Helmets

Tommy

Just ordered my new lid. Fly F2 carbon fibre. Old faithful 509 evolution bucket isnt as trustworthy as it once was.

Anyone have experience as to whether or not my 4 $120+ sets of 509 goggles work well with these helmets?

49-00467.jpg

I think the same folks that many Fly also manu the 509's.  I think there's actually only 5 or 6 that make helmets for everyone but the big players (Arai, Shoei, etc).  They just put whosever name on it after the shell mold and design.

Still, nice lid!  I've got a CF 509 but looking at getting a newer one.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I think the same folks that many Fly also manu the 509's.  I think there's actually only 5 or 6 that make helmets for everyone but the big players (Arai, Shoei, etc).  They just put whosever name on it after the shell mold and design.

Still, nice lid!  I've got a CF 509 but looking at getting a newer one.

Yeah Ive  never heard anything bad about fly. Ill still use my 509 on the atv. But its worn out and doesnt seem to be as warm anymore either. ( Here comes someone to beak that open helmets arent warm anyways) 

Just now, Tommy said:

Yeah Ive  never heard anything bad about fly. Ill still use my 509 on the atv. But its worn out and doesnt seem to be as warm anymore either. ( Here comes someone to beak that open helmets arent warm anyways

:lol:

Yeah....and all motoX style come with mohawks.  :lmao: 

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Just ordered my new lid. Fly F2 carbon fibre. Old faithful 509 evolution bucket isnt as trustworthy as it once was.

Anyone have experience as to whether or not my 4 $120+ sets of 509 goggles work well with these helmets?

49-00467.jpg

Tommy, I have a Fly f2 carbon and use the 509's.  I have the X5 i find fit better than the regular sinisters.  There is a new google out this year i will try that is same sizeish as the X5 sinister but more foam.  

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yeah Ive  never heard anything bad about fly. Ill still use my 509 on the atv. But its worn out and doesnt seem to be as warm anymore either. ( Here comes someone to beak that open helmets arent warm anyways) 

:lol:x2

Just age Tommy, hard to come to terms with it, but the cold starts to go through you as times goes on......

5 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Fly carbon with Scott snowcross goggles. I bought my son a Fly carbon this year as well as all other helmets aren't even close to the comfort you get with a FLY

never been cold either.

You must be more of a man.....:news:

15 hours ago, Kev144 said:

Tommy, I have a Fly f2 carbon and use the 509's.  I have the X5 i find fit better than the regular sinisters.  There is a new google out this year i will try that is same sizeish as the X5 sinister but more foam.  

Cool. I have the OG sinister's, sinister X5's and the aviators. 

My original sinisters are pretty beat. I use them to keep mud and water out of my eyes now lol

15 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Cool. I have the OG sinister's, sinister X5's and the aviators. 

My original sinisters are pretty beat. I use them to keep mud and water out of my eyes now lol

Ya try the x5.  Mine seal pretty good.  The new ones can't recall the name have more foam.  Buddy got them at the show and I'll try em in my helmet 

13 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Ya try the x5.  Mine seal pretty good.  The new ones can't recall the name have more foam.  Buddy got them at the show and I'll try em in my helmet 

Kingpin? a buddy of mine has them too.

Amazing, when I was early 20’s we road with our only helmet and our visors open a crack to allow a draft to keep from fogging  up.  

Had one helmet for many years.  With same visor.  Never really looked out visor as it was up mostly. 

But then again our sleds had windshields that we used.  Had too. All weather to the fish huts. 

My Indy 500 had a tall windshield, rear carrier and a 5 gallon bucket for fish in the carrier.  

16 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Amazing, when I was early 20’s we road with our only helmet and our visors open a crack to allow a draft to keep from fogging  up.  

Had one helmet for many years.  With same visor.  Never really looked out visor as it was up mostly. 

But then again our sleds had windshields that we used.  Had too. All weather to the fish huts. 

My Indy 500 had a tall windshield, rear carrier and a 5 gallon bucket for fish in the carrier.  

I see people buying new helmets every year or two and don't get it. Yes if you're helmet has been impacted replace it but to do it for new graphics or a new colour, oh well... they're keeping somebody employed somewhere I guess.

14 hours ago, 02sled said:

I see people buying new helmets every year or two and don't get it. Yes if you're helmet has been impacted replace it but to do it for new graphics or a new colour, oh well... they're keeping somebody employed somewhere I guess.

The quest for the "perfect helmet" continues, although sadly it doesn't exist. I grabbed a new bucket this year, I like the dual sports because you get the warmth and noise block of a full face but the look and sunvisor of a motorcross helmet. I loved my motocross with goggles down to about -18 but the wind noise was unbearable and communicators were much harder to use.

Trying the new dual sport 509 Delta R3...if the internal pull down sunscreen doesn't get fog up or get iced over when not in use I think I'd be happy. That is of course assuming its a warm and quite. 

509-hel-dco-1.jpg

images.jpg

Edited by TheOtherDoonut

We're going backwards with helmets in pursuit of vanity and convenience.  My 20 year old HJC still works at -40, visor still works, and is Snell rated. 

No modulars are Snell rated, and everybody I've ridden with who has MX helmets, is always fucking around with it, bitching about cold, fogging, etc.  Hard to look cool when you're whining..... lol 

Except Stevie, he's manly.  He once completed the Iron Dog in a helmet made out of duct tape and polar bear hide, from a bear he killed and skinned with a carbide runner. 

• Haha 1

Trail's helmet has been impacted several times, but is still good to go. 

6 hours ago, 02sled said:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

The quest for the "perfect helmet" continues, although sadly it doesn't exist. I grabbed a new bucket this year, I like the dual sports because you get the warmth and noise block of a full face but the look and sunvisor of a motorcross helmet. I loved my motocross with goggles down to about -18 but the wind noise was unbearable and communicators were much harder to use.

Trying the new dual sport 509 Delta R3...if the internal pull down sunscreen doesn't get fog up or get iced over when not in use I think I'd be happy. That is of course assuming its a warm and quite. 

509-hel-dco-1.jpg

images.jpg

For anyone that likes to ride faster than 100kmh those visors on mx helmets suck big time. I removed mine as they serve no purpose on a trail sled. They are there for the roost so ya, if you are a sno cross racer it is needed, a trail rider not so much, it just pulls on your neck.

17 minutes ago, Muskoka Rider said:

Do you not find the wind pulls hard on your head when riding fast with the visor attached to the helmet. I pulled mine off. Then again I ride a sled, I am not in a fashion show.

No, my visor is adjusted on the low side and I usually ride looking straight and side to side, not to the sky, otherwise, yes, the wind grabs it for sure.

And tuthfully, my average high speed runs are between 80 to 90 MPH on my current sled.....no longer see 100 MPH or higher like before.

Fashion show....:lol: