• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41,070 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Mayor Emanuel says local economy is booming

By RAHM EMANUEL
Daily Splash columnist August 7, 2012 9:26PM

Updated: August 8, 2012 2:30AM

Here’s my economic quiz for the day: Which city led the country in job growth in the past year and experienced the largest drop in unemployment at 14.8 percent? Chicago.

Which city saw the greatest rise in home prices, 4.5 percent, in the latest Case-Shiller survey of 20 major metro areas? Chicago.

Which city is building 1,400 new hotel rooms and seeing the second biggest jump in hotel construction nationwide? Chicago.

Where did hotel occupancy rise to 90 percent in June and tourist spending set records by rising to
$12 billion in the past year? Chicago.

Where is demand for retail, manufacturing and shipping space higher than at any time in the past four years? Chicago.

Which downtown is seeing its first office tower built on spec since 1998 and seeing building sales rise to the highest level in five years? Chicago.

Where have seven companies moved their corporate headquarters and 33 companies expanded, creating 20,000 more jobs, all in a little over a year? You probably know by now: Chicago.

Those are just a few snapshots of Chicago’s recent success. Taken together, they show our economy creating jobs in nearly every sector and opportunity for Chicagoans of all skill sets. We are not riding a national trend; our strategy for economic growth is creating our own trend. Because we are not resting on our strengths but investing in them, companies have the confidence to invest and grow in Chicago.

Motorola Mobility’s decision to move its corporate headquarters and 3,000 jobs to the Merchandise Mart was one of the strongest votes of confidence in our future. The company’s choice of Chicago over Sunnyvale, Calif., or Seoul, South Korea, is a game changer for our economy. While Chicago is a leader in transportation and logistics, professional services, business consulting and the financial sector, Motorola Mobility’s move creates another pillar for growth and job creation. As the home to a global leader in the smartphone industry, Chicago is now a leading technological center. Our economy has never had greater diversity or depth.

We also know that wherever tech giants make their home, start-ups follow. Motorola Mobility will tap small companies with big ideas to develop new software and products. For code writers and designers looking to create the next blockbuster program, Chicago is a top destination. The second city is fast becoming a start-up city.

That hasn’t always been the case. For too long, we saw innovators get their start in Chicago only to make their names in Silicon Valley. While Paypal’s founders left Illinois a decade ago for California, Braintree, a company described as Paypal 2.0, is now adding 150 jobs in their West Loop headquarters. Companies that start in Chicago are staying in Chicago. They are confident about Chicago’s future and committed to our success.

It’s not just at places like Braintree, but in the building trades, construction and on the CTA, there are more opportunities. On the same day Braintree announced its expansion, the CTA hosted the first of three job fairs to recruit 400 new bus drivers. The positions are a small sample of the 30,000 jobs we are creating in the next three years as we modernize our roads, runways and rails. For welders, pipe fitters, mechanical engineers, laborers and others, in every community and corner of our city, Chicagoans have a better shot at good jobs and a middle-class standard of living.

The strategy behind our success is clear: We are investing in our infrastructure and in the skills and education of our workforce. At the same time, we are putting our fiscal house in order. We are investing in what works and what makes Chicago more economically competitive while reforming what doesn’t. By making the tough choices, we have cut our projected budget deficit in half for 2013. In the next budget, we will finish what we started and eliminate the structural deficit.

When we see Chicago leading the country in job growth and the growing confidence of companies in Chicago across the economic spectrum, we can have greater confidence in the choices we are making as a city. We are not yet where we need to be, but we know we are on our way and pointed in the right direction. Chicago is a city on the move.

From the comments:

8:04 AM on August 8, 2012

Which city leads the country in monthly murders and killings ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country in flash mob attacks ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country in the rise of sexual attacks ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country in attempted robberies ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country in rising taxes ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country in highest gas prices ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country in government corruption ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country in smoke & mirrrors ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country with the worst public education ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country with red light cameras ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country with the worst traffic ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country with political cronyism ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country with the dumbest voters ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country with lying to its' citizens ?
Chicago
Which city leads the country with pandering media ?
Chicago
And the list goes on......

:news:

#2 Al Czervik

Al Czervik

• USA Contributing Members
  • 45,243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

It just fucking kills that you that Chicago is doing so well under Emanuel. :lmao:

#3 Vince

Vince

Notorius

• 34,361 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

I've been telling you guys things are starting to rock :bc:

The strategy behind our success is clear: We are investing in our infrastructure and in the skills and education of our workforce. At the same time, we are putting our fiscal house in order. We are investing in what works and what makes Chicago more economically competitive while reforming what doesn’t. By making the tough choices, we have cut our projected budget deficit in half for 2013. In the next budget, we will finish what we started and eliminate the structural deficit.

#4 Sleepr2

Sleepr2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21,831 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Posted Image

REMAIN CALM!!! ALL IS WELL!

