Hydro One crash near Tweed

Puzzleboy

6 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

so you are sure it was the pilots error :dunno:  I haven't seen the same report you obviously have.

I assume you have pics of the properly attached tool bag? 

I would not be surprised if they implement a better way to secure toolbags and make the crew responsible for signoff before taking off.

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I would not be surprised if they implement a better way to secure toolbags and make the crew responsible for signoff before taking off.

In the real world, the odd time, shit happens. ..

We had an airplane depart the other day that lost a complete side cowling.  Pilot's responsibility; however, it had just come out maintenance and the latches were closed just not in their attachments points....it happens

29 minutes ago, Poncho said:

We had an airplane depart the other day that lost a complete side cowling.  Pilot's responsibility; however, it had just come out maintenance and the latches were closed just not in their attachments points....it happens

Yah I know.  They will add more red tape to cover off any possible negligence.

• Thanks 1

I heard some kids found it on Wilson Ave. and were tobagganing on it....

2 hours ago, Poncho said:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, irv said:

Please tell me you are not as obtuse as how you write/seem SKS? Did you watch the first vid? Does it look like they are in a suburban area with civilians, high rises and the like around? :whistle:

How much down time do surgeons, firemen, policemen, etc, have during the day? Do you think we should just pick these guys up off the street and immediately put them to work when something important comes up?  Of course these guys are well trained and have down time, but the down time is not just a bunch of them sitting around doing nothing waiting for the next crisis to come up. Like firemen/policemen, as an example, and most, besides you, are glad these people are around and ready to jump into action when the time comes up.

You remind me of a guy who made some bad career decisions growing up and rather than look at that and try to improve upon yourself, you use your anger/disappointment with those decisions and lash out at anyone who has it better/easier than you, namely OPG/Hydro employees. Did you have the opportunity to work for Hydro but turned it down or did you not pass the aptitude test in the first place? 

Where was that video taken?  

Why don’t we see all the Hydro One guys walking wires?  Simple.  They don’t.  A small percentage may and the rest may go up in buckets or boom trucks.  So don’t pretend they all do.

As for risk there is some that is greatly mitigated by equipment and procedure.  As for a guy getting hurt on the job it would most likely be not following procedure or employee error that would cause an injury.  It’s carelessness and complacency doing the same job over and over and not giving the respect to the job that causes issues.

Yes they go out in storms.  And They are paid well for it.  But don’t pretend there are a lot of other days they dog it. And there is a lot of others that work in inclement or poor conditions and very dangerous jobs with hirer risk and considerable less pay.

Please Don’t compare a hydro lineman to a doctor or surgeon.  A doctor screws up and someone else dies.  A hydro guy screws up and most of the time the customer aka taxpayer pays while they fix his fuck up.  They don’t compare and only an over paid hydro guy would believe they do. 

And your right  a lot of hydro guys have it easy.  I am glad you admit that they are overpaid for the work they do.  Time to cut the fat from Hydro.

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Fail feels this issue hits close to home for him...... as he clearly has had many unsecured items fall from aircraft and hit him squarely on his cranium.   

I know how governments work, they are all the same.  With this amount of death something big will happen with the rules.  Seatbelt will be the fist taken care of.

As for close to home, ya I know a few sparkies hurt bad, lose of limbs, all sort of shit.  Never mind guys working at heights where I know even more that have been injured.  

Health & Safety is big in government, so ya its something I don't like hearing about people hurt or worse killed for something that might have been able to be prevented.

Why did you post this thread?  

The "rules" are already quite strict for certified aircraft.  And are autofastening seatbelts coming next? 

With "this amount of death", big lawsuits will come.  Sometimes, that is all.  

I posted this here, because I wanted you to read it, and wasn't sure if High Times had covered the story or not. 

4 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I was trying to find a pic of the bag on one of their helicopters but haven't found on it,   how the hell can a bag fall off :dunno:  freak accident for sure.

