Photo

Removing brake caliper and rotor on an XP?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfie Version 8.1

Wolfie Version 8.1

Woolie

• USA Contributing Members
  • 37,317 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

This weekend, I stuffed a rock into my tunnel area right below the brake rotor, and pushed it up so its rubbing now. It doesn't look serious, I should be able to pound it back into shape, but I need to remove the rotor and caliper to do so. I can't find any mounting bolts for the caliper :wtf:

#2 Catbox

Catbox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22,269 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

This weekend, I stuffed a rock into my tunnel area right below the brake rotor, and pushed it up so its rubbing now. It doesn't look serious, I should be able to pound it back into shape, but I need to remove the rotor and caliper to do so. I can't find any mounting bolts for the caliper :wtf:

I seem to remember a pic of you're yammi half up onto a big rock too, these things aren't friggin' jeeps you know!!! :lmao:

#3 Ben

Ben

I Contribute Nothing To This Site

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

Hey Wolfie, I had to remove the whole brake assy in order to change my track. There is no bolts holding on the caliper or the rotor. Just remove the circlip and pull the rotor of with caliper attached, once off you can pull the disk out of the rotor. You'll notice a little black cage type thing that protects the caliper if the belt blows, I removed that as well for helping move around the caliper.

#4 Wolfie Version 8.1

Wolfie Version 8.1

Woolie

• 37,317 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hey Wolfie, I had to remove the whole brake assy in order to change my track. There is no bolts holding on the caliper or the rotor. Just remove the circlip and pull the rotor of with caliper attached, once off you can pull the disk out of the rotor. You'll notice a little black cage type thing that protects the caliper if the belt blows, I removed that as well for helping move around the caliper.

Thanks Ben....I have two pairs of circlip pliers, and neither one is big enough to get that bitch off :lol:

#5 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks Ben....I have two pairs of circlip pliers, and neither one is big enough to get that bitch off :lol:

I just use needle nose plyers, or two nail punches.

#6 s pump

s pump

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

How big is it. I have a pretty good set of C clip pliers if you need it.........2 feet in Mts of Vt there saying....

#7 Webba

Webba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86,256 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

How big is it. I have a pretty good set of C clip pliers if you need it.........2 feet in Mts of Vt there saying....

Beter bring some spare riding gear in case someone doesnt bring theirs Gary :fluffy: :bc:

#8 Sugarloaf

Sugarloaf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

Can't help you. My XP was made to ride in snow so I've never had an issue with a rock... that's why they call them snow machines not rock pile machines :dunno: :lmao: :lol:

#9 Webba

Webba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86,256 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

Can't help you. My XP was made to ride in snow so I've never had an issue with a rock... that's why they call them snow machines not rock pile machines :dunno: :lmao: :lol:

:lol:

#10 99mxz600

99mxz600

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

:lol: He isn't real bright and sounds like someone else I know on these sites, always asking stupid questions when it comes to working on shit. :snack:

#11 Sludgey

Sludgey

moto is a stupid nigger

• CDN Contributing Members
  • 36,992 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

the caliper is bolted to the tunnel behind rotor. you can get at the torx head bolts through the holes in the rotor. you might need to apply a little heat to get the caliper housing off the bearing though.

#12 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

the caliper is bolted to the tunnel behind rotor. you can get at the torx head bolts through the holes in the rotor. you might need to apply a little heat to get the caliper housing off the bearing though.

Shit your right! Sorry Wolf, forgot all about the plate that hold the bearing steady.

#13 Wolfie Version 8.1

Wolfie Version 8.1

Woolie

• 37,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

Shit your right! Sorry Wolf, forgot all about the plate that hold the bearing steady.

Yeah, ya mean that plate that I somehow managed to break today, when I went to put it back together? Still like to kick Francois the engineer who designed this thing, right in the nuggets for mounting a brake disc that close and vulnerable to the snow.

#14 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, ya mean that plate that I somehow managed to break today, when I went to put it back together? Still like to kick Francois the engineer who designed this thing, right in the nuggets for mounting a brake disc that close and vulnerable to the snow.

You broke the plate on the inside of the tunnel? I don't think you have to move that plate to get the caliper off just unbolt it.

#15 Wolfie Version 8.1

Wolfie Version 8.1

Woolie

• 37,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

You broke the plate on the inside of the tunnel? I don't think you have to move that plate to get the caliper off just unbolt it.

well, it got loose, after it was unbolted. It lines up and swivels into place, which aligns and holds it for the caliper torx screws that bolt into it. Given that its described as a "bearing plate", and not a "caliper mounting plate", and given that the bearing essentially pressfits onto the caliper, you have to apply a decent amount of torque to get the bearing to seat into the caliper housing. I cross tightened it, thought I was pretty thorough, but the mf'er somehow got jacked up, bent, and eventually cracked as I torqued it down. Still not happy with that design at all.

#16 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

well, it got loose, after it was unbolted. It lines up and swivels into place, which aligns and holds it for the caliper torx screws that bolt into it. Given that its described as a "bearing plate", and not a "caliper mounting plate", and given that the bearing essentially pressfits onto the caliper, you have to apply a decent amount of torque to get the bearing to seat into the caliper housing. I cross tightened it, thought I was pretty thorough, but the mf'er somehow got jacked up, bent, and eventually cracked as I torqued it down. Still not happy with that design at all.

That's weird? Mine was hard, although I had to pry the place off to get the drive shaft off, the main reason for that plate is too hold the bearing.

#17 Sludgey

Sludgey

moto is a stupid nigger

• 36,992 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

i've never actually had a problem with pressing the housing back on the bearing with the bolts. did you have the bearing plate in place properly? there is three tabs that you have to put in place on the tunnel and give the plate a turn. if these arent in place properly i could see that plate breaking quite easily.

#18 grggade

grggade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

Lol I know how you feel Wolfie , I ve got pretty good on the Rev's , but our the XR & Xp are a whole new thing :bh:

#19 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

Lol I know how you feel Wolfie , I ve got pretty good on the Rev's , but our the XR & Xp are a whole new thing :bh:

I love working on the XP.

#20 Sludgey

Sludgey

moto is a stupid nigger

• 36,992 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

I love working on the XP.

it's actually not that bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users