Snowmobile Fatality Near Tweed

revrnd

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 2strokemerc said:

Speed may have been a factor, or maybe inexperience.  A sad day for the family.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/16-year-old-dies-after-early-morning-snowmobile-crash-1.3737716

When I was 16 the biggest sleds out there were 521's, 540's and  600's. Not to mention it was fairly rare to see any teenager riding that "big iron ". Now you see kids on new 800's all the time and it's no secret that new eights and even sixes pushing 120 hp+ are pretty much weapons.  No argument that at 16 years of age most kids have the size, strength, reflexes and even experience to ride those sleds and ride them well. However what they lack is the maturity to make good decisions that can keep them from getting hurt. I know that I was invincible at 16 and somehow I survived, but I'm not sure it would've turned out as well if my RZ350 was swapped out for an R1 or my Moto-ski GPS was upgraded to a new 800 with 150 ponies. 

16 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

When I was 16 the biggest sleds out there were 521's, 540's and  600's. Not to mention it was fairly rare to see any teenager riding that "big iron ". Now you see kids on new 800's all the time and it's no secret that new eights and even sixes pushing 120 hp+ are pretty much weapons.  No argument that at 16 years of age most kids have the size, strength, reflexes and even experience to ride those sleds and ride them well. However what they lack is the maturity to make good decisions that can keep them from getting hurt. I know that I was invincible at 16 and somehow I survived, but I'm not sure it would've turned out as well if my RZ350 was swapped out for an R1 or my Moto-ski GPS was upgraded to a new 800 with 150 ponies. 

Times have changed....the biggest sleds when I was 20 or so were Polaris 250, 340, 440, that was the late 70’s. No one else had another to compete.  Times have changed. Regardless.....for the same reasoning we allow a kid to get a drivers license on a Civic then throw him or her the keys to a 400 hp Benz, BMW or average Vette.......it is time for graduated licensing......you have to earn it to drive it...we do it in piloting, why not in road driving...really?

• Like 1

same with motor bikes, kid get a M1 then and goes out and buy an R1, puts it in a corner and has no idea how to push pull to keep it from standing up and going straight instead of cornering the turn

13 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I think riding a sled at 4:30am had more to do with this than if it was a 440 or 600 engine.

Perhaps but slowing down from 30mph with a 300lb 30 hp machine is easier then slowing a 500 lb 120 hp sled at 04:30 in the am. But you are correct, who the fuck rides at 4:30 am....ever...!!  

Edited by Poncho

1 hour ago, toslow said:

same with motor bikes, kid get a M1 then and goes out and buy an R1, puts it in a corner and has no idea how to push pull to keep it from standing up and going straight instead of cornering the turn

That was a huge problem for a while, until the insurance companies got involved and now no kid can afford to insure a crotch rocket. Starting to see the same thing happening with sleds. Lots of younger guys posting on Sledcore that they can't find anybody that will insure them on an 800.

9 hours ago, Poncho said:

Perhaps but slowing down from 30mph with a 300lb 30 hp machine is easier then slowing a 500 lb 120 hp sled at 04:30 in the am. But you are correct, who the fuck rides at 4:30 am....ever...!!  

We used to be out riding at 4:30am.  The bar kicked us out at 1 or 1:30am. Then we had a 2 hour ride home with a couple stops to bullshit and drink.  

But as Pete already mentioned back then the big sleds in the group were only 500’s or so.  No big suspension and deep lugged tracks.  No gps.  You watched the trail to see where you were going not a little screen.  

15 hours ago, Sksman said:

We used to be out riding at 4:30am.  The bar kicked us out at 1 or 1:30am. Then we had a 2 hour ride home with a couple stops to bullshit and drink.  

But as Pete already mentioned back then the big sleds in the group were only 500’s or so.  No big suspension and deep lugged tracks.  No gps.  You watched the trail to see where you were going not a little screen.  

Calling Odot1.....come in Odot1.....we have an SKS rider out past his bed time....approach will caution....he might be angry after being kicked out of a drinking establishment at 1:30am....he will be closely watching the trail as his GPS app is no good....:whistle:

4 hours ago, Sksman said:

Drink lemonade, cookies, and milk.

Everyone knows that you don't drink cookies. Personally I like to crush them up then snort 'em. Unless they are Oreos, ya gotta free base those suckers - mmmmmm.

• Haha 1