How is it secured?

why isn't is in a metal box :dunno:  

4 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

The "rules" are already quite strict for certified aircraft.  And are autofastening seatbelts coming next? 

With "this amount of death", big lawsuits will come.  Sometimes, that is all.  

I posted this here, because I wanted you to read it, and wasn't sure if High Times had covered the story or not. 

lol you know that is a site I haven't really been on, I think I will start 

thanks for the heads up 

23 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Why don’t we see all the Hydro One guys walking wires?  Simple.  They don’t.  A small percentage may and the rest may go up in buckets or boom trucks.  So don’t pretend they all do.

As for risk there is some that is greatly mitigated by equipment and procedure.  As for a guy getting hurt on the job it would most likely be not following procedure or employee error that would cause an injury.  It’s carelessness and complacency doing the same job over and over and not giving the respect to the job that causes issues.

Yes they go out in storms.  And They are paid well for it.  But don’t pretend there are a lot of other days they dog it. And there is a lot of others that work in inclement or poor conditions and very dangerous jobs with hirer risk and considerable less pay.

Please Don’t compare a hydro lineman to a doctor or surgeon.  A doctor screws up and someone else dies.  A hydro guy screws up and most of the time the customer aka taxpayer pays while they fix his fuck up.  They don’t compare and only an over paid hydro guy would believe they do. 

And your right  a lot of hydro guys have it easy.  I am glad you admit that they are overpaid for the work they do.  Time to cut the fat from Hydro.

Hey Mr. Angry 

Down time?  these guys were going out to do regular maintenance :dunno:  something do regularly :dunno:  

Pilot makes 166k average, that doesn't seem too much to me

a line worker making 100k doesn't seem too much either 

Sk a firefighter making 80k sitting around waiting for the Call have BBQ's, watching TV, Sleeping, go out to a car accident, you okay with that :dunno:  

How about Nurses?  they don't make what either of these make in fact they are the lowest paid out of the big 4 cops,  teacher, fire.

True front line workers and have been for centuries 

5 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Hey Mr. Angry 

Down time?  these guys were going out to do regular maintenance :dunno:  something do regularly :dunno:  

Pilot makes 166k average, that doesn't seem too much to me

a line worker making 100k doesn't seem too much either 

Sk a firefighter making 80k sitting around waiting for the Call have BBQ's, watching TV, Sleeping, go out to a car accident, you okay with that :dunno:  

How about Nurses?  they don't make what either of these make in fact they are the lowest paid out of the big 4 cops,  teacher, fire.

True front line workers and have been for centuries 

Sorry Fail, not angry.  Just dont buy into the how deserving the public sector union guys are.

Answer my question.  Where was Irv's video shot?

And what company were the guys walking the lines employed by?

9 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I know how governments work, they are all the same.  With this amount of death something big will happen with the rules.  Seatbelt will be the fist taken care of.

As for close to home, ya I know a few sparkies hurt bad, lose of limbs, all sort of shit.  Never mind guys working at heights where I know even more that have been injured.  

Health & Safety is big in government, so ya its something I don't like hearing about people hurt or worse killed for something that might have been able to be prevented.

Why did you post this thread?  

Its big everywhere, but like Poncho said shit happens.

9 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I was trying to find a pic of the bag on one of their helicopters but haven't found on it,   how the hell can a bag fall off :dunno:  freak accident for sure.

How is it secured?

All good questions.

11 hours ago, Sksman said:

Admit it, you missed your calling and and now you have burr up your ass because of it. You also remind me, SKS, that you'd be one of those persons who'd be the first to whine and moan if your power was out any longer than 10 minutes. Good luck going forward with whatever it is you do, I certainly hope things get better for you. :bc:

11 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

How is it secured?

Wait for the final report, it will answer your questions.  Also the TSBC are not the regulator, they only issue Safety Recommendations.  Transport Canada is the Airworthiness Authority.