#5 Muttley

Muttley

Impressive Member...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,830 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

From the comments:

Be fair. Chicago does not have the worst traffic in the nation.

#6 Vince

Vince

Notorius

• 34,361 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

It just fucking kills that you that Chicago is doing so well under Emanuel. :lmao:

No bullshit, Rahm is doing what Republicans have said they were going to do for years and then didn't do anything remotely close to what they said.

#7 Velvet Love

Velvet Love

French Canadians Suck

• 69,801 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm glad they are doing well....but lets get a few things clear.

Chicago has more money from stim, and they used it to pay down some debt and start projects. Good....

BUT....

Lets not forget WHY these companies have come there. Tax incentives. If the feds cover a part of your deficits, you have some "free money" to play with in regards to TIF districts and "lets make a deal" incentives. This is all about money...and there is nobody BETTER connected then Rahm.

So...good? Yeah, it seems so now. But all that really happened is that US taxpayers are subsidizing US companies to move to Chicago. Its tax breaks for the big corporations...those very things liberals rail against.

This is driving the economy...and businesses love stable governments. They had to make long term deals to the city, but as long as Rahm continues to let public employees retire out, and keeps reducing debt, he'll be OK.

Funny. Whats happening in Chicago is exactly what most conservatives advocate, and most liberals despise. Do you know that we are all paying for Chicago to be successful?

#8 Wolfie Version 8.1

Wolfie Version 8.1

Woolie

• 37,215 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

You really think Chicago is "doing well?"

#9 Al Czervik

Al Czervik

• 45,243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

You really think Chicago is "doing well?"

Do you think Vince is lying?

How about Anler?

#10 Vince

Vince

Notorius

• 34,361 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Sour grapes Huizenga, the Merchadise Mart nor any other part of downtown is a TIF district, Rahm has cut spending.

Now give us some links so we can see where Chicago got a disproportionate amount of stimulus money :news:

#11 Dirty Dawg

Dirty Dawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15,427 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Well good for Chicago :bc:

Lotta bad press against Chi town in my industry, trade show unions at McCormick Place drove one of the biggest trade shows in the continent down to Orlando.

#12 Gutter

Gutter

Set Sail For Fail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Any improvement is a great thing in this economy, hope it continues and picks up in more places.

#13 Mainecat

Mainecat

• 50,870 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

When hoping for fail is all you have your pathetic.

#14 Sleepr2

Sleepr2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21,831 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Well good for Chicago :bc:

Lotta bad press against Chi town in my industry, trade show unions at McCormick Place drove one of the biggest trade shows in the continent down to Orlando.

Yup, the main reason I ditched the ISA shows years ago.

#15 Velvet Love

Velvet Love

French Canadians Suck

• 69,801 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Sour grapes Huizenga, the Merchadise Mart nor any other part of downtown is a TIF district, Rahm has cut spending.

Now give us some links so we can see where Chicago got a disproportionate amount of stimulus money :news:

No sour grapes dude. My family lives in that city and I still love it. BUT....I am not so blind as to say "OH....Chicago is doing well ALL ON ITS OWN!"

There is some back door tax dealing going on, I guarantee it. Also, TIF districts are CREATED out of thin air. There may not be one there now, but it doesn't mean that there wont be tomorrow.

I don't have the numbers on the stim money...but I would be willing to bet.......

#16 Al Czervik

Al Czervik

• 45,243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

No sour grapes dude. My family lives in that city and I still love it. BUT....I am not so blind as to say "OH....Chicago is doing well ALL ON ITS OWN!"

There is some back door tax dealing going on, I guarantee it. Also, TIF districts are CREATED out of thin air. There may not be one there now, but it doesn't mean that there wont be tomorrow.

I don't have the numbers on the stim money...but I would be willing to bet.......

So in other words you're talking out your ass...again. :linemup:

#17 spin_dry

spin_dry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25,440 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Festivals are doing fantastic. Lollapalooza tied an all time record attendance record last weekend and the institute of art has had a banner year. Chi is just fine despite all the rot gut media coverage. Ive got trip planned there real soon. Love the windy city. Maybe it's just not a place for cunts.

#18 hayward

hayward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'd like to see those links too. I'd also like to see the links that show what Rahm has cut spending on, Vince.

Time for both of you to put up or shut up and clear this mess up before we have to read 15 pages full of mud slinging and still don't know what's what.

#19 Dirty Dawg

Dirty Dawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15,427 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Yup, the main reason I ditched the ISA shows years ago.

Straight-up fucking extortion is what it was.

But I will say staying down on The Mag. Mile in Chi was cooler than Orlando IMO.

#20 Velvet Love

Velvet Love

French Canadians Suck

• 69,801 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

So in other words you're talking out your ass...again. :linemup:

Yeah, thats it.

Geeesch. YOu read?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users