Helmets

Tommy

1 hour ago, Muskoka Rider said:

For anyone that likes to ride faster than 100kmh those visors on mx helmets suck big time. I removed mine as they serve no purpose on a trail sled. They are there for the roost so ya, if you are a sno cross racer it is needed, a trail rider not so much, it just pulls on your neck.

Not for roost lol... it blocks the sun like a baseball cap when the sun overhead. 

7 hours ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

The quest for the "perfect helmet" continues, although sadly it doesn't exist. I grabbed a new bucket this year, I like the dual sports because you get the warmth and noise block of a full face but the look and sunvisor of a motorcross helmet. I loved my motocross with goggles down to about -18 but the wind noise was unbearable and communicators were much harder to use.

Trying the new dual sport 509 Delta R3...if the internal pull down sunscreen doesn't get fog up or get iced over when not in use I think I'd be happy. That is of course assuming its a warm and quite. 

509-hel-dco-1.jpg

images.jpg

I like the way these things are evolving.  Give us some feedback on how you like this one.  Sharp lid!  :bc:

7 minutes ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

Not for roost lol... it blocks the sun like a baseball cap when the sun overhead. 

For "roost" too though!  Some SXers even have some little plastic extensions on them.

3 hours ago, Muskoka Rider said:

Do you not find the wind pulls hard on your head when riding fast with the visor attached to the helmet. I pulled mine off. Then again I ride a sled, I am not in a fashion show.

doesn't grab for me either.  are you always looking at the sky? :dunno:  

Just now, Kev144 said:

doesn't grab for me either.  are you always looking at the sky? :dunno:  

No, not looking up, but when you ride fast it is prudent to look further ahead and this entails raising your head out of a tucked down position. These helmets are made for MX, not speed, that is a fact.

Just now, Muskoka Rider said:

No, not looking up, but when you ride fast it is prudent to look further ahead and this entails raising your head out of a tucked down position. These helmets are made for MX, not speed, that is a fact.

i guess mine is special .  No real issues at speed 70-80 mph and -25

4 minutes ago, Muskoka Rider said:

maybe I have weak neck muscles, lol. I just know the helmet is much nicer to use with the beak removed. But I am sad because I no longer look like Tucker.

Plus remember you drive a Doo, so the speeds you see are far faster that what we see......:guzzle:

Plus with the MX bucket and some of those monster stickers, you must see an extra few MPH. 

11 minutes ago, Muskoka Rider said:

maybe I have weak neck muscles, lol. I just know the helmet is much nicer to use with the beak removed. But I am sad because I no longer look like Tucker.

Mine will pull on me too.  I just rarely reach speeds that do it.

3 minutes ago, Muskoka Rider said:

DSCF5480.thumb.JPG.d7d5a0497a10495dd43149471f6a3393.JPG

No, you look like Darth Vader’s mini-me. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Tommy said:

New helmet is in. Super nice. love how it fits so far. X5's will probably be the goggle of choice as they do seem to fit very well

What is different about the x5?

I have the original Aviators, need to buy new lense for them though, but maybe I will try a new goggle instead....

39 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What is different about the x5?

I have the original Aviators, need to buy new lense for them though, but maybe I will try a new goggle instead....

Tried on microns revolvers last night. they are slick. ID get kingpins or revolvers forsure

19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Tried on microns revolvers last night. they are slick. ID get kingpins or revolvers forsure

I was looking at the Revolver, but it seem to be the same as the Aviators, but with the easier design for lense replacement.....which I normally do not do much of, generally keep the same lense for the season, unless something happens, so that added feature is not needed for me.

The Kingpin's with the option of a heated lense is nice for sure.  

509 helmets are junk, your fly lid is a far better lid. 509 goggles look great but that’s about it. 

The cores of most helmets are essentially styrofoam, one and done as far as a hit to the head goes. I think the visor issue depends on the helmet, I haven’t had the wind catch the visor on my current lid. My sled does only top out at around 80mph so maybe that’s why

• Like 1

You're saying 509's years of helmet building efforts have been fruitless?  Lol

Buy a good, Snell rated helmet from a reputable manufacturer.  You can't go wrong. 

