Helmets

Tommy

I bought a GMAX for a good penny this year, and had a horrible draft inside the helmet, I realize -25 was cold but it was bad. I just cant get it to feel warm. The heated face shield is nice, no issues what so ever with freezing up, but just a terrible draft for some reason right around the eyes.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, steve6 said:

I bought a GMAX for a good penny this year, and had a horrible draft inside the helmet, I realize -25 was cold but it was bad. I just cant get it to feel warm. The heated face shield is nice, no issues what so ever with freezing up, but just a terrible draft for some reason right around the eyes.

The modular?

My buddy bought the modular last year and never wore it. We were out last week in -17ish temps and he was frozen. Icicles hanging from his eyelashes and eyebrows and his face was beet red. He said when he got in to my dust it would snow inside his helmet.

I have read similar reports like this over the last few years about GMAX.

Myself, I have my Nolan modular with electric shield that I paid a good buck for at the Snowmobile show in Toronto a few years ago. Clary Sports from Quebec was the sole distributor. It has the built-in communicators. I got one for Di at the same time. Love the helmet, its a warm, comfortable, quality piece.

A couple of years ago I broke the connector on the electric cord. These helmets use a special insert-and-turn type of connection at the shield so that the cord won't become detached. Great idea except when tugged on there is nothing to give so the wires themselves become the weak link. I email and call Clary for the part. I don't get a response so I start hunting electronic shops and find a piece that fits and adapt that to my cord, not perfect but it works. I finally hear from Clary and I order a couple cords and a replacement shield since mine was scratched.

Since I've hardly ridden the last 2 years, I never got around to mounting the replacement shield. I put it on last week. Damn, look at that, they changed the fitting for the cord to a conventional RCA type plug. PERFECT. Wish I'd done it sooner. I email Clary right away to get another shield for Di as she has the last real cord on her helmet and its hanging by a thread.

They email back "Sorry, all Nolan snowmobile product was discontinued and we have nothing left in parts."

>:(

We paid $900/each for these helmets with communicators. A few years ago they came out with a communicator with double the range so I bought those for around $400 and change.

Now I can't buy a fucking shield? Really?

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The modular?

My buddy bought the modular last year and never wore it. We were out last week in -17ish temps and he was frozen. Icicles hanging from his eyelashes and eyebrows and his face was beet red. He said when he got in to my dust it would snow inside his helmet.

I have read similar reports like this over the last few years about GMAX.

Myself, I have my Nolan modular with electric shield that I paid a good buck for at the Snowmobile show in Toronto a few years ago. Clary Sports from Quebec was the sole distributor. It has the built-in communicators. I got one for Di at the same time. Love the helmet, its a warm, comfortable, quality piece.

A couple of years ago I broke the connector on the electric cord. These helmets use a special insert-and-turn type of connection at the shield so that the cord won't become detached. Great idea except when tugged on there is nothing to give so the wires themselves become the weak link. I email and call Clary for the part. I don't get a response so I start hunting electronic shops and find a piece that fits and adapt that to my cord, not perfect but it works. I finally hear from Clary and I order a couple cords and a replacement shield since mine was scratched.

Since I've hardly ridden the last 2 years, I never got around to mounting the replacement shield. I put it on last week. Damn, look at that, they changed the fitting for the cord to a conventional RCA type plug. PERFECT. Wish I'd done it sooner. I email Clary right away to get another shield for Di as she has the last real cord on her helmet and its hanging by a thread.

They email back "Sorry, all Nolan snowmobile product was discontinued and we have nothing left in parts."

>:(

We paid $900/each for these helmets with communicators. A few years ago they came out with a communicator with double the range so I bought those for around $400 and change.

Now I can't buy a fucking shield? Really?

That sux , maybe eBay get a few . 

Just now, StevieWonder said:

That sux , maybe eBay get a few . 

Been looking, nothing yet.

I'm starting to think this helmet was a Clary Sports thing. Maybe they had the electric shields made themselves.

Nothing comes up in a search.

Why not just mod hers with an RCA?  Just use an old visor connector, or fab one up, epoxy/plastic weld, etc.  If you guys otherwise like the helmets, that's what I would do. 

I'm starting to think this helmet was a Clary Sports thing. Maybe they had the electric shields made themselves.

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Why not just mod hers with an RCA?  Just use an old visor connector, or fab one up, epoxy/plastic weld, etc.  If you guys otherwise like the helmets, that's what I would do. 

Because I want to replace her shield dumbass. Its old and full of scratches.

The whole point is "I can't buy a shield if I want one". That's a problem.

Edited by Blackstar

You had only mentioned the cord issue.

So, you spent $1800 on defunct helmets...... and I'm the dumbass?  Lol

Use some Novus 2 on the scratches, dickhead. 

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Because I want to replace her shield dumbass. Its old and full of scratches.

Edited by Puzzleboy

16 hours ago, steve6 said:

You can usually fix this with a bigger chin skirt. Order the chin skirt off of the new Ski-Doo Ex-2 Enduro helmet from any doo dealer. I think they are around $13 bucks. They are the biggest I've ever seen. 

IMG-20171228-WA0012.jpeg

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Are these helmets not similar to any other?

It seems these days so many helmets look the same with different brand name or graphics.

Is it possible a visor from another brand of helmet will work?

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Are these helmets not similar to any other?

It seems these days so many helmets look the same with different brand name or graphics.

Is it possible a visor from another brand of helmet will work?

Its a thought but I don't think there is nothing generic about this shield. Embossed in it says Nolangroup, Made In Italy.

1 hour ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

You can usually fix this with a bigger chin skirt. Order the chin skirt off of the new Ski-Doo Ex-2 Enduro helmet from any doo dealer. I think they are around $13 bucks. They are the biggest I've ever seen. 

IMG-20171228-WA0012.jpeg

Looks like the one that comes with the Titan.  They also send another piece that goes around the face opening to help with any drafts as well

3 minutes ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

My buddy just bought the titan from Orps so I will get to try before I buy. I'm sure it'll be a great helmet for most of the time but I suspect not warm enough for a Quebec or Cochrane trip where you might be running railbed in -25 to -30

Depends on your comfort levels.....my "cold" 509 did okay on a trip to both areas a few years ago....

1 hour ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

My buddy just bought the titan from Orps so I will get to try before I buy. I'm sure it'll be a great helmet for most of the time but I suspect not warm enough for a Quebec or Cochrane trip where you might be running railbed in -25 to -30

Definitely worth a try first.  I rode the rail bed out to midland and back on Saturday and didn't get any cold enough air coming through to keep me from riding.  I also didn't have the bigger chin curtain or the one to go around the face more installed either.  It's the same as other helmets though I guess.  Some love them and some hate them

We have sold a ton of new titans this year with all positive feedback. Sitting at about 50/50 of people needing the electric even when it was really cold. The few updates they made really corrected short falls from last year. Even adding a cold weather kit.

Only gripe is they fit different if you have a skinnier egg shaped head.

Edited by atc