Hydro One crash near Tweed

Puzzleboy

12 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I was trying to find a pic of the bag on one of their helicopters but haven't found on it,   how the hell can a bag fall off :dunno:  freak accident for sure.

How is it secured?

why isn't is in a metal box :dunno:  

This is what the bag looks like intact:

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/line-hose-electrode-bags/line-hose-bag

No idea of if it's actually used for tools or carrying the orange 'guards' that are placed over the wires when working near them?

Like someone posted, the guys had probably down the same tasks hundreds of times before and shit happens. Heck I got my thumb caught in a spot welding gun 1 day when we were doing a PM. Fortunately no lasting injury. We'd done that hundreds of time over the years & that day I had a brain fart. Luckily nobody was hurt.

I recall seeing some stats from WSIB a while back where if I recall correctly they said something like 90% of injuries occur when people have that brain fart and make a mistake OR intentionally disregard the safety protocols that are in place because they are a nuisance.

10 hours ago, 02sled said:

I recall seeing some stats from WSIB a while back where if I recall correctly they said something like 90% of injuries occur when people have that brain fart and make a mistake OR intentionally disregard the safety protocols that are in place because they are a nuisance.

The last maybe 5 years, there has been a much bigger presence on many  construction sites regarding health and safety inspectors, I believe a lot of new people were hired to do that, plus the big changes in the training/safety certificates needed & many job sites make it mandatory to go through a site safety orientation before you are even allowed to work on the site.

I am guessing Hydo One is self governed by their own H&S team that do their own spot checks on proper practices and ensure the safety policies are being followed.

My dad was a linesman, he has mentioned on a few occasions that some of the safety measures brought in over the last while actually do the opposite, it gives the younger guys entering the work force a lack of respect for what they are working with, in their line of field...perhaps that is his "old boys" attitude of looking at, not sure....

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

The last maybe 5 years, there has been a much bigger presence on many  construction sites regarding health and safety inspectors, I believe a lot of new people were hired to do that, plus the big changes in the training/safety certificates needed & many job sites make it mandatory to go through a site safety orientation before you are even allowed to work on the site.

I am guessing Hydo One is self governed by their own H&S team that do their own spot checks on proper practices and ensure the safety policies are being followed.

My dad was a linesman, he has mentioned on a few occasions that some of the safety measures brought in over the last while actually do the opposite, it gives the younger guys entering the work force a lack of respect for what they are working with, in their line of field...perhaps that is his "old boys" attitude of looking at, not sure....

Normally there is a safety coordinator assigned by the general contractor on large projects who's sole responsibility is to ensure the safety procedures are followed.  On one site the owners overruled him and were forced to sign off on sole liability for a safety circuit that did not meet SIL3/4.

OHSA spells out a lot of regulations about having Health & Safety Committees. We had people certified Level 1 & 2 for OHSA relative to the number of people on site. We had a scissor lift that the guys grumbled about needing a safety harness for even when they weren't what they thought wasn't very high up. They always used it though. We also had some very high amperage and voltage electrical infrastructure.

I was highly motivated to make sure all the safety regulations were followed. Under OHSA if someone was seriously injured or killed I could land in jail. That wasn't going to happen. I never had any pushback on health or safety spending of any sort. Corporately every site had a defibrillator and everyone on our site was trained on how to use it as well as receiving a 3 day course in First Aid.

MNR lost 4 workers in helicopter accident in 2003 Similar aircraft as well..My partner who worked for them at time lost friends She had more helo time other than the pilots..Never did  she say training  or equipment was  an issue. So saying Thats not going to happen is wishful thinking. Shit happens.Best is we can learn from it.

2 hours ago, gtserider said:

MNR lost 4 workers in helicopter accident in 2003 Similar aircraft as well..My partner who worked for them at time lost friends She had more helo time other than the pilots..Never did  she say training  or equipment was  an issue. So saying Thats not going to happen is wishful thinking. Shit happens.Best is we can learn from it.

Are you talking about the crash near Mekatina north of the Soo?