Just now, Sedz said:

509 helmets are junk, your fly lid is a far better lid. 509 goggles look great but that’s about it. 

The cores of most helmets are essentially styrofoam, one and done as far as a hit to the head goes. I think the visor issue depends on the helmet, I haven’t had the wind catch the visor on my current lid. My sled does only top out at around 80mph so maybe that’s why

Edited by Puzzleboy

14 hours ago, Sedz said:

Curious, have you cut open a helmet to actually see what the guts are made of?

Has that not always been the rule with any helmet, one impact and they are done.....need to be replaced.

1 hour ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

509 doesn't build their own.

Like anything else, there are few manufactures that make the same product for many with different names. 

I recall the 509 helmets looked just like others that people were suggesting were so much better....perhaps they are, I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:49 AM, TheOtherDoonut said:

The quest for the "perfect helmet" continues, although sadly it doesn't exist. I grabbed a new bucket this year, I like the dual sports because you get the warmth and noise block of a full face but the look and sunvisor of a motorcross helmet. I loved my motocross with goggles down to about -18 but the wind noise was unbearable and communicators were much harder to use.

Trying the new dual sport 509 Delta R3...if the internal pull down sunscreen doesn't get fog up or get iced over when not in use I think I'd be happy. That is of course assuming its a warm and quite. 

509-hel-dco-1.jpg

images.jpg

Not sure if anyone cares but here's my 509 Delta 3 helmet review.

Had a chance to try this new helmet over the xmas break...did not like it at all. The visor fogs up so quick it's not funny, even when plugged in the sides still ice up(riding in -13). The helmet is also surprisingly cold even with all the vents closed of which there are only 2. Doesn't make sense to me because by all accounts it appears to be a warm design having minimal vents. Also the slide down sun visor is as useless as every other one that has been tried by various manus over the years, when you slide it down it's covered in snow dust and is pre-fogged for your enjoyment. It appears to me heat from your breath makes it's way into the visor slot along with fine snow dust which then sticks to the sunvisor.

On the positive side I was luckily able to return it for a full refund, bottom line it's an over priced POS that simply doesn't work as advertised.

Anyone here happen try the new CKX Titan with electric goggles? Really spendy to just give it a shot!

https://www.ckxgear.com/en-ca/products/snowmobile/helmets/off-road-helmets/solid-included-electric-210-goggles-ckx-titan-off-road-modular-helmet-winter

1 hour ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

Not sure if anyone cares but here's my 509 Delta 3 helmet review.

Had a chance to try this new helmet over the xmas break...did not like it at all. The visor fogs up so quick it's not funny, even when plugged in the sides still ice up(riding in -13). The helmet is also surprisingly cold even with all the vents closed of which there are only 2. Doesn't make sense to me because by all accounts it appears to be a warm design having minimal vents. Also the slide down sun visor is as useless as every other one that has been tried by various manus over the years, when you slide it down it's covered in snow dust and is pre-fogged for your enjoyment. It appears to me heat from your breath makes it's way into the visor slot along with fine snow dust which then sticks to the sunvisor.

On the positive side I was luckily able to return it for a full refund, bottom line it's an over priced POS that simply doesn't work as advertised.

Anyone here happen try the new CKX Titan with electric goggles? Really spendy to just give it a shot!

https://www.ckxgear.com/en-ca/products/snowmobile/helmets/off-road-helmets/solid-included-electric-210-goggles-ckx-titan-off-road-modular-helmet-winter

I have a titan without electric goggles.  I rode on Saturday and had no fogging and no frost build up on the goggles.  I don't have all of the cold weather parts installed on the helmet and my head nor face got remotely cold.  Just had my normal balaclava on

Two weeks ago my son tried the CKK Titan without electric and they froze up pretty bad.  Got the tactical electric and tried them last weekend and they worked great.

We also have the pre-last year, ie no raised vents so CKK made a fix to an obvious issue.

Im starting to think about the Titan too.  I almost bought he BVS2 last week but didn't. My buddy was over the other night with one and took the tampon out of the mouth piece to get the water out of it... So gross it made me not want one.  And apparently if you don't ring it out, it leaks water down your chin