so they froze everything and stopped a further in progress removal of funds from another account. He has not been reimbursed yet and was told this could take days/weeks?

New year=new scams?? They don't rest people, they work 24/7 so make sure all your security is up to date and if anything looks suspicious or makes you question it, stop and contact your bank or whomever. 

first dead give away is a large corp actually caring about you

Microsoft doesn't care if you have a virus nor should they - nor have the ability to know you have one.

your provider fake call is much more convincing but again they have no means to know oyu have a virus 

glad  you didn't fall for it

I asked the guy which computer has the virus as I have 4 running, he said it didn't matter :lmao:  

I like to tell microsoft calls that I run Linux and listen to the sounds of silence 

Just now, 1trailmaker said:

Microsoft doesn't care if you have a virus nor should they - nor have the ability to know you have one.

your provider fake call is much more convincing but again they have no means to know oyu have a virus 

I asked the guy which computer has the virus as I have 4 running, he said it didn't matter :lmao:  

I like to tell microsoft calls that I run Linux and listen to the sounds of silence 

No worries there, plus it had the distinct, I am a scammer, ring to it. 

8 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

My wife falls for the pop ups "your computer is infected" all the time.  Cntl-alt-del and shutdown that browser.

9 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My wife falls for the pop ups "your computer is infected" all the time.  Cntl-alt-del and shutdown that browser.

on pop up alerts that have YES - NO don't push no either use the x with a circle around it in the top right corner.  the no can be a yes button easily the x can't do that 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, irv said:

I got a new Microsoft call tonight, only this one was a recording?

I listened to the spiel, which was from a very english speaking woman. At the end, I forget the first part on what to do now (hardly paying attention) but the second part asked me to hit 9 to speak to a technician. That's a new one, and with the professionalism of it, it will definitely fool many, I'm afraid.

My wife had a guy come to her wicket today at GM requesting to change all his banking info. He received an e-mail about a recent E-transfer, which he did, but when he clicked on the link that was addressed to him, all hell broke loose and they cleaned out his one account of $2400.00 dollars. He immediately phoned his bank and was told it's a scam so they froze everything and stopped a further in progress removal of funds from another account. He has not been reimbursed yet and was told this could take days/weeks?

New year=new scams?? They don't rest people, they work 24/7 so make sure all your security is up to date and if anything looks suspicious or makes you question it, stop and contact your bank or whomever. 

This kinda shit scares me and pisses me off. I have parents in their 80's and you know they are the ones who fall for this crap.

My dad got all freaked out a couple years ago when one of those "CRA" guys called saying he owed back taxes. He thought he was going to jail.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This kinda shit scares me and pisses me off. I have parents in their 80's and you know they are the ones who fall for this crap.My dad got all freaked out a couple years ago when one of those "CRA" guys called saying he owed back taxes. He thought he was going to jail.

It happened to my Mom a few years ago. She fell for the spiel and thought everything was legit. If it wasn't for my niece coming in as my mother was on the phone with them, who knows what would have happened?

Needless to say, she had to take her computer in and have it cleaned/wiped as some damage/hacking was successful. My mom was 70 at the time and wouldn't listen to my Father who told her it was likely a scam.

17 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

on pop up alerts that have YES - NO don't push no either use the x with a circle around it in the top right corner.  the no can be a yes button easily the x can't do that 

or even better yet like AC said Ctrl-Alt-Delete and Start Task Manager then shut down the browser. Not clicking anything at all in the browser or the popup.

Anyone know much about Facebook? I don't frequent it all that much but noticed some things a while ago, quite a while ago, that got me wondering if I had been hacked?

What I am talking about, is, when I was in, I noticed new posts or pics from some friends and when I went to hit the "like" tab/button, it already showed I did??? Wondering if I was losing my mind, I just brushed it off as I likely don't remember doing that?

Just before Christmas, I got a couple Birthday notices but didn't have time then to go in to address them. Later in that day, when I was planning on going in, I received an e-mail notification thanking me for the Birthday Wishes??? It was right then I knew I wasn't losing my mind and something was up for sure as I know for a fact I did not enter FB nor wish this person a Happy Birthday.

I haven't done anything yet, other than to post that I have been hacked that day but I should address this if I can? I am thinking changing my password first but other than that, I am not sure what else I can do to ensure I am clean nor how to do any security updates or checks? Like I mentioned, I rarely go in so I have no idea where to even start? If anyone can offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it. :bc:

14 minutes ago, irv said:

Anyone know much about Facebook? I don't frequent it all that much but noticed some things a while ago, quite a while ago, that got me wondering if I had been hacked?

What I am talking about, is, when I was in, I noticed new posts or pics from some friends and when I went to hit the "like" tab/button, it already showed I did??? Wondering if I was losing my mind, I just brushed it off as I likely don't remember doing that?

Just before Christmas, I got a couple Birthday notices but didn't have time then to go in to address them. Later in that day, when I was planning on going in, I received an e-mail notification thanking me for the Birthday Wishes??? It was right then I knew I wasn't losing my mind and something was up for sure as I know for a fact I did not enter FB nor wish this person a Happy Birthday.

I haven't done anything yet, other than to post that I have been hacked that day but I should address this if I can? I am thinking changing my password first but other than that, I am not sure what else I can do to ensure I am clean nor how to do any security updates or checks? Like I mentioned, I rarely go in so I have no idea where to even start? If anyone can offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it. :bc:

It happens often sometimes its from apps 

this might help you out

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=4666230937223

When you sign up for Facebook you give them permission to access your contacts your pictures, browsing history and a whole lot more. CBC did a show on what you give access to with a bunch of apps and showed the target marketing that happens through the use of cookies etc.

Go shopping for shoes online then go to an unrelated website that earns advertising revenue and watch the banners come up trying to sell you shoes.

25 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

It happens often sometimes its from apps 

this might help you out

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=4666230937223

9 minutes ago, 02sled said:

When you sign up for Facebook you give them permission to access your contacts your pictures, browsing history and a whole lot more. CBC did a show on what you give access to with a bunch of apps and showed the target marketing that happens through the use of cookies etc.

Go shopping for shoes online then go to an unrelated website that earns advertising revenue and watch the banners come up trying to sell you shoes.

What do you guys mean by "apps"? I think I know what apps are but I don't use my phone for anything other than calling and texting? Is there apps on FB? If so, I obviously don't know what they are nor do I believe I use them? I mainly go in to post or like something or wish someone a Happy Birthday. I don't do much more than that but I do know if I like something, then it seems I get all those ads from the business/person I have liked, which I usually choose to quit following. How can someone wish someone a happy birthday to someone else under the guise it was me? Same goes for likes on my friends pics or postings? As far as I knew, nothing has been malicious yet, and the Happy Birthday wish was a normal Happy Birthday as if I had wrote it myself? I also sometimes don't get birthday notifications and sometimes I do? Something is definitely going on so I need to know where to begin, like tell me where on FB I go to at least change my password or update some security settings? As you can tell, I don't have a clue about any of this stuff.

2 hours ago, irv said:

What do you guys mean by "apps"? I think I know what apps are but I don't use my phone for anything other than calling and texting? Is there apps on FB? If so, I obviously don't know what they are nor do I believe I use them? I mainly go in to post or like something or wish someone a Happy Birthday. I don't do much more than that but I do know if I like something, then it seems I get all those ads from the business/person I have liked, which I usually choose to quit following. How can someone wish someone a happy birthday to someone else under the guise it was me? Same goes for likes on my friends pics or postings? As far as I knew, nothing has been malicious yet, and the Happy Birthday wish was a normal Happy Birthday as if I had wrote it myself? I also sometimes don't get birthday notifications and sometimes I do? Something is definitely going on so I need to know where to begin, like tell me where on FB I go to at least change my password or update some security settings? As you can tell, I don't have a clue about any of this stuff.

I am not sure how they are doing that to you

but this link will help with settings

http://offthewallsocial.com/blog/facebook-says-i-like-it-but-i-did-not/

and this is how to delete likes and stuff  you may not like

19 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I am not sure how they are doing that to you

but this link will help with settings

and this is how to delete likes and stuff  you may not like

Thanks, Trail. I haven't looked at those yet but will when I feel like getting around to it. Not really into FB much and even less so now with my current issues but I will put an effort in sometime this week-end.

Thanks again. :bc: