Unauthorized Login Attempt

Pete Z

5 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

lately I have gotten similar from gmail accounts 

It was from a Gmail account.  Do you recall if it said that the login attempt was from Acton or some other location?

2 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

It was from a Gmail account.  Do you recall if it said that the login attempt was from Acton or some other location?

I got a Gmail notification from a recovery email belonging to my son.  It sounded legit and it was. He tried to login a few times incorrectly and got locked out.

Looked a bit suspicious at first.

Cursor over the reset link to see what address its pointing to.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pete Z said:

I was doing a little cyber-housecleaning this evening and deleting emails when I noticed this from a few weeks ago in the social media folder. Anybody else ever get something similar?

Screenshot_2017-12-26-19-33-40.png

Scam to get you to link to their system and give them your password. I've been getting phone calls from Microsoft saying they detected problems on my PC and calls from CRA threatening legal action and arrest unless I contact them and pay immediately.

Edited by 02sled
  • Like 1

I'm going to get $25K... all I have to do is give this prince my banking information so he can transfer $250K to my bank account so he can get it out of his country. He will let me keep the $25K for my help.

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Bell is strange I am in Montreal often according to my IP 

Most warnings from Bell should say "check activity"  not "change your password" buttons 

My location changes dependent upon which server they are routing my connection through that day.

10 hours ago, 02sled said:

Scam to get you to link to their system and give them your password. I've been getting phone calls from Microsoft saying they detected problems on my PC and calls from CRA threatening legal action and arrest unless I contact them and pay immediately.

I received 2 of those in the last month. Same story every time. The last guy I put on hold to see how long he would hand tough. Surprisingly, he didn't go anymore than about 3-4 minutes. :lol:

I have also been getting calls from Rogers. The first time I told the guy we already had Rogers so he hung up rudely, which I knew must have been a scam. We have received at least 4-5 calls since (within the last 6 months) so it's definitely some other kind of scam going on. 

3 hours ago, Pete Z said:

No, but I hear that it's worth the drive. 

:lmao:

9 hours ago, irv said:

I received 2 of those in the last month. Same story every time. The last guy I put on hold to see how long he would hand tough. Surprisingly, he didn't go anymore than about 3-4 minutes. :lol:

I have also been getting calls from Rogers. The first time I told the guy we already had Rogers so he hung up rudely, which I knew must have been a scam. We have received at least 4-5 calls since (within the last 6 months) so it's definitely some other kind of scam going on. 

Sometimes if I'm bored I play with the guys who say they are from Mircrosoft. They start telling me what they want me to enter and want me to tell them what is on my screen. I tell them things that don't jive with what they want to tell me. They want my actual IP address to start and I tell them I've got a message about something called BIOS then I talk to them about Trace Route with x numbers of hops. They either hang up or get mad telling me I'm not following their instructions properly.

I had forgotten about the Rogers guys... Hi, I'm calling from Rogers. Who is your service provider. I tell them if they were really from Rogers they would know that. It's amazing the number of people that fall for this stuff.

So much for the CRTC blocking this stuff and telemarketing. Almost daily This is Sam from Air Duct Cleaning. Lately I've been getting calls from real estate agents wanting to know if I want to sell the house. I ask them if they have heard of the "do not call list"? They say yes and I ask "why are you calling me then?"

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

Sometimes if I'm bored I play with the guys who say they are from Mircrosoft. They start telling me what they want me to enter and want me to tell them what is on my screen. I tell them things that don't jive with what they want to tell me. They want my actual IP address to start and I tell them I've got a message about something called BIOS then I talk to them about Trace Route with x numbers of hops. They either hang up or get mad telling me I'm not following their instructions properly.

I had forgotten about the Rogers guys... Hi, I'm calling from Rogers. Who is your service provider. I tell them if they were really from Rogers they would know that. It's amazing the number of people that fall for this stuff.

So much for the CRTC blocking this stuff and telemarketing. Almost daily This is Sam from Air Duct Cleaning. Lately I've been getting calls from real estate agents wanting to know if I want to sell the house. I ask them if they have heard of the "do not call list"? They say yes and I ask "why are you calling me then?"

Just half hour ago, at 9:30am no less, Air Duct cleaning again!! >:( @#$% assholes! There has to be a way to stop these SOB's from calling all the time. 

24 minutes ago, irv said:

Just half hour ago, at 9:30am no less, Air Duct cleaning again!! >:( @#$% assholes! There has to be a way to stop these SOB's from calling all the time. 

CBC had a show on those calls coming from India and asked CRTC about them. CRTC said they are very hard to trace and track down. CBC said we were able to do it, why can't you? They always manage to call us when we are having dinner. I think the most we have gotten is about 6 in a day. The real pain now is that they are starting to call the cell phone. They use up time allocation and voice mail.

48 minutes ago, irv said:

Take there time up.  Talk to them.  Ask a hundred stupid questions.  Confuse them.  Make an appointment then cancel it 3 or 4 times.

Fuck with them.  

If they are on the phone with you for 5 minutes it’s 5 they can’t sucker someone else and they don’t make money if they don’t sell.

And last, give them 02sleds address for all appointments.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Take there time up.  Talk to them.  Ask a hundred stupid questions.  Confuse them.  Make an appointment then cancel it 3 or 4 times.

Fuck with them.  

If they are on the phone with you for 5 minutes it’s 5 they can’t sucker someone else and they don’t make money if they don’t sell.

That's okay... I'll be calling and changing my appointments at my address to yours. :D

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, irv said:

I was getting calls from the duct cleaning guys all summer, like every other day at times. Got to the point that I recognized the number when they called. Sometimes I just hung up, some times I fucked with them if I wasn't in a hurry, some times I just kept saying goatfucker until they hung up.

I drove to Florida back in November (bluetooth display in the truck) and the old lady couldn't believe how many bullshit phone calls I get in a day. Its gotten to the point that I rarely answer the phone any more. I let it go to voicemail and call people back.

Edited by Blackstar

22 hours ago, Sksman said:

Fuck with them.  

Are they legit, will someone actually come and clean your ducts? I just assumed they were after your CC number for a deposit or the full pop and would never show? 

A friend at our trailer, who was dealing with his Aunt's estate, found out she had her ducts cleaned something like 4 times in 8 months. Rotten @#$%&*'s!!

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was getting calls from the duct cleaning guys all summer, like every other day at times. Got to the point that I recognized the number when they called. Sometimes I just hung up, some times I fucked with them if I wasn't in a hurry, some times I just kept saying goatfucker until they hung up.

I drove to Florida back in November (bluetooth display in the truck) and the old lady couldn't believe how many bullshit phone calls I get in a day. Its gotten to the point that I rarely answer the phone any more. I let it go to voicemail and call people back.

Our phone usually rings funny/odd so we know it's a crank/scam call but my Son's girlfriends home phone also rings like this so with no call display, we usually answer it.

It's very rare that she uses her home phone but we did miss an important phone call from her one time thinking it was just these assholes again. 

1 hour ago, irv said:

Are they legit, will someone actually come and clean your ducts? I just assumed they were after your CC number for a deposit or the full pop and would never show? 

A friend at our trailer, who was dealing with his Aunt's estate, found out she had her ducts cleaned something like 4 times in 8 months. Rotten @#$%&*'s!!

Our phone usually rings funny/odd so we know it's a crank/scam call but my Son's girlfriends home phone also rings like this so with no call display, we usually answer it.

It's very rare that she uses her home phone but we did miss an important phone call from her one time thinking it was just these assholes again. 

Same here. I would much rather answer the phone and if nobody is there immediately you know it's a robo call and just hang up. It's a nuisance but quickly ended. My wife would rather let it keep ringing until the answering machine kicks in. (8 rings I think). I find the ringing much more annoying.

My way I won't miss something I didn't want to miss. CRTC should be able to block these calls from getting into the country in the first place.

by the way if the DUCT CLEANING guys call and you just happen to need your ducts cleaned don't take the bait.   These people have one goal and that is to RED TAG  your furnace, they will not clean anything and insist you need a new furnace.  RED TAGS are very hard to get rid of 

7 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

by the way if the DUCT CLEANING guys call and you just happen to need your ducts cleaned don't take the bait.   These people have one goal and that is to RED TAG  your furnace, they will not clean anything and insist you need a new furnace.  RED TAGS are very hard to get rid of 

The fuckers keep calling me.

13 hours ago, soupkid said:

The fuckers keep calling me.

I'm good for a couple of calls a day for duct cleaning. Never the name of a company, just duct cleaning. There must be an awful lot of foolish Canadians out there that fall for this stuff. If not they wouldn't be making any money and the calls would eventually stop. As long as there are fools who bite they will keep trying. I saw one situation on the news about a month ago where a woman gave the crooks posing as CRA $15K over the phone

I got a new Microsoft call tonight, only this one was a recording?

I listened to the spiel, which was from a very english speaking woman. At the end, I forget the first part on what to do now (hardly paying attention) but the second part asked me to hit 9 to speak to a technician. That's a new one, and with the professionalism of it, it will definitely fool many, I'm afraid.

My wife had a guy come to her wicket today at GM requesting to change all his banking info. He received an e-mail about a recent E-transfer, which he did, but when he clicked on the link that was addressed to him, all hell broke loose and they cleaned out his one account of $2400.00 dollars. He immediately phoned his bank and was told it's a scam so they froze everything and stopped a further in progress removal of funds from another account. He has not been reimbursed yet and was told this could take days/weeks?

New year=new scams?? They don't rest people, they work 24/7 so make sure all your security is up to date and if anything looks suspicious or makes you question it, stop and contact your bank or whomever. 

Edited